Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

just a quick question

just a quick question

Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

chadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the rough
Default just a quick question

Received a WP in august last year, from a company who acquired a positive LMO, flag-poled at the border and paid for the Fixed WP.

Company was aware of my status, (I was fully qualified in the Uk however certain aspects needed to be transferred to canadian equivalency) and informed me that this wouldn't be a problem. Hence my signing a contract and the accepted WP.

I had to request a letter from the company, stating that i hadnt worked for them the past 5 months, as i was still waiting for a 'trainer' of sorts, to see what level i was at.

Letter received, and it states that the company did not have any work for me as i was not at a level they could not offer me employment.

funny way to be told i think, What should i do now, as i still have the fixed WP from them?

Any help would be appreciated, as im still not employed here, and looking yet again
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just a quick question

Originally Posted by chadwicks
Received a WP in august last year, from a company who acquired a positive LMO, flag-poled at the border and paid for the Fixed WP.

Company was aware of my status, (I was fully qualified in the Uk however certain aspects needed to be transferred to canadian equivalency) and informed me that this wouldn't be a problem. Hence my signing a contract and the accepted WP.

I had to request a letter from the company, stating that i hadnt worked for them the past 5 months, as i was still waiting for a 'trainer' of sorts, to see what level i was at.

Letter received, and it states that the company did not have any work for me as i was not at a level they could not offer me employment.

funny way to be told i think, What should i do now, as i still have the fixed WP from them?

Any help would be appreciated, as im still not employed here, and looking yet again
You seem to hear so much of this sort of shoddy crap! Canadian work ethics are, in my opinion at least, pretty poor on the whole. ~I'm really sorry you're in this predicament. What do you do?

We deal with all sorts of suppliers, customers and clients, distributors etc, and the word I would use as a general collective would be "flakey". The answer is always "yes" irrespective of whether the reality will be "yes" as well. Do you supply freezer tolerant boxes? - "yes"; Really? - (1 month later) actually "no" - what's a freezer? Oh! Cold storage! - "no".

I don't know what to suggest. Can you get your qualifications/status verified yourself? Maybe then they would consider you again for the original role.

All I can say - not that it's much comfort - is that your frustrations aren't unique!

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

chadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the roughchadwicks is a jewel in the rough

The job was for Heavy haulage with a major company.

I thought it would have been the best/easiest way for me to convert my skills (i was in a logistical role primarily within the military) after paying for all of my tests, i was told to wait out, as the company would assess me and then submit me to do the Canadian road test. But they never got round to it.

granted it was silly of me to trust someone else with my possible employment. But its a learning curve.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:20 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it will be much comfort, but it's not entirely a "foreigner - TWP" sort of thing. This sort of nonsense happens to "Canadian - Canadians" as well all the time.

the answer is always "yes" until the crunch, then it's "probably", then it's "maybe", then it "actually - No". "Sorry Man - some sort of mixup - by someone else". That's another thing I notice - no-one takes ownership of a problem or issue. They'll look into it 'cos I can see someone screwed up somewhere - just not here!!

(Apart from bringing electricals with you to Canada when you emigrate, this is my next biggest bugbear!!) Rant Rant!!

Last edited by rivingtonpike; Jan 30th 2013 at 5:20 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:26 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have all the qualification you need now? HAve you done the canadian test?

If not then I would go ahead with that on my own if I could afford too.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thats looking like the best option, after all i have the test fee paid for, with regards to the money spent on the WP it will be taken as a loss.

Shame really, was a nice looking bit of paper haha