Reload this Page >

Is the just greener

Is the just greener

Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

concretehead73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the just greener

HI ALL,

could it be done,move entire family and set up in canada. i am a carpenter foreman on formwork,wife is monestori teacher and 2 of our 3 kids at school.
is there work? is the life style any different ? or is it a case of the grass is always greener?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the just greener

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It can be done. As to whether your life will be better, nobody on here will be able to tell you that I'm afraid - it will really depend on your current life and what you want out of it, whether Canada will suit you, how much being 'homesick' or away from friends/family will affect you etc.

Start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for info. This article is a good starting point to help you understand the immigration side of things............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration Pay particular attention to the Labour Shortages article linked to.

This may help your wife understand about teaching.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

This you need to read so you can see what you need to do to get your qualifications recognised over there as a carpenter..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Skilled_Trades

And there is also a whole section on Canadian lifestyle which you should read.

One last thing - once you've done some initial research you'll need to plan a reccie trip, partly to check that you love the country if you haven't already been (sounds as if you haven't from what you've said) but also to find job. So this article is also essential reading, together with the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, which it links to at the bottom of the page.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by concretehead73
HI ALL,

could it be done,move entire family and set up in canada. i am a carpenter foreman on formwork,wife is monestori teacher and 2 of our 3 kids at school.
is there work? is the life style any different ? or is it a case of the grass is always greener?
For a bit of a guide have a look at www.cbc.ca/local . On this site you can watch the evening news from across Canada. It will give you an idea how things are.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:27 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Christmasoompa has given you the best advice in her post above. Much of life, no matter where you live, has a goodly sized luck factor, but most things just don't fall into your lap. There is a great deal of work required by you in any attempt to emigrate from UK to Canada. If you're serious and not just giving it some light thought then most of what you want to know about coming/living here can be found on this website. There are some who have made the move and straight hate it, some who think it's just okay, no better no worse and many (most, I think) who just revel in the Canadian way of life.
In other words, GET READING.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:36 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I've seen loads of Montessori schools here, I didn't even know what it was before I came here - wasn't even on my radar.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.montessori-namta.org/Namt...al/Canada.html gives a list of Montessori Schools in Canada.

I'm not sure what formwork is, but maybe your wife could get an 'in' to Canada through Montessori.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:59 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by concretehead73
HI ALL,

The economy here is starting to feel the effects of the us recession. Unemployment figures are on the rise (6.6 percent). The construction industry is really starting to slow down. I would have said 12 months ago you would have been highly in demand, now not so sure. Be sure to research.

Moving to another country is highly dependent on your own situation, ties to family, finances, type of industry your in etc. I've lived all over the UK, Europe, Russia, the US, and now BC - Canada has been the best fit for me. Although the first year was tough with respect to work etc. Looking back, i don't regret it for a minute.

England was going to the dogs in 1989 when i left - its seems to be even worse now.