Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just the essentials

Just the essentials

Old Dec 29th 2021, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just the essentials

Hi. Hopping over from the Spanish and Italian forums.
My wife will be working in Montreal for 3 months from mid January. She already fixed herself up with a place to stay so we're just looking for the basic info.

What kind of internet speeds can you expect in the city?
Can anyone recommend a good eSIM or SIM only deal. Data is more important than voice. She'll be there for the entire time with the odd hop to the USA and I'll be coming every couple of weeks.
Finally, the dreaded C word. I can't find any solid info but I'm guessing everything is open as normal with masks required? We're fully vaccinated and received a booster last month.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 2:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just the essentials

Welcome to the Canada side of the forum. Not sure we've got many members in Quebec, but hopefully some will be able to help, I'll amend your thread title so they're more likely to see the thread and respond to it.

Internet speeds will vary hugely, can she not ask the landlord of where she'll be staying? For SIM only this thread may be useful - Canadian pre paid SIM card ? Comparison site?

And just checking she's got a visa allowing her to do 3 months work in Canada, or doesn't need one?
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks for that. For the internet the response was 'it's really fast'. From what I've been reading he means around 40-50Mb or as us Europeans call it really slow. It's only for occasional work from home so not a big deal.

She's travelling on a laissez-passer so no worries with the visa but glad you mentioned it as it I forgot about the eTA.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 5:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Hi. Hopping over from the Spanish and Italian forums.
My wife will be working in Montreal for 3 months from mid January. She already fixed herself up with a place to stay so we're just looking for the basic info.

What kind of internet speeds can you expect in the city?
Can anyone recommend a good eSIM or SIM only deal. Data is more important than voice. She'll be there for the entire time with the odd hop to the USA and I'll be coming every couple of weeks.
Finally, the dreaded C word. I can't find any solid info butI'mguessing everything is open as normal with masks required? We're fully vaccinated and received a booster last month.

Thanks in advance.
She will need an eTA as well as the Arrive Canada app
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/eta.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

Nothing is 'as normal' in Canada presently.. For the current restrictions for Quebec see https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/heal...sures-in-force (If she will be passing through Ontario, she may want to check the restrictions there too - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/provinces )
She may also need a QR code/vaccine passport to visit restaurants / bars and other non-essential places https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/heal...lers-to-quebec
Individuals who do not live in Québec and are travelling in Québec may enter places and participate in activities requiring a vaccine passport if they present the following two documents at the door:
  • Valid photo ID with an address outside Québec
  • A vaccine passport with a QR code or official proof of vaccination against COVID-19 issued by their country or province in Canada

Also check the travel restrictions currently in place.. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ons/exemptions

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 29th 2021 at 5:38 pm. Reason: edited as info already mentioned
Old Jan 4th 2022, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the dreaded C word

Quebec just closed bars, restuarants, gyms, etc. There is a 10pm (?) province-wide curfew. All stores except for grocery/essential to close on Sundays. Very restrictive. If she can, I would avoid it, it will be a miserable time.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gozit
As far as the dreaded C word

Quebec just closed bars, restuarants, gyms, etc. There is a 10pm (?) province-wide curfew. All stores except for grocery/essential to close on Sundays. Very restrictive. If she can, I would avoid it, it will be a miserable time.
Ouch, that's a serious set of restrictions. Hoping the opening of schools on 17th means they need to relax the other rules. Other than the restaurant part it doesn't seem too restrictive, guess she'll be spending a lot of time shopping and walking. She really doesn't have a choice as it's for work and when I'm there I'll be working remotely to European hours anyway.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Ouch, that's a serious set of restrictions. Hoping the opening of schools on 17th means they need to relax the other rules. Other than the restaurant part it doesn't seem too restrictive, guess she'll be spending a lot of time shopping and walking. She really doesn't have a choice as it's for work and when I'm there I'll be working remotely to European hours anyway.
The last time Quebec had one of these draconian curfews in place it lasted nearly five months so I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

The trip has now been delayed/postponed so fingers crossed it's not too long. I foolishly booked the cheapest flight ticket I could find so I'm now stuck with a voucher. Thankfully Air Canada are kinder than AA who make it near impossible to use your cancelled tickets.