Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice
Default Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Hi guys, I had a conversation a few days ago with a guy who is on the Recruitment team for an American company operating in Canada.

It wasn't perhaps quite the conversation I was hoping it to be, since he was phoning me in the first place as one of my friends who already works for them in Calgary referred me to them with my Resume/CV. I was perhaps being TOO optimistic that a possible job opportunity was going to be discussed

He did give me a couple of useful bits of information. I had informed him that ideally I would be looking at Vancouver as a first preference of settlement given its proximitiy on the Pacific coast. He said that despite Vancouver's size, the tech/IT market for jobs is relativley small and he stated that it may likely be an uphill battle in trying to find a job there. He also informed me that salaries in BC/Van are generally lower than areas such as Alberta or Ontario, while goods generally cost more, its an expensive area of Canada to live in with salaries being comparitivley lower.

Is this generally the concensus regarding Vancouver/BC? Also, he mentioned that notice periods in Canada are as little as only two weeks, can anyone confirm this?

He additionally informeed me I had a higher chance of finding an IT job in either Alberta or Ontario/Toronto, which I informed him I was open to, if a job offer came up in either area, I'd go because my ultimate goal is to get myself across to Canada! I also discovered from him that I was shooting considerably below the mark on Canadian salaries for someone with my experience, so I reckon I'm going to re-consider that if I get in touch with someone else.

Having said that, he emailed me last night thanking me for the time on the phone and stated that he was going to keep an eye on upcoming opportunities, and that additionally he was going to pass my name and details onto someone else he knows as she may be able to assist also. Whether anything will come of it I have no idea. I feel a bit more positive looking on the flip side that I have actually spoken to someone in Canada now, and they know I exist. Having said that, I'll just keep going on, scouring Canadian job boards to see what I can find!!

Anyone who has read all of this, thank you very much haha!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just carrying on!! - Warning Long post :)

Yup, I have to agree with the whole issue of wages being lower in Vancouver while everything else costs more. That only really applies to metropolitan Vancouver though. Costs are lower in other parts of BC like Vancouver Island or up north, but you have fewer chances at finding work in IT in those places.

As for whether or not Vancouver has fewer IT jobs than Alberta or Ontario, I'm not sure. Ontario is a highly populated province so I'd assume that they'd have more IT jobs hands down. As for BC vs Alberta, the province of Alberta is quite new on the urban development scene so it's possible that it's IT market is newer and less saturated than Vancouver's. Given the law of supply and demand, it's plausible that wages are higher because many workers for newly created IT jobs are needed.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bc_guy
As for BC vs Alberta, the province of Alberta is quite new on the urban development scene so it's possible that it's IT market is newer and less saturated than Vancouver's. Given the law of supply and demand, it's plausible that wages are higher because many workers for newly created IT jobs are needed.
I always figured that salaries would be higher simply to the fact that Alberta is where all of Canada's oil is. Because of the booming oil industry and such, more money is generated. Its a bit like where I am in Aberdeen in the UK, Aberdeen is in a bubble due to the oil money generated at the moment. Unfortunatley I'm also sick of the place.

I'm confident sooner or later I will be able to find something. The jobs seem a little on the quiet side at the moment for my field at the moment, but, as we start moving more into April and beyond and summer approaches that is when I expect things will pick up alot more. I'm determined to get myself out there ASAP to build a new life for myself in Canada
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:28 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You might have to accept that if your wages are less then what you are used to get another part time job on top (bar/restaurant)

I have had to accept it many times whilst being the UK and will continue in Canada when I get there if I have to
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Hi guys, I had a conversation a few days ago with a guy who is on the Recruitment team for an American company operating in Canada.

It wasn't perhaps quite the conversation I was hoping it to be, since he was phoning me in the first place as one of my friends who already works for them in Calgary referred me to them with my Resume/CV. I was perhaps being TOO optimistic that a possible job opportunity was going to be discussed

He did give me a couple of useful bits of information. I had informed him that ideally I would be looking at Vancouver as a first preference of settlement given its proximitiy on the Pacific coast. He said that despite Vancouver's size, the tech/IT market for jobs is relativley small and he stated that it may likely be an uphill battle in trying to find a job there. He also informed me that salaries in BC/Van are generally lower than areas such as Alberta or Ontario, while goods generally cost more, its an expensive area of Canada to live in with salaries being comparitivley lower.

Is this generally the concensus regarding Vancouver/BC? Also, he mentioned that notice periods in Canada are as little as only two weeks, can anyone confirm this?

He additionally informeed me I had a higher chance of finding an IT job in either Alberta or Ontario/Toronto, which I informed him I was open to, if a job offer came up in either area, I'd go because my ultimate goal is to get myself across to Canada! I also discovered from him that I was shooting considerably below the mark on Canadian salaries for someone with my experience, so I reckon I'm going to re-consider that if I get in touch with someone else.

Having said that, he emailed me last night thanking me for the time on the phone and stated that he was going to keep an eye on upcoming opportunities, and that additionally he was going to pass my name and details onto someone else he knows as she may be able to assist also. Whether anything will come of it I have no idea. I feel a bit more positive looking on the flip side that I have actually spoken to someone in Canada now, and they know I exist. Having said that, I'll just keep going on, scouring Canadian job boards to see what I can find!!

Anyone who has read all of this, thank you very much haha!
After 20 years of working for the same company my husband only has to give 2 weeks notice to leave.

Good luck with your search!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Calgary and my husband works in I.T.

He says there are more jobs than I.T. people here and his firm can't recruit fast enough.

What sort of I.T. are you in?

Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:51 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

I would be careful of generalizations and hanging your hat on any of them.

I grew up in Canada and although I don't have any direct experience in IT, I have certainly worked with companies who had IT departments.

Obviously, it depends on what field you are experienced in. That is, if you have experience working in the IT department of an Oil company, then Alberta would have more opportunities for you based on your experience. If you work in IT in the Financial sector (banking, etc.) then Toronto would be the top market. But then there is also the question of changing industries while still being qualified for an IT job.

As for differences in costs vs. incomes, you can look at all kinds of cost of living comparisions quite easily. https://www.google.ca/#q=canada+cost+of+living+by+city

But I would again not hang a hat on any of that. If you get a job offer in Vancouver, are you going to turn it down because the cost of living or the average salary is 10% lower than somewhere else? If as you say what you want is to come to Canada then you would be foolish to do so.

What I would take from what he told you which is all generally true is that you should not be confining your search to BC alone but looking at all of Canada. If you can get a job with an oil company in Nova Scotia, it gets you here and after that you can decide whether you want to look at finding something in some other Province out of PREFERENCE later. For now, I would not worry about preference at all unless you get TWO offers.

I don't know why you are asking about how much notice is required. Who cares? It is no indication of anything from my perspective. Two weeks is the standard accepted minimum notice someone is expected to give or is legally entitled to receive. But it varies by job/position. Many white collar jobs get 1 month's notice and are expected to give the same. Higher level jobs may receive or be expected to give 3, 6, or even 12 months notice. I say expected because anyone can quit and walk out at any time. An employer on the other hand must abide by the law and their employment contract terms.

Often in white collar jobs, if someone is let go whether fired or laid-off, they get pay in lieu of notice. You get called in, told you are being let go, walked back to your desk, empty your personal items and are walked out the door. Then you get a cheque in the mail for the amount of notice you were entitled to.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
We are in Calgary and my husband works in I.T.

He says there are more jobs than I.T. people here and his firm can't recruit fast enough.

What sort of I.T. are you in?

I'm an IT Systems Engineer at the moment, with just over 6 years experience or so. So I mainly deal with Infrastructure maintainance with the servers and desktops etc. Building up my SCCM experience at the moment to broaden my scope a bit. Hoping my Canadian Citizenship helps with a possible move over to Canada
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst agreeing that generalisations are not worth hanging your hat on, what the recruiter told you sounds right - based on the research we did also. But I agree with other posters - look Canada wide, if it's an entry point, where would you want that to be and acceptable?
Cheers.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
Whilst agreeing that generalisations are not worth hanging your hat on, what the recruiter told you sounds right - based on the research we did also. But I agree with other posters - look Canada wide, if it's an entry point, where would you want that to be and acceptable?
Cheers.
Well, an acceptable entry point would likely be Canada wide for the most part, as long as its not in Montreal/Quebec where a strong grasp of French would be needed, anywhere else be it Halifax in NS, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC would all be acceptable.

I have a friend in Detroit who has said "Avoid Saskatchewan, it gets stupidly cold there." But I think that's par for most of Canada when winter rolls round so tbh I've not really taken that to heart too much.

The only other thing for me to think about is the salary. The guy I spoke to on the phone said that my salary expectations for someone with my experience was quite below the mark for someone with my experience. I'd been suggesting around $65k. The guy laughed and simply said "Is that all?" And suggested a couple of significantly higher revised figures that he believes someone with my experience is worth. That of course made me happy to think I could possibly get more, but then I need to ask the question how much of a risk it would be to push that point with a Canadian employer.

Like I said before I'm more content now that I have spoken to someone in Canada, and the fact he said he is going to pass my details on to someone he knows and has in addition advised me to contact him about any jobs I find online for his advice, he's been helpful in that regard.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, he actually sounded pretty helpful. Can't say the same for everyone there. I noticed people would drop the communications pretty quickly.

Actually I just saw your sig - you are a Canadian citizen? Then it should be easy for you. Don't put your standards low. If you have the permit to go and the basic qualification, research and don't sell yourself short.

Toronto and Calgary are indeed healthy markets IMHO. Research on Glassdoors and look at salary surveys. I don't know how many years of experience you have but 65K does seem low - the fact that you have a recruiter who can give you some tips (without building a reliance on him) is also superb.

About the cold, don't underestimate it although I suppose you have a taste in Scotty. Still, think it through.

I think you'll be fine
Cheerio.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping my Canadian Citizenship helps with a possible move over to Canada
Whether your a citizen or you have to go through the visa route has nothing to do with it

I'm a UK citizen doesn't mean I get a job in the UK any easier then over someone who has a work visa and more experience!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Whether your a citizen or you have to go through the visa route has nothing to do with it

I'm a UK citizen doesn't mean I get a job in the UK any easier then over someone who has a work visa and more experience!
That is true, but being a citizen cuts out the visa process for me! I dont have any entry requirements to meet which makes it easier for a canadian employer to employ me if they wish.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That is true, but being a citizen cuts out the visa process for me! I dont have any entry requirements to meet which makes it easier for a canadian employer to employ me if they wish.
If you're a citizen - why don't you just move over and get a job when you get here?

No need for LMO's etc.

Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
If you're a citizen - why don't you just move over and get a job when you get here?

No need for LMO's etc.

Saving aside money first before I can comfortably move across. Ideally I want to go with an offer in place but I want money set aside first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.