Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Junior Soccer in Canada

Junior Soccer in Canada

Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

AnthonyOttawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Junior Soccer in Canada

Hi I'm moving to Ottawa in August. I have a 10 year old boy who is mad keen on soccer. He plays a good level most of the year in England.

What is the junior soccer scene like in Ottawa? Do they play summer only, or is there a lot of league play (as well as training) in the winter months too? I know they have these domes that they put over fields before the snow comes.

Also, what is the standard like compared to UK? He has been on the fringes of elite level here (approached by scouts from professional clubs a couple of times - but not taken it further). Is entry generally be open trial, or do established teams at this age level tend to carry on season to season (as they would - in the main - in the UK)?

We fugiure if he can slip into a team for the winter when we arrive - play once a week, train once or twice, that will go a long way to settling him. Otherwise he'll be mighty homesick.

Which clubs would you recommend in terms of (a) offering something year round; (b) being "accessible" (i.e. open to new joiners - and he is a very good player); (c) scope to develop over the next few years? We expect to be living in the Glebe/Old Ottawa South areas - so something quite central would be great.

Any input/advice from anyone who know the Ottawa scene would be really useful.

Cheers

Anthony
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Junior Soccer in Canada

Hi and hope the move goes ok. My son started with soccer but only house league and it was too painful to watch so thankfully he took up hockey which is way more exciting to watch!

However, my friend has her kid in "Fury" just google it. They've just got back from a week in London training with the Spurs under 15 team and were ball boys at a Spurs premiership game. This is a competitive league where you normally train 1 night and play 1 game a week plus the compulsory tournaments. They took him out of "Ottawa South United" after a fall out but thats pretty much the same thing. Those are the 2 big football teams to be involved in. You have try outs and they play all year round.

From what she tells me playing is full family participation (no dropping your kids off and walking away) its jobs allocated and can get quite expensive. The upside is of course you get to network and meet loads of people. They love it.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:25 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

This season ottawa has no oysl teams in the league so playing at the top lwvel is not possible in 2011.
However, last season they had 2 teams, kanata and unsure of second team. We travelled there to play them and stayed for the weekend.
If your son plays in an fa league, as opposed to school futty, then you will need to arange an international transfer for him from the ontario soccer assosiation. If this is not done and he plays competetive soccer he will get the team in trouble.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

iancampbell9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnthonyOttawa
Hi I'm moving to Ottawa in August. I have a 10 year old boy who is mad keen on soccer. He plays a good level most of the year in England.

What is the junior soccer scene like in Ottawa? Do they play summer only, or is there a lot of league play (as well as training) in the winter months too? I know they have these domes that they put over fields before the snow comes.

Also, what is the standard like compared to UK? He has been on the fringes of elite level here (approached by scouts from professional clubs a couple of times - but not taken it further). Is entry generally be open trial, or do established teams at this age level tend to carry on season to season (as they would - in the main - in the UK)?

We fugiure if he can slip into a team for the winter when we arrive - play once a week, train once or twice, that will go a long way to settling him. Otherwise he'll be mighty homesick.

Which clubs would you recommend in terms of (a) offering something year round; (b) being "accessible" (i.e. open to new joiners - and he is a very good player); (c) scope to develop over the next few years? We expect to be living in the Glebe/Old Ottawa South areas - so something quite central would be great.

Any input/advice from anyone who know the Ottawa scene would be really useful.

Cheers

Anthony
Anthony I coach out here (but in Hamilton).

Soccer is pretty much all year round if you want it to be - there are a number of very good indoor locations where they have house league in the winter. The teams aren't the same each year as Canadians dont want kids getting hammered every week, when the house league starts you may find that some transfers between teams are made by the league to level the playing field - good in some respects but means that the kids may have different coaches year on year.

The standard is not as good as the UK but there are some exceptions, I coach a couple of kids who are comparable to very good uk players and much better than the average standard.

With good immigration numbers in Canada you can also find more elite practices and teams offered too but they may not be cheap $20 for an hour session (maybe 2 a week) for example.

Mardyarse has obv given you good info on Ottawa and the above is just my initial experience in my first 6 months here - that may not be the same throughout Ontario.

Good luck,

Ian
Old May 13th 2011, 1:30 pm
kop
Just Joined

kop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have the same problem , but we will be coming over (ottawa area) when my eldest has finished his A levels in 6 months . My youngest who will be 10 september has been to many clubs and been signed at Liverpool (he is a Keeper) . Would love info regarding team options for him in the area .

regards lou
Old May 13th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We have found that Sport here in Alberta is not cheap.

We signed the kids to play Rugby and this cost $200 each and another $140 for the kit. Add on top the mouthguard and cleats and it is a small chunck of change out of the bank. Considering also that here in Alberta the season is from May to August !

My son was not a bad keeper and he wanted to play indoor last winter - however this was over $400.

You can claim up to $500 per child on the tax return so should be able to get some back. We are lucky that he can't skate as hockey is a huge amount

JET
Old May 13th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Lisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really nice

What's the soccer like for younger children 6 & 7 years old in the Peterborough/ cobourg area? I have two boys one has played a full year in the uk under 7s the others done training ready to join a team this year. Both are soccer mad and play at an acceptable level in the uk.
Lisa
Old May 13th 2011, 5:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JET747
We have found that Sport here in Alberta is not cheap.

We signed the kids to play Rugby and this cost $200 each and another $140 for the kit. Add on top the mouthguard and cleats and it is a small chunck of change out of the bank. Considering also that here in Alberta the season is from May to August !

My son was not a bad keeper and he wanted to play indoor last winter - however this was over $400.

You can claim up to $500 per child on the tax return so should be able to get some back. We are lucky that he can't skate as hockey is a huge amount

JET
Be thankful he isn't a hockey goalie, $1600 just for leg pads.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Be thankful he isn't a hockey goalie, $1600 just for leg pads.
That is what he fancied - just as well he can't even stand up on skates

Guy in work plays, but his brother is in the top league for his age - 15 - and he tells me it costs him $10000 a year

JET
Old May 13th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

This is going to start a flame war but....

Soccer (by most Canadians) is considered to be a *girls* game.

The *real men* play hockey.

(Gets popcorn and sits back to watch the fireworks).
Old May 13th 2011, 9:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by xxdb
This is going to start a flame war but....

Soccer (by most Canadians) is considered to be a *girls* game.

(Gets popcorn and sits back to watch the fireworks).

No, they play box lacrosse.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xxdb
Real men play Rubgy !!

JET
Old May 14th 2011, 7:33 am
kop
Just Joined

So I guess footy aint that good then , surely someone can advise me on a team thats ok . I have seen they just for keepers training over in Toronto which they have over here . Maybe he will have to be a goaly on the ice rink.
Old May 14th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Peterborough is quite reasonable for soccer I believe.
Ottawa have good teams too.

Have a look at the Ontario soccer association (OSA) website. That will give you some more info.

Soccer is not like in the UK though. It is an organized sport. You just don't go down to the park for a kickabout.

Obviously, the larger the city/town, the better the soccer because of numbers but you still get lots of club hopping going on, poaching etc etc. Once you are in the scene, you will have more of an idea of what it's about.

HTH
Old May 14th 2011, 1:49 pm
kop
Just Joined

thanks for info will check this out .

Last edited by kop; May 14th 2011 at 1:51 pm.