Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Originally Posted by scilly
Sorry

I didn't mean to get personal, but the fact remains that every city across Canada has 1 or 2 larger minorities from other cultures, ranging from the black community in Halifax to the Chinese, Japanese and South-east Asian (aka Indian subcontinent) in Vancouver). The Chinese "minority" in Vancouver is approaching over 40%, In the next city Richmond it is around 60%, and the South-east Asian minority in Surrey is around 15%

Nationalities tend to congregate in areas where there are other members of that culture ..... hence the large numbers of British immigrants into Toronto and Vancouver last century, the Caribbean nations into Toronto, etc

That is a fact of life

I honestly don't believe that any city in Canada is truly multicultural, despite what our federal government says. We're better than the US, and probably better than the UK, but we still have "enclaves" in every city where one culture predominates.
I'd say Hamilton is pretty diverse, according to Stats Canada

Census Profile, 2016 Census - Hamilton, Census division [Census division], Ontario and Ontario [Province]

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tab...emo27h-eng.htm
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt88
Haha, agreed. What i meant was, we want to experience the real Canada, and if we decide on a location we'd prefer it not to have a majority immigrant group as sometimes areas are heavily influenced by their own cultures. I'm trying not to get myself in trouble here.. lol.. we are definitely not opposed to multi-cultural areas, just not an area dominated by any one particular culture. I hope I’m making sense here?
Originally Posted by scilly
Hate to tell you, but you are an immigrant, and Canada is populated with immigrants

or are you just being racist?

By racist, I mean not wanting to live in a place with other nationalities.

If so, then you will find it difficult to find a large city in Canada that does NOT have large immigrant populations, not counting the recent arrivals from the UK

Ouch, quite harsh, considering the OP already clarified their position.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
What a spiteful person your neighbour was.
I can't believe they did so little about the dog, if you hadn't been between the dog and the toddler or hadn't got there in time, this could have been so much worse!
I know, and that was just the tip of the iceberg with the guy. He was a real piece of work!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
In Ontario the dog would have a muzzle order and be put on the dangerous dog list.
Obviously it’s down to bylaw to then enforce or seize the dog.
That would have meant the bylaw officer actually had to do something though, it did have a muzzle order buy he just ignored it and nothing was ever done. It was infuriating. In the end (post PR drama issues) the only way I managed to get him to make a token effort to control it was to threaten to let our (giant breed, personal protection trained) dog out to deal with it if his dog ever crossed our boundary again, and he was terrified of our dog.

I hated having to do that though, I felt like a real thug. Not that I would have actually done it as I wouldn't have put our dog at risk as having so much as a hair on his head hurt.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Just out of curiosity, which provinces did you move from and to?
PEI then moved to NS
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, Halifax is definitely top of the list at the moment. Let’s hope this interview pans out. There are other potential areas in South Ontario I’d consider - if the right job turns up.
Congratulations on the interview! I'll keep fingers crossed for you
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Congratulations on the interview! I'll keep fingers crossed for you
Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I’d second that. Hamilton is a real mixed bag. Loving it here!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I’d second that. Hamilton is a real mixed bag. Loving it here!
Toronto is definitively multicultural, it's as multicultural as NYC. (And, yeah, I know this isn't a direct response to your post). There being a multi-culture doesn't require that no two people of the same background live in the same street. Of course people who speak London English are going to choose to live near the jellied eel stand and, over time, there will be a cluster of Londoners around the spot where the jellied eel stand is, or was. Half a mile over there'll be a concentration of people completely alien to the Londoners, eating their mushy peas and yammering on unintelligibly. It's still a multi-culture as long as the eel eaters can wander over to gag at the site of the peas and to dance at the whippet festival.

It only stops being a multi-culture when everyone's from the same place or when people from one culture dare not venture into an area that's predominantly another. With the possible exception of some Somali apartment blocks, that's not true of Toronto, it's a mixed population with concentrations, it's not ghettoized. Diwali is the big festival in this office but it doesn't stop people bringing food for Eid or for Christmas or for the festival of the spoons (whatever that is).
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly every major city or town in Canada has very small to very large areas of persons from a multitude of countries living in them.
Im white and speak English but when I moved to Canada I did not search out an area where Brits lived. Now if I was of another nationality and perhaps a different colour and did not speak any English or French then perhaps I would be seeking out an area where people of my nationality lived so I would feel a little bit more comfortable. Its not wrong to do that.
I was very surprised when I first encountered a Somalian taxi driver in Yellowknife and Inuvik.
Now unfortunately some areas that have high numbers of a particular culture are sometimes misrepresented and given a bad wrap.
Anybody remember Moss Side and Toxteth in the UK?
Fast forward to today and areas such as Molenbeek (Brussels) Rosengard/Malmo area would/might be not preferred areas to live in.
Also neighbourhoods change over the years what was once full of Italians might now be populated by Chinese etc etc.
Until you move in you have no ideas what your neighbours are going to be like so the family from hell could turn out to be UK citizens from say Essex
Affordability of housing is also a factor.
If money is no object you can buy a house anywhere but if a recent refugee family from Ethiopia then you are limited.
Im pretty sure that some on here who live in the GTA would prefer to not living in the Jane and Finch area.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Let's not get personal please.

I believe the OP means they would prefer to live in a multi-cultural area rather than an area with one predominant culture.
I'm not sure how anybody could assume the OP meant anything but that based on his comments tbh.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
PEI then moved to NS
Figures. I'd heard some of the PEI residents can be a bit up their own arse, not unlike Channel Islands residents in the UK. NS and Newfie have a reputation for being more friendly though and I imagine both have significant immigrant populations these days.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'm not sure how anybody could assume the OP meant anything but that based on his comments tbh.
Possibly because he explained what he meant a couple of posts later?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Possibly because he explained what he meant a couple of posts later?
Exactly. At no point did the poor guy express anything like racist sentiment anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, agreed. What i meant was, we want to experience the real Canada
What do you think the "real" Canada is? All plaid shirts and smores? Even Halifax has a fair number of immigrants of "colour". In fact, the most-widely spoken language outside of the two official languages is Arabic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.