Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:30 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs & locations - advice needed!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Errr if you don't want to move to areas heavily populated by other immigrants then Brampton is probably a no go Perhaps Halifax might be a better choice if wanting to stay away from other immigrant groups in larger numbers although the locals might still refer to you as an Away From Homer being as you don't originate from Nova Scotia.
I think he meant one particular immigrant majority. The problem is that Toronto neighbourhoods often just tend to be structured that way. There is literally no parallel for it in the UK really outside of the few heavily populated ethnic Pakistani or Bangladeshi areas of Manchester, Yorkshire and the Midlands.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Errr if you don't want to move to areas heavily populated by other immigrants then Brampton is probably a no go Perhaps Halifax might be a better choice if wanting to stay away from other immigrant groups in larger numbers although the locals might still refer to you as an Away From Homer being as you don't originate from Nova Scotia.
Haha, agreed. What i meant was, we want to experience the real Canada, and if we decide on a location we'd prefer it not to have a majority immigrant group as sometimes areas are heavily influenced by their own cultures. I'm trying not to get myself in trouble here.. lol.. we are definitely not opposed to multi-cultural areas, just not an area dominated by any one particular culture. I hope I’m making sense here?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt88
Haha, agreed. What i meant was, we want to experience the real Canada, and if we decide on a location we'd prefer it not to have a majority immigrant group as sometimes areas are heavily influenced by their own cultures. I'm trying not to get myself in trouble here.. lol.. we are definitely not opposed to multi-cultural areas, just not an area dominated by any one particular culture. I hope I’m making sense here?

You'll be fine. Even in heavily Chinese populated areas like Yonge and Finch there are still other people around and cultures to absorb.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost

You'll be fine. Even in heavily Chinese populated areas like Yonge and Finch there are still other people around and cultures to absorb.
Haha, phew!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a look around those areas. We definitely do not want an area with an immigrant majority.. it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Canada.
Then you have to discount southern Ontario. We're all immigrants here.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Then you have to discount southern Ontario. We're all immigrants here.
Nova Scotia it is then You know what i meant.. i did go on to clarify it in a later post
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia it is then You know what i meant.. i did go on to clarify it in a later post
I think you seriously underestimate the immigrant population of the GTA and surrounding area. It is all like Brent. Also, your expectations of achievable location relative to income are not realistic. $2000 isn't a lot in Brampton and it's no help at all within 30 minutes of Yonge and Eg.

A job in Mississauga offers more chance of renting a whole house, if you're willing to commute for an hour or so, but that would be like a job in, say, Reading. No one would emigrate to Reading.

Halifax is an attractive place, on the sea, and untroubled by cosmopolitanism but moving there implies staying in the one job or being prepared to move cities for the next one. Think of it in terms of moving to Aberdeen.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 10th 2018 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you seriously underestimate the immigrant population of the GTA and surrounding area. It is all like Brent. Also, your expectations of achievable location relative to income are not realistic. $2000 isn't a lot in Brampton and it's no help at all within 30 minutes of Yonge and Eg.

A job in Mississauga offers more chance of renting a whole house, if you're willing to commute for an hour or so, but that would be like a job in, say, Reading. No one would emigrate to Reading.

Halifax is an attractive place, on the sea, and untroubled by cosmopolitanism but moving there implies staying in the one job or being prepared to move cities for the next one. Think of it in terms of moving to Aberdeen.
Thanks dbd33,

I’ve given up on the GTA lol. People must have seriously well-paid jobs to be able to afford rent there!

Yeah, Mississauga is now out of the question, I can’t deal with massive commutes unless it was a couple of days a week with work from home potential.

Yeah, Halifax is definitely top of the list at the moment. Let’s hope this interview pans out. There are other potential areas in South Ontario I’d consider - if the right job turns up.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah, Mississauga is now out of the question, I can’t deal with massive commutes unless it was a couple of days a week with work from home potential.
This is something you might be able to negotiate. Here, in Guelph, it's common for people who commute from Toronto or from Richmond Hill to WFH a couple of days a week and to stay in a hotel for the on site days. I suspect that's a harder sell, but less important, in Halifax. Nice place Halifax, good luck with that.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
What a spiteful person your neighbour was.
I can't believe they did so little about the dog, if you hadn't been between the dog and the toddler or hadn't got there in time, this could have been so much worse!
In Ontario the dog would have a muzzle order and be put on the dangerous dog list.
Obviously it’s down to bylaw to then enforce or seize the dog.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DG

I'll have a look around those areas. We definitely do not want an area with an immigrant majority.. it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Canada.

I wont be looking for any other jobs in the GTA after today.

Hate to tell you, but you are an immigrant, and Canada is populated with immigrants

or are you just being racist?

By racist, I mean not wanting to live in a place with other nationalities.

If so, then you will find it difficult to find a large city in Canada that does NOT have large immigrant populations, not counting the recent arrivals from the UK

Last edited by scilly; Jan 11th 2018 at 12:32 am.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Hate to tell you, but you are an immigrant, and Canada is populated with immigrants

or are you just being racist?

By racist, I mean not wanting to live in a place with other nationalities.

If so, then you will find it difficult to find a large city in Canada that does NOT have large immigrant populations, not counting the recent arrivals from the UK
Let's not get personal please.

I believe the OP means they would prefer to live in a multi-cultural area rather than an area with one predominant culture.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Let's not get personal please.

I believe the OP means they would prefer to live in a multi-cultural area rather than an area with one predominant culture.
I agree. I don't think the OP is being racist at all.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike

I agree. I don't think the OP is being racist at all.
Indeed. The point's been covered.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry

I didn't mean to get personal, but the fact remains that every city across Canada has 1 or 2 larger minorities from other cultures, ranging from the black community in Halifax to the Chinese, Japanese and South-east Asian (aka Indian subcontinent) in Vancouver). The Chinese "minority" in Vancouver is approaching over 40%, In the next city Richmond it is around 60%, and the South-east Asian minority in Surrey is around 15%

Nationalities tend to congregate in areas where there are other members of that culture ..... hence the large numbers of British immigrants into Toronto and Vancouver last century, the Caribbean nations into Toronto, etc

That is a fact of life

I honestly don't believe that any city in Canada is truly multicultural, despite what our federal government says. We're better than the US, and probably better than the UK, but we still have "enclaves" in every city where one culture predominates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.