Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Jobs, Jobs more Jobs

Jobs, Jobs more Jobs

Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, UK...soon a new life in Canada ;o)
amberdayz is on a distinguished road
Default Jobs, Jobs more Jobs

Well we have really kicked it up a gear the job applications are going out thick and fast.. Vice President, Director of OP's all totally within the reach of J

We've had to set up an Application database to keep tabs on the all the applications

If you got out on WP, PNP etc how long did it take and how many applications before you to got an offical offer of employment? Has it been a dream job in Ca compared to what you did here in the UK?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs, Jobs more Jobs

Mr MMC applied for his current job in December of 2006, had conversations (very informal) with the boss via email for the next 6 months regarding the process of how long it would take for LMO blah blah.

We went over to see them in May 2007 and they offered him the job there and then (just needed us to show willing by travelling over for the interview)

We moved November 13th 2007.

So from application to starting it took roughly a year!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Just shows how quickly that it can be done, we're just biding our time at the moment, because we know it's going to happen and sort of bite us on the b*m ha ha ha
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

losttraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amberdayz
Just shows how quickly that it can be done, we're just biding our time at the moment, because we know it's going to happen and sort of bite us on the b*m ha ha ha
It depends where you go. If you go to alberta it took my hubby from start on PNP- interview April 07 everything was ready and he was out by beginning of August 07. There is a rely helpful company called canilink. Go on www.canilink.com . Ian and Jayne are fantastic ex-pats, happy to help.

Last edited by losttraveller; Mar 11th 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by losttraveller
It depends where you go. If you go to alberta it took my hubby from start on PNP- interview April 07 everything was ready and he was out by beginning of August 07. There is a rely helpful company called canilink. Go on www.canilink.com . Ian and Jayne are fantastic ex-pats, happy to help.
OH has quite a specialized job here in the UK and it seems most of the jobs that we're finding are in Alberta.

Did you use canilink? spooky enough I was looking at the stuff that I picked up for them at the emigrate show, although didn't speak to them personnaly.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Jobs, Jobs more Jobs or maybe not

Well things have well and truly slowed down, there seems to be nothing out there at the moment It's really frustrating.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

neekie will become famous soon enoughneekie will become famous soon enough

Hang in there mate. I'm sure something will come up. You both have jobs that are, supposedly, in demand so something will come up for you.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Hi.

My wife and I are going to Calgary end of May/ beginning of June on a TWP.

I sent my resume to 12 companies, and got 3 replies. One said I had to be a union member, the last company I contacted was interested and went as far as asking for references from former employers, and in the meantime the first company I contacted gave me a phone interview and offered me the job via email the same day! From first resume went out to job offer took a grand total of 21 days! I do believe I have been incredibly lucky, but it does show you it can be done.

Good luck.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neekie
Hang in there mate. I'm sure something will come up. You both have jobs that are, supposedly, in demand so something will come up for you.
Thanks Monique, I'm sure that it will.

J is even considering going out just as a Paramedic (get a foot in the door so to speak) and then once there, who know's what opportunities will come our way

Were going out on a reccie the 24th May, so exciting
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Hi.

I sent my resume to 12 companies, and got 3 replies. One said I had to be a union member, the last company I contacted was interested and went as far as asking for references from former employers, and in the meantime the first company I contacted gave me a phone interview and offered me the job via email the same day! From first resume went out to job offer took a grand total of 21 days! I do believe I have been incredibly lucky, but it does show you it can be done.

Good luck.
That's fantastic news for you. I know it will happen for us, it's just a bit disheartening when things slow so much.

As I mentioned to Neekie, OH is even thinking of going out as a Paramedic and then take it fromn there.

Good luck to you too
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

neekie will become famous soon enoughneekie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amberdayz
Thanks Monique, I'm sure that it will.

J is even considering going out just as a Paramedic (get a foot in the door so to speak) and then once there, who know's what opportunities will come our way

Were going out on a reccie the 24th May, so exciting
We are just trying to sort out a reccie too but as I work in a school and am not allowed time off outside school holidays, the prices are astronomical! How are we supposed to look at schools over there if I can only go in the holidays? They will all be shut! Wondering if I can swing a bit of unpaid leave (which I doubt!) but I cant tell them why as I dont want to tell them our plans. Its a tough one. Maybe a 2 week sicknote might do it!! By the way, just found some really cheap flights on Canadian affair. Its worth a look. Keep me informed on how you get on
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed that you can sort something out too

That's who were going out with ,Canadian Affair, just keeping an eye on the price at the moment. As it's already come down £50 since the first time we checked gives us a little more spending money anyway
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Merien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant futureMerien has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Hi.

Good luck.
Hi,

Well done you. Just one quick question. Have they called/mailed to arrange a specific time to interview you? I have just started applying to get a job in Calgary. Like to know more. I'm looking for to work as an Accounts Manager (More of a Client retention role with Finance). Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Merien
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

They'll take into account the time diference, but bearing that in mind it could be 2200hrs our time that they interview you
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merien
Hi,

Well done you. Just one quick question. Have they called/mailed to arrange a specific time to interview you? I have just started applying to get a job in Calgary. Like to know more. I'm looking for to work as an Accounts Manager (More of a Client retention role with Finance). Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Merien
Hi.

The company e-mailed me on the Thursday and said they wanted to do a telephone interview on the Monday at 2pm Canada time (10pm Holland time), and asked me to call them at this time. The call lasted about 25 minutes, the interview itself took less than 10 mins. the rest of the time was spent telling me about the company, the work they do, benefits etc.
It was quite an informal affair, but still quite nerve racking! The hardest part was waiting over the weekend for Monday to come!

Good luck with your job hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.