Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

jobs in halifax

Wikiposts

jobs in halifax

Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs in halifax

I must admit I struggle with the generalisation of 'you must be prepared to accept a lower job to make it in Canada'. It hasn't been true for me in what is arguably a smaller and more insular job market than Halifax. It's all about bringing marketable and useful skills and experience. The upside is that you may have things that the locals don't have and the downside is that the same thing might limit your job opportunities!

The generalisation that is true, is network, network, network. Getting a job through a conventional see-an-ad, apply, get-the-job route is possible but the odds on this alone working are against you.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

I've been looking for work in Halifax since June and I've not had so much as an interview. I've been taking part in a connector program www.immigrationworksinhalifax.ca which is aimed at immigrants networking with business professionals, which I would recommend to start building a business network.

I apply for jobs I see advertised, but from what I can gather most of the job market here is hidden and networking is the most likely way of securing work.

As for the degree, I honestly don't think it makes too much of a difference if you have a degree. I have an MA and MSc, it hasn't helped me secure work yet.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I have family members that have experienced and are currently experiencing an equally hard time finding work.....and who find things as frustrating as some Expats.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
Crazy, think I'll stick to original plan. Land in Toronto and maybe go to NS when I get full citizenship.
Ive never seen that citizenship response before, thats pretty hicksville, and I doubt it applies universally by any means.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2010 at 4:02 am.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AyrLass

As for the degree, I honestly don't think it makes too much of a difference if you have a degree. I have an MA and MSc, it hasn't helped me secure work yet.
I wasn't saying a degree (or many) will be a significant help. I was saying if you don't have one, you could really have a hard time, especially in the standard fall back position of 'I'll just get an admin job'. Not so easy when the competition is huge for those jobs and much of the local competition will have a degree or two.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

interesting thread, yes its often a question of who you know and obviously networking, with this in mind a few of us who have been here a while we have started a networking group with the view to newcomers getting the opportunity to meet with Nova Scotian businesses, the group is called The Anchor Group and meets once a month in Halifax,, you can find us at www.anchorgroup.ca I also think that in some cases having access to this type of group allows you to realise that there is a cultural difference in how we connect with employers here and also to grow used to the idea that walking in an immigrant shoes can take some getting used to for some of us who have not been in this position before...People Plus does run courses ISIS seems primarily focused on non english speaking immigrants and refugees..there are lots of programs out there and also help with starting a new business.
Don;t give up the job will come it does take time though and you have to be willing and eager to step outside of your comfort zone sometimes.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:26 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive never seen that citizenship response before, thats pretty hicksville, and I doubt it applies universally by any means.
I'm not sure what you mean. So its hicksville to go to a city where my job is in great demand and to apply for a job in a city where jobs are scarce, at my leisure?

Not sure I follow your logic.

Wow thank you very much JS, very cool of you I will check it out.

Rich

Last edited by zRichi; Nov 18th 2010 at 6:31 am.