zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jobs in halifax

How easy do people get jobs in Halifax.

The job boards are sooo empty..

Rich
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: jobs in halifax

Been here almost a year and still no luck - tried everything - on charitable Boards, networking, employment agencies, done voluntary work and some small bits of contract work, applied for lots of jobs both advertised and those I've heard about elsewhere. I have never been in this situation before and it's stressful - funny thing is we got PR on basis that my job was on the 'wanted' list and yet I can't find anything but OH has had lots of options! Oh well - I'm sure it will happen - then what a celebration I'll have
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Oh almost forgot - I also tried ISIS and they were awful to deal with although I've heard more positive stories from others
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Hard. Not having a degree can be a real killer.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:50 am

Oh crikey

Do you mind if I ask what profession you're in?
I gather people you speak to have the same trouble?

Hope you find something soon!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Hard. Not having a degree can be a real killer.

agree - even with a degree it's difficult
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Yup - done the degree thing too (several times!) including Bachelors in Law, Masters in Psychology & Management, Post-Grad in Psychology, etc, etc - still nothing.

I don't mean to sound bitter - it's all part of the immigration process and I totally accept that. Just want others to be aware of how difficult it can be!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, sounds tough.

Is it any easier if you get past the hidden job market, e.g. know people there?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:35 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have seen and experienced since arriving here is that it is very hit and miss and a lot is down to luck.

It is true that the job market is very hidden here and a case of who you know etc, but then on the other hand, some people I have known have picked up jobs very quickly.

All I can recommend is to network like mad and keep in touch with people.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you're right - luck has a huge amount to do with it. As I said, I'm making good use of my time and enjoying myself too but I'm fortunate that OH is working otherwise it would be a total nightmare.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:24 pm
Been here 8 years now...

Steve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to behold

I moved here April this year with my Canadian Mrs and wasn't allowed to work until my PR was received. 6 days after I got it I was working. I had done massive amounts of job searching just to keep on top of 'who's hiring'.
Back in the UK I was an Assembly Manager for a train company, over here I'm Crew Manager for a fencing company. I don't have a degree but DO have 20-odd years experience. Getting through the door is the important thing, you can move around from there.
There are jobsites that list links to companies, not all of which are necessarily hiring right now. Get in touch with them, follow-up e-mails/resumes with a phone call and speak to lots of people in work. I discussed my situation with the Mrs' boss and he gave me good info. on where to look, what salary to ask for etc.
Also, find a list of all companies, big and small, in your area and try them - it's true not all jobs are advertised but you might just catch someone's eye - I did!
Good luck mate!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps if you can't get a job you could start your own small business? Sounds like the economy there needs it.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zRichi
How easy do people get jobs in Halifax.

The job boards are sooo empty..

Rich
Been here over 4 years now, have done all the networking avenues, I am working but not close to what I am trained and experienced in doing, had to obviously take many steps backward when I arrived, but am still in a very junior position & very badly paid. I was told by a potential employer on Monday to try again when my Citizenship comes through as they only employ Canadians. Get used to this response!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:44 pm

Crazy, think I'll stick to original plan. Land in Toronto and maybe go to NS when I get full citizenship.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:05 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

MY OH has not had any trouble getting work here at all. He is a software testing manager. He had an interview set up for the first working day after we arrived, he got the job and stayed a year. It wasn't a great company and the pay was far less than what he earned in England, but it got us started.
He networked like crazy while he was there and joined linked-in. Him and another guy also set up there own non-profit testing company on the net which has really grown and they have alot of members. He has done testing exams and passed and is now in the top 5 testers in Canada and US.
Through all this he was offered a job with another company who only take referrals. He was offered a better salary and it was an excellent company. While there he was being head hunted by a huge company who have offices all over the world. They finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and started there 3 months ago.

This is a small town and you have to network hard and put in a huge effort. It isn't what you know, it's who you know here.
There are always jobs if you look hard enough, get out there and get yourself known.

I even found a job by trawling round travel agents with my resume and asking for work. I have been happy in my job for 2 and a half years now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.