Reload this Page >

IT Job Market in Ontario

IT Job Market in Ontario

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

polishvisitor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Job Market in Ontario

Hello
Like I mentioned in my previous posts I finally arrived in Toronto for a job search.
I must say that IT market here and ways of finding a job here are not so rosey, comparing to US,UK
Basically new commer without any connections ,friends, relatives is left for huge struggle. What I was explained by one recruiter that jobs exist but are channelled through connections and recruiters ,very few see daylight.
So if you not connected in any way, good luck cause you need a lot
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Job Market in Ontario

Originally Posted by polishvisitor
Hello
Like I mentioned in my previous posts I finally arrived in Toronto for a job search.
I must say that IT market here and ways of finding a job here are not so rosey, comparing to US,UK
Basically new commer without any connections ,friends, relatives is left for huge struggle. What I was explained by one recruiter that jobs exist but are channelled through connections and recruiters ,very few see daylight.
So if you not connected in any way, good luck cause you need a lot
Thanks for that - for anybody reading that is new to this forum, the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) also has lots on info in. And the main message of it is definitely that networking/personal contact is the way to get a job in Canada!

Good luck, hope you find something soon.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:09 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT in Ontario and the job market is a bit slow right now. You need to get in contact with a few agencies and in a short time you will see which ones are the most useful to you and you can stick with them and strike off the rest.
While you're waiting, look in to industry certifications and keep them up to date.
Many of the IT people who emigrate here have trouble getting jobs because even though they're highly qualified, their level of English language is poor. The average Brit has an advantage here - fluent English plus in an accent that sounds intelligent. They still fall for it in Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I work in IT in Ontario and the job market is a bit slow right now. You need to get in contact with a few agencies and in a short time you will see which ones are the most useful to you and you can stick with them and strike off the rest.
While you're waiting, look in to industry certifications and keep them up to date.
Many of the IT people who emigrate here have trouble getting jobs because even though they're highly qualified, their level of English language is poor. The average Brit has an advantage here - fluent English plus in an accent that sounds intelligent. They still fall for it in Canada.

WOW WHAT CAN I SAY SMART AND IMPRESSIVE, I AM JEALOUS
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:20 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

[/B][/COLOR]

WOW WHAT CAN I SAY SMART AND IMPRESSIVE, I AM JEALOUS
You're welcome. Always glad to help.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pdarwin
You're welcome. Always glad to help.
Peter you arrogant comment reminds me one of my teachers she was from UK and she was teaching in Edmonton,Alberta. She also started bragging about english superiority and so on, one day principle called her and put her where she belongs, since then she was very nice and polite, I think she understood that she was also an immigrant here, I wonder if you strike such a conversation in the office what would others say?, you be carefull you are just a guest here or like one native once told f......ing DP, I hope you know what that means
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute

polishVisitor I think your assessment is quite correct, it is tough to find IT related work in Ontario. The good news is that everyone I know does eventually seem to find something, it just takes a long time. The USA is a better bet for sure. If it wasn't for immigration I'm thinking half the IT people would have moved south by now. Good luck with your search.

Btw, I think you may have misunderstood Peter's comments. I don't believe he was actually suggesting the British people or accent is superior, I think he meant the Canadian employers may sometimes think that or fall for it, that even though he doesn't believe it himself. Americans and Canadians sometimes think British accents are somehow sophisitacted, I don't believe it either of course but it's just the perception some people have (wrongly). Also they think British people are evil too it seems, notice the way so many Hollywood movie bad guys have a British accent.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:10 pm
Peter Darwin

Peter you arrogant comment reminds me one of my teachers she was from UK and she was teaching in Edmonton,Alberta. She also started bragging about english superiority and so on, one day principle called her and put her where she belongs, since then she was very nice and polite, I think she understood that she was also an immigrant here, I wonder if you strike such a conversation in the office what would others say?, you be carefull you are just a guest here or like one native once told f......ing DP, I hope you know what that means
Explain to me exactly how you find my comments in any way offensive? I never once mentioned or implied any kind of superiority - just the way that Canadians interpret it, in a similar way that you have misinterpreted.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack1
polishVisitor I think your assessment is quite correct, it is tough to find IT related work in Ontario. The good news is that everyone I know does eventually seem to find something, it just takes a long time. The USA is a better bet for sure. If it wasn't for immigration I'm thinking half the IT people would have moved south by now. Good luck with your search.

Btw, I think you may have misunderstood Peter's comments. I don't believe he was actually suggesting the British people or accent is superior, I think he meant the Canadian employers may sometimes think that or fall for it, that even though he doesn't believe it himself. Americans and Canadians sometimes think British accents are somehow sophisitacted, I don't believe it either of course but it's just the perception some people have (wrongly). Also they think British people are evil too it seems, notice the way so many Hollywood movie bad guys have a British accent.

Well
I read his post and it reminded me my teacher, fortunately in US and I can say from my own experience what counts is SKILLS, no accent or color of your skin, I used to work there and I think I will search again there, so far I had more calls from US than from Ontario,I wish I can stay here but looks like it is clear cut case ,go wherever jobs are. I was hoping to do what I did in past getting contract jobs and just doing contracts, but from what I see it can take me years here to get establish on the market here
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get into the USA I would do it, I worked there too briefly and it's a great place, in my opinion much more opportunity. If I could get a permanent residence status there I would go, unfortunately I have been unable to find a way to do that. In my experience/opinion the opportunity heirarchy is USA > UK > Canada.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The USA is a better bet for sure.
No shit, Sherlock. Comparing all of the US to Ontario is not going to favour the Canadian option.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

If you can get into the USA I would do it, I worked there too briefly and it's a great place, in my opinion much more opportunity. If I could get a permanent residence status there I would go, unfortunately I have been unable to find a way to do that. In my experience/opinion the opportunity heirarchy is USA > UK > Canada.
If you are canadian citizen that should not be a problem for you
What scarce me here all this BS ,with begging for work ,sending thank you letter and so on, I remember they even taught this in school, it is insane
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Then compare it to the whole of Canada. Or Compare Toronto to New York City or Toronto to LA. I was unable to find work in Canada when I first started looking for jobs. Fortunately an American company was willing to take a chance on me on a TN visa (non permanent resident). Then after that stint I came back to the Toronto and was hired by another American company :-)
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Then compare it to the whole of Canada. Or Compare Toronto to New York City or Toronto to LA. I was unable to find work in Canada when I first started looking for jobs. Fortunately an American company was willing to take a chance on me on a TN visa (non permanent resident). Then after that stint I came back to the Toronto and was hired by another American company :-)
Jack so you must be pretty happy to live here since you not moving back to US, I assume you have a perm position, I am looking just for contracts here
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

I would still prefer to be in the USA. The problem with the TN visa it is not a permanent visa. I got married recently and I don't want to be in a situation where I have to leave suddenly if I lose my job. If I could find a way to get a more permanent type of visa to the USA I would go. Canada is ok, but since I am originally from the UK I have been seriously considering going back there too recently so I may do that. I can't get kicked out of the UK or Canada!

<Edit> I forgot to add, yes I have a permanent position right now. I am a software developer. I'm sure you'll find getting contracts is harder than usual right now because of the times we are in too, no matter where you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.