Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Old May 25th 2011, 5:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

The recipe for success in Canada is to get a job that a) pays the bills and b) you like. Most other things are secondary to that.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Can you elaborate on hell. My main concern is that in the UK I've always worked with a good bunch of lads, lots of banter etc and as I'm a good mixer I'm hoping for a similar working relationship there and not alienated for being a migrant.
I now work in a salon, where the girls a great. When I first came, I got a job in a beauty supplier where I was layed off after 6 months. Started my own business with another hairdresser. She did a runner after 3 months leaving me in debt(long story)so life was hell for a while. You wont find you have to try hard to fit in. Most Canadians, like most countries, are respectful of you and will help you out any time. They seem to love our accents and wit, and I now have the life style that I was looking for all along.
Long gone are the days when Oh and I would say Bloody Canadians.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried different areas in Canada, I read a thread from a couple who were miserable in BC but tried NS before giving up totally and now they love it.
No offence, but I haven't posted much about my return to the UK as I am not really after advice. But thanks for the thought.

If my family and friends all move to NS then maybe I would consider it

Canada works for a lot of people. Best of luck with your move.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It really isn't that simple. And there are plenty of posters, like me, who had no preparation at all for moving here and like it quite a lot. It's a crapshoot honestly.
Not even a recce trip?
Old May 25th 2011, 5:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The recipe for success in Canada is to get a job that a) pays the bills and b) you like. Most other things are secondary to that.
Wise words, and that is from personal experience.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:43 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It really isn't that simple. And there are plenty of posters, like me, who had no preparation at all for moving here and like it quite a lot. It's a crapshoot honestly.
I agree. All the worry about car insurance, healthcare or whatever, though understandable, is, IMO the least of the immigration issues. Canadian's make a living here working in professional and menial jobs, so a reasonably educated well informed European can survive too.

It's the less tangible things that make immigration a success or not - creating friendships, not feeling isolated, getting a job, finding an area that you like and feel at home in. No matter how many recce trips, holidays, forums, books etc that you've invested time in, until you're actually here and trying to make a living, they only scratch the surface of reality.

I think forums like this can sometimes be unhelpful - it's too easy to stop thinking and researching for yourself, and rely on anecdotes, vague generalities and misinformation (all given in good faith, no doubt). Ultimately someone else's life is not your life, and you need to be able to weigh up pros and cons for yourself.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Not even a recce trip?
When I visited it was to visit my then fiance, not to recce per se. BUt he also visited me in Oz/NZ. I ended up here because between the two of us, my skills were more transferable as the industry he's in is much much smaller in oz/nz. Inititally we didn't plan to stay here, but best laid plans and all that...

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 25th 2011 at 5:52 pm.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I agree. All the worry about car insurance, healthcare or whatever, though understandable, is, IMO the least of the immigration issues. Canadian's make a living here working in professional and menial jobs, so a reasonably educated well informed European can survive too.

It's the less tangible things that make immigration a success or not - creating friendships, not feeling isolated, getting a job, finding an area that you like and feel at home in. No matter how many recce trips, holidays, forums, books etc that you've invested time in, until you're actually here and trying to make a living, they only scratch the surface of reality.

I think forums like this can sometimes be unhelpful - it's too easy to stop thinking and researching for yourself, and rely on anecdotes, vague generalities and misinformation (all given in good faith, no doubt). Ultimately someone else's life is not your life, and you need to be able to weigh up pros and cons for yourself.
+1.

One of the advantages to being woefully ill prepared, is, I think, being totally open to whatever comes. When i see people trying to pick an area from the UK - and often they are trying to find similar-to-UK-village-life or the opposite of what they have the in the UK cos they don't like it there... I kinda want them to stop and try not to analyze so much. It's just so very different here.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R I C H

Probably the best thread I've read on here. Our dream is a simple one, the house we would love to buy is unaffordable in the UK but affordable in Canada. That's a very simplified version of the dream so as not to bore you but the house on a big lake/river is the nucleus of the dream, the rest is down to us.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Admittedly, we do have quite a few anti-Canada posters at the mo because a lot of forum members that moved last year are returning to the UK having discovered that Canada is not for them, but even so it's hardly 'rude' to express a dislike of a place!
Why do you think that is? Could it be that Canada is not as good as it was when others arrived? (I arrived in 1998 and somedays I would still happily get on the first plane back to the UK).
Old May 25th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Why do you think that is? Could it be that Canada is not as good as it was when others arrived? (I arrived in 1998 and somedays I would still happily get on the first plane back to the UK).
Hope you can speak Polish and other eastern european languages then.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

So what makes you think you won't find the same immigrants here?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can speak Polish and other eastern european languages then.
Hope you can speak Chinese and Punjabi then.

Waaaaay higher percentage of immigrants in Canada than in the UK, so if that bothers you, you're moving to the wrong country!
Old May 25th 2011, 7:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
oink a question for you ..... If you hate it so much in Canada (you obviously are not happy ive read some of your other replies ) why are you still there and not back in the UK or is it you just get off on being so grumpy
I really think you've misunderstood my reply to the OP, I was trying to be supportive by suggesting, if by any chance you fail with your emigration plans, not feel bad about it. I was simply trying to give the OP a virtual hug to say it was all okay.

As for the issue of my other posts, I think you need to read them more carefully. I find life in the city of Vancouver, while a little dull in the winter, very pleasing. I like the mixture of urban and ocean that the city has to offer. I think the misunderstanding comes from the fact I'm little more sophisticated and cosmopolitan that most so the thought of living in a slightly impoverished small Canadian town, where mono-cultural parochialism mixed with drug and alcohol abuse is rampant doesn't fill me with a sense of joyousness.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
So what makes you think you won't find the same immigrants here?
Oh for sure, infact last time I visited I thought China had invaded (joke) just the doo-gooders here are changing all the signs to Polish. I thought visiting Wales was bad enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.