Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Old May 25th 2011, 5:39 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've hit the moving-to-Canada wall.

Originally Posted by lmartin999
See, once you start the list its a slippery slope. I hadn't even thought about school uniforms, thank you Oh, I dont have kids btw.
...... and I hadn't even thought of oak trees!!!! Mwaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
Old May 25th 2011, 7:32 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skara
(Can I just have a little rant, please?)

Okay, today I'm not excited. Today I'm peed off that my house is on the market and I have to keep it clean with four children who make no effort to help (surprise!) and every morning I run about like a maniac hoping we might get a call for a viewing and not a sausage. Not helped by the fact that the estate agent put it in the paper last week with the wrong town as the title, meaning that nobody looking for houses in our village would even see it, and anyone who called about it would be put off when they discovered it was in a village, not town.

And I'm peed off that the Canadian arm of my husband's company seem to work slower than the slowest things ever, meaning we've been waiting weeks and weeks for an alteration to the wording of the contract, meaning our move still isn't 100% certain, meaning my 11 year old is driving me mad asking what's happening and our 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) are picking up on my stress and behaving like monsters.
good luck to you on your move. We are going through the same stress and uncertainty as you , We are coming in Nov and we have done nothing yet
oink a question for you ..... If you hate it so much in Canada (you obviously are not happy ive read some of your other replies ) why are you still there and not back in the UK or is it you just get off on being so grumpy
Old May 25th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arniedog
oink a question for you ..... If you hate it so much in Canada (you obviously are not happy ive read some of your other replies ) why are you still there and not back in the UK or is it you just get off on being so grumpy
Was just thinking the same thing but he's not alone as I've noticed a few on here who's opinion of Canada is a negative one and to call the place a S***hole is just being rude.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:18 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Was just thinking the same thing but he's not alone as I've noticed a few on here who's opinion of Canada is a negative one and to call the place a S***hole is just being rude.
My husband asked me to stop reading the posts on this forum, because he said it would make me anti Canada! He gets sooo cross when posters are quite so negative about his country. ALL countries have their pros and cons, and unless you are talking about an oppressive hellhole, they all weigh up pretty much the same. I LOVE, lots of things French, and will miss it oodles, but I know I'll find lots of great things in Canada that will make up for the bits I miss - and probabaly some not so great bits too, that I'll just have to accept! I love England whenever I visit, it's super, in many ways, but in many ways Not too.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

(Can I just have a little rant, please?)

Okay, today I'm not excited. Today I'm peed off that my house is on the market and I have to keep it clean with four children who make no effort to help (surprise!) and every morning I run about like a maniac hoping we might get a call for a viewing and not a sausage. Not helped by the fact that the estate agent put it in the paper last week with the wrong town as the title, meaning that nobody looking for houses in our village would even see it, and anyone who called about it would be put off when they discovered it was in a village, not town.

And I'm peed off that the Canadian arm of my husband's company seem to work slower than the slowest things ever, meaning we've been waiting weeks and weeks for an alteration to the wording of the contract, meaning our move still isn't 100% certain, meaning my 11 year old is driving me mad asking what's happening and our 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) are picking up on my stress and behaving like monsters.
I think that anywhere you live will be what you make it. It will be a hard ajustment, life in Canada is different, I found it hard at first when I came to live in England. But you ajust and as long as you are willing to embrace the differences and not go in thinking everthing is going to be perfect, then you will be ok. It would be just the same if I was moving to England, you would be saying to me to just not expect everything to fall into place all at once, and to give the place a chance, there is good and bad everywhere in the world, you just got to have an open mind thats all.

Im sure skara things will suddenly all fall into place. Just keep smiling!
Old May 25th 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Skara, I'm so glad you started this post. I've been feeling so disillusioned recently. Our house is up for sale and we've had no viewings since November. We have no news on our visas and have had no reply to our 8 month since AOR query. We have even been discussing staying and getting on with our lives. It really feels like living in a bubble.

I laughed when you mentioned people's eyes glazing over. I must admit that I try not to talk about it too much as I must seem like it's the only thing I can talk about, especially since it's been 3 years since our first reccie. This is the best place to rant and most people will be supportive.

MillieF, I love reading your posts as I lived in France for 9 years. I loved it for the first 5 years and hated it for the last 4. When I moved back to England I felt like a foreigner so I'm used to feeling like an outsider even in my own country. You will adapt as you already did in France. You seem like you are so committed to your new life that I'm sure it will be a success.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Was just thinking the same thing but he's not alone as I've noticed a few on here who's opinion of Canada is a negative one and to call the place a ****hole is just being rude.
It's not being rude - it's just expressing an opinion.

Admittedly, we do have quite a few anti-Canada posters at the mo because a lot of forum members that moved last year are returning to the UK having discovered that Canada is not for them, but even so it's hardly 'rude' to express a dislike of a place!
Old May 25th 2011, 10:39 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Admittedly, we do have quite a few anti-Canada posters at the mo because a lot of forum members that moved last year are returning to the UK having discovered that Canada is not for them, but even so it's hardly 'rude' to express a dislike of a place!
i completely agree with you. I also find that some people do seem to want to hear only good things about Canada and not the bad , ive even been guilty of that myself and im sure many other posters on here would admit that too, but ive yet to find a reply from oink , and i do apologise to you oink if im wrong , that is good and upbeat . If oink is really hating being in Canada sooo much maybe its time to leave. I and everyone else who is planing on coming to Canada to start a new life knows that its not going to be easy , or they should anyway , but oink does seem to have a constant down on everything , im sorry if it seems im being rude to you oink but maybe my friend its time for you to find somewhere else to live
Old May 25th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

My Canadian friends who visit this forum disagree "to call our beautiful country a s***hole is just plain rude" you can express your dislike for a place without causing offence.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

i completely agree with you. I also find that some people do seem to want to hear only good things about Canada and not the bad , ive even been guilty of that myself and im sure many other posters on here would admit that too, but ive yet to find a reply from oink , and i do apologise to you oink if im wrong , that is good and upbeat . If oink is really hating being in Canada sooo much maybe its time to leave. I and everyone else who is planing on coming to Canada to start a new life knows that its not going to be easy , or they should anyway , but oink does seem to have a constant down on everything , im sorry if it seems im being rude to you oink but maybe my friend its time for you to find somewhere else to live
Good point, maybe that's why peeps are giving up after such a short time. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I for one appreciate both the pos and neg on here, for instance the high cost of car insurance was an eyeopener.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If oink is really hating being in Canada sooo much maybe its time to leave.
Not everybody can leave though. I don't know Oink's circumstances, but there are certainly forum members who either cannot afford to return, or who now have children or a Canadian partner that anchor them there, despite them preferring to live in the UK.

My Canadian friends who visit this forum disagree "to call our beautiful country a ****hole is just plain rude" you can express your dislike for a place without causing offence.
Not seen any post where somebody has called Canada a ****hole? If you can direct me to it, that would be helpful. And if you have an issue with a post, use the report button - that's what it's there for! Then we'll take action if it breaks site rules.

Good point, maybe that's why peeps are giving up after such a short time. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. I for one appreciate both the pos and neg on here, for instance the high cost of car insurance was an eyeopener.
With respect, you're not in Canada yet. I'm sure that Ducktastic and other forum members who planned their move for years were well aware of the cost of car insurance and other negatives about Canada, but years of research on an internet forum doesn't substitute for the experience.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 25th 2011 at 11:21 am.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:31 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply

Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest to people who get it - it's a bit like being pregnant - when you are, it's all you can think of, but even your closest friends and family start to glaze over when you start obsessing over it for the millionth time that week.

And Oink, I ran a marathon last year - bloody glad you weren't in my support crew, because if you had been I'd have given up and gone to the pub when I hit the wall.
he he, I like that last sentence, thats often how I feel reading those posts
Old May 25th 2011, 1:58 pm
forever blowing bubbles

Not everybody can leave though. I don't know Oink's circumstances, but there are certainly forum members who either cannot afford to return, or who now have children or a Canadian partner that anchor them there, despite them preferring to live in the UK.

fair point , i dont know oinks circumstances either but surely there is no need to be so negative. There must be something oink likes about life in Canada hopefully oink will read this and maybe tell us i feel sorry for people who build there dreams up of moving to Canada only to find that its so bad that they have to move back . I know its easy for me to say , im still in England , but surely people who move out and return within a few months havent given it time to work i would have thought you would need more time , a move to another town is going to take time to get used too but another country , another continent well Thats a different ball game altogether as we all know . I just hope it works for us aswell as anyone else who goes for it , it seems such a shame otherwise, so much work , time and money wasted .
Old May 25th 2011, 2:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian friends who visit this forum disagree "to call our beautiful country a s***hole is just plain rude" you can express your dislike for a place without causing offence.
This is a two way street though. I generally read more negativity of the UK (in this context) than that of Canada by new posters.

What you also need to bear in mind is that new posters such as the OP live in the dream whereas those in Canada live in reality

But that's easy for me to say as i sit on my couch writing this, drinking a nice coffee, enjoying the picture perfect snow capped mountains, and watching the dragon boaters paddle along the water grunting like a 50 year old fat man tying his shoelace.
Old May 25th 2011, 2:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But that's easy for me to say as i sit on my couch writing this, drinking a nice coffee, enjoying the picture perfect snow capped mountains, and watching the dragon boaters paddle along the water grunting like a 50 year old fat man tying his shoelace.
Your smug level is still lower than average for a Vancouver resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.