Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's not that I don't like snow, but....

It's not that I don't like snow, but....

Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not that I don't like snow, but....

Here in Calgary nothing much happens in the gardens until after the long weekend in May (end of, I think, without looking it up) People who get carried away and try to plant stuff before then are usually found replacing them after the "spring dump" of snow!

However, I have daffodils and tulips too sprouting well over 2 inches high ..... in little pots on my south-facing kitchen window-sill .... I shall have to watch them carefully though cos last year they whithered in the extreme heat!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

-25 this morning. Dark. Deep snow everywhere.

I could have gone to Australia.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:31 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

-22C in our back yard in Guelph.

Crisp, clear and sunny morning.

Still wish I was in Barbados though.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Here in Calgary nothing much happens in the gardens until after the long weekend in May (end of, I think, without looking it up) People who get carried away and try to plant stuff before then are usually found replacing them after the "spring dump" of snow!

However, I have daffodils and tulips too sprouting well over 2 inches high ..... in little pots on my south-facing kitchen window-sill .... I shall have to watch them carefully though cos last year they whithered in the extreme heat!!
The Victoria Day weekend (this year on May 19th) is the one you mean and it usually coincides with the beginning of the guaranteed frost free period which I think is around May 26th.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:15 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Thought i'd let you all know its about 8 degrees outside and very very overcast, gales and rain, rain and more rain forcast for the weekend....anybody homesick for England?? ha ha thought not...Can't wait to land in Calgary in may!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Thought i'd let you all know its about 8 degrees outside and very very overcast, gales and rain, rain and more rain forcast for the weekend....anybody homesick for England??
Well, yes. For the weather if nothing else.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madmac
-22C in our back yard in Guelph.

Crisp, clear and sunny morning.

Still wish I was in Barbados though.
Wow, that is cold for Guelph. -21 c here in the west end of Ottawa. -30 c this morning in Algonquin Park.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
July 27th, 12:44 pm.
Did you remember to account for the clocks going forward an hour between now and then?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:47 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Wow, that is cold for Guelph. -21 c here in the west end of Ottawa. -30 c this morning in Algonquin Park.
Just went for a quick walk around the block and the sunshine is misleading.

I thought "We'll it isn't that cold and the Sun is actually quite warm." Then I stepped into the shadows and Wham! The cold air hit me in the face and lungs.

It's cold.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:06 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
when is it likely to bogger off so Spring can SPROING into my life? I'm in Nova Scotia if anyone wants to be specific with a date and time!
Erm, as such , Spring is probably the most hideous season in NS, we have lots and lots of rain and fog in "springtime" which gets the place wet and humid enough for the black flies which arrive with the first sunny day.

Seriously, April/May/June are very unpredictable, July a bit better (although when I complained to a neighbour that it was cold at the beach in July they responded by saying "What do you expect? No one goes to the beach before August" - silly me"). Since I've been here, Aug, Sept and Oct have been fantastic.

Batten down the hatches for a few more months.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Erm, as such , Spring is probably the most hideous season in NS, we have lots and lots of rain and fog in "springtime" which gets the place wet and humid enough for the black flies which arrive with the first sunny day.

Seriously, April/May/June are very unpredictable, July a bit better (although when I complained to a neighbour that it was cold at the beach in July they responded by saying "What do you expect? No one goes to the beach before August" - silly me"). Since I've been here, Aug, Sept and Oct have been fantastic.

I feel strangely reassured by that. I thought it was just Newfoundland that had rain, drizzle and fog instead of spring! I recall last year in early June it had brightened up & the grass was growing but there were no buds or leaves on the tree. I went to ON for a week (where spring had very definately sprung some weeks before) and came back to leaves on the trees! I think the whole spring thing on the East Coast is made worse by talking to people back in UK who are generally enjoying warmth and sunshine in May!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

The more i read threads like these the more i realize how wonderful the Okanagan weather is. Sunny and blue skies again today and very mild, lots of peeps in t shirts and even the odd nutter in shorts.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

I'm beginning to think I had better stay in the UK!:-) We're thinking of coming to the Yarmouth area and I look at the weather forecast every so often. I thought it didn't look too bad recently. Is there much snow there? I was in Kingston a few years ago and the temps were about -20, and I'm hoping that NS is a bit warmer! Are there many black flies and do you really only have about 3 months are good weather?

My husband and I are planning on retiring to NS (He's Canadian, from Ontario). I think I'll miss the usually mild winters and the lovely spring of the UK.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:26 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NoreenC
I'm beginning to think I had better stay in the UK!:-) We're thinking of coming to the Yarmouth area and I look at the weather forecast every so often. I thought it didn't look too bad recently. Is there much snow there? I was in Kingston a few years ago and the temps were about -20, and I'm hoping that NS is a bit warmer! Are there many black flies and do you really only have about 3 months are good weather?

My husband and I are planning on retiring to NS (He's Canadian, from Ontario). I think I'll miss the usually mild winters and the lovely spring of the UK.
There is nothing wrong with fall and winter - fall can be wet but there's nothing wrong with snow - the roads are always driveable, very little stops. There are more blue sky days here than I have known anywhere else. I'd say Feb/Mar/Apr/May are the most unpredictable months, a part from that you get more than your fair share of good weather.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

There is nothing wrong with fall and winter - fall can be wet but there's nothing wrong with snow - the roads are always driveable, very little stops. There are more blue sky days here than I have known anywhere else. I'd say Feb/Mar/Apr/May are the most unpredictable months, a part from that you get more than your fair share of good weather.
Thanks for that; it's reassuring. I remember the blue skies of Ontario and walking in crisp snow with blue tinges to it - like you see in photos:-) It was lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.