Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape!

Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape!

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape!

Theres never any good news anymore is there?

This headline has really put my mood down today.

I hate this country - yes i know murders happen elsewhere but why do there seem to be so may weirdos here????
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape!

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby

I hate this country - yes i know murders happen elsewhere but why do there seem to be so may weirdos here????
Care to elaborate for those of us who don't read the Express?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape!

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Care to elaborate for those of us who don't read the Express?
Sorry I suppose I should have done that - poor little six year old boy left at home overnight with live in lodger while poor father has to work nights!!

Father comes home to find boy murdered by lodger - lodger since been arrested!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape

As bad as that is, it's worth remembering one of the things Britain does have going for it is that the murder rate is one of the lowest in the world: Canada's is about twice as high, as are those of most mainland European countries.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:27 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its headlines like on front of Express today that make me so determined to escape

Originally Posted by MarkG
As bad as that is, it's worth remembering one of the things Britain does have going for it is that the murder rate is one of the lowest in the world: Canada's is about twice as high
Agreed.

Bsidebaby, I can understand what you're feeling but you will not be escaping weirdos by migrating to Canada.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Agreed.

Bsidebaby, I can understand what you're feeling but you will not be escaping weirdos by migrating to Canada.
Especially when you stumble on Hastings / Davie St in Vancouver !!!! :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

emma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stuartm
Especially when you stumble on Hastings / Davie St in Vancouver !!!! :scared:
The worst one that I recall was the father throwing his daughter off the overpass on to a busy highway. Horrific. There are unsavory characters all over the world, you just have to be sensible. Sad state of affairs
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma69
The worst one that I recall was the father throwing his daughter off the overpass on to a busy highway. Horrific. There are unsavory characters all over the world, you just have to be sensible. Sad state of affairs

There's an apartment building on the lakefront in suburban Toronto (Palace Pier) where a cop famously threw his spouse off the balcony. The highway goes right by it and I always look up for hurtling police wives.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

First off let me say I love living here and my experiences overall have exceeded expectations. But I am heartily sick of reading crap like this propagated by the right wing press in UK. Canada is by no means a haven away from behaviour like this. I hope your determination to get out is not fuelled by stuff like this, cause it aint gonna give you much solace if the first difficult months of settling. Canada has huge problems of its own. Where I live in the past year over 15 people have died on the roads, police have shot teenage joyriders and the problem with drugs and homelessness is almost out of control.
Canada also has the potential to get to the stage we are in in Britain with kids having babies on welfare as the first signs of increased marriage breakdown are begining to kick in. People here are contantly moaning about "bums" on welfare and immigrants (mainly non-white).
The country does not seem to have any equal opportunites polices and positively discriminate for citizens. So there are some frustrations here which tabloid headlines back home can not give answers.
Finally Canadians are fairly apathetic to the world and events around them , take the recent hikes in Gas (over 70% in 5 months!). Which I dont think bodes too well for positive action in any of the areas I've mentioned.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Some really interesting responses....especially the Canuck murder rate...wow that was a shocker !
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys

for those of you who don't already know it, try logging on to www.nationmaster.com for loads of comparative statistics about different countries. It's a real eye opener - especially in terms of Canadian crime etc, so make sure you're going for the right reasons! Be sure to go for the per capita stats though where available. New Zealand seems to come out pretty badly for some reason in some of them too, which surprised me, but it makes a change from e-client!!

SQ
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Some really interesting responses....especially the Canuck murder rate...wow that was a shocker
Well, it's not something that should put you off moving: it's around 2 per 100,000 per year, which is pretty average for Western nations. America is more like 8 per 100,000 (though that's hugely biased by the inner cities with murder rates of over 100 per 100,000).

Interestingly, Ottowa has a murder rate about as low as the UK, and Saskatoon is about three times higher:

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050721/d050721a.htm
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a good idea if you tried reading some other newspapers for a while:

www.guardian.co.uk
www.independent.co.uk

or even (shock horror! )
www.telegraph.co.uk
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:17 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I know this is going slightly off topic, but kids seem to be left on their own at a younger age here (I see this on Pro-D days...)

Also, you can get a babysitting licence at 11. And my a friend was seriously considering having a 12 year old (just) look after her two kids over the summer holidays.

Clare
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Might be a good idea if you tried reading some other newspapers for a while:

www.guardian.co.uk
www.independent.co.uk

or even (shock horror! )
www.telegraph.co.uk
I dont buy any newspapers - not worth it-all doom and gloom whichever one you read- just saw headlines standing in a shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.