Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Intro \ 6 day Anniversary

Intro \ 6 day Anniversary

Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough
Default Intro \ 6 day Anniversary

Hi All,
I arrived in Toronto last Thursday with a PR\Spousal Common Law visa and used this site quite a bit for my research, so just thought I'd say hello!

I was living in London before and am originally from Scotland, and am now staying in Southern Ontario looking to move in to Toronto as soon as I have work lined up.

So far TO looks like a great place to live and work, we had a look around on Saturday and went to Greek Town, Yong and Egg, the Real Sports bar, somewhere in Queen West (it was getting late and the jet lag and Alexander Keith's was really kicking in!) then a Russian bar called Pravda on Wellington St East.

I'm currently sorting out the essentials like SIN number, cell phone (just had to jailbreak my 02 iPhone to get it to work on Koodo!) and am just chilling in Second Cup in a mall in Hamilton to sort stuff out . . .

Anyway the site has been a great resource in helping us process our application through London, so thanks a lot to the community
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:50 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro \ 6 day Anniversary

Welcome to Canada. Good luck with your job hunt
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi and welcome,

We have been in Toronto since Jan this year so still newbies but, like you, we are enjoying the exploring.

Sounds like you are getting yourselves sorted...happy job hunting
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mudcat
Hi All,
So far TO looks like a great place to live and work, we had a look around on Saturday and went to Greek Town, Yong and Egg, the Real Sports bar, somewhere in Queen West (it was getting late and the jet lag and Alexander Keith's was really kicking in!) then a Russian bar called Pravda on Wellington St East.
Yong & Egg - love it! I live at just north of Broadview & Danforth - about a 15 minute walk/5 minute bus ride, so let me know if you have any questions if you are thinking of moving to the area etc. Happy to help. Been here for just over 18 months now.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all, and cheers VF for the offer of help, I might give you a shout if\when we come back to check out the area.

Have you seen "Timothy's" cafe down Yonge? There are a couple. We went in thinking it was a nice little independent coffee place and a break from Hortons and Starbucks, then I realised it was just a premium Horton's anyway . . .
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, and cheers VF for the offer of help, I might give you a shout if\when we come back to check out the area.

Have you seen "Timothy's" cafe down Yonge? There are a couple. We went in thinking it was a nice little independent coffee place and a break from Hortons and Starbucks, then I realised it was just a premium Horton's anyway . . .
Its a chain, but its not related to Timmies in any way AFAIK...
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

iaink - yeah you're right, my bad!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

. We went in thinking it was a nice little independent coffee place and a break from Hortons and Starbucks, then I realised it was just a premium Horton's anyway . . .
If you want that sort of place then Jet Fuel on Parliament is probably the most self regarding coffee shop in the world.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I arrived in Toronto last Thursday with a PR\Spousal Common Law visa and used this site quite a bit for my research, so just thought I'd say hello!

I was living in London before and am originally from Scotland, and am now staying in Southern Ontario looking to move in to Toronto as soon as I have work lined up.

I'm currently sorting out the essentials like SIN number, cell phone (just had to jailbreak my 02 iPhone to get it to work on Koodo!) and am just chilling in Second Cup in a mall in Hamilton to sort stuff out . . .

Anyway the site has been a great resource in helping us process our application through London, so thanks a lot to the community
Welcome to Canada mudcat.

I share a similar journey to yours. From Scotland but lived in London before coming over to Toronto - also on common-law PR.

I have a penchant for coffee too. I'm really enjoying a smaller chain called Balzacs ATM.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Chromeo,
I see there is one in Liberty Village - have you been to that area? I went last June and didn't really take to it but might give it a second chance.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Chromeo,
I see there is one in Liberty Village - have you been to that area? I went last June and didn't really take to it but might give it a second chance.
I used to live Lakeshore and Bathurst so Liberty Village was about a 10 minute walk from my condo. Liberty Village can be a fun place to hang out and does offer lot's of conveniences (considering it's size) but it can feel a little steril in a 'planned town' sort of way... shopping and the bars etc is what you'd expect for a upwardly 20's/30's condo dweller enviro... Starbucks/Sushi/NoddleBar etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:22 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Around Y&E there is now a Bulldog cafe (just East on Eg). Excellent coffee and not too poncy.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Around Y&E there is now a Bulldog cafe (just East on Eg). Excellent coffee and not too poncy.
There is one of those just south of Carlton and Church - satisfies the Ryerson crowds - always looks jammed.

I used to work up at Y&E - That location has changed ownership/names so many times - it was something else last Spring... can't remember the name of it - something panini.

I worked next door - the then owner took a leisurely approach to making what should have been a quick caffeine fix. Hopefully now that it's a Bulldog there will be some longevity.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Hey Deeny,

Hows it going, hope you are well and all is going well for you. My countdown has begun as you know

Mhut

Originally Posted by Deeny
Hi and welcome,

We have been in Toronto since Jan this year so still newbies but, like you, we are enjoying the exploring.

Sounds like you are getting yourselves sorted...happy job hunting
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I like how this is turning into a coffee thread, and sorry you were duped by Timothys - although it's better than Timmies.

You might want to check out the following if you are into your coffee - www.indiecoffeepassport.com - although it is almost over, runs out at the end of March, so not worth buying one now I wouldn't have thought, but it does have a good list of independent places. My absolute favourite in the city is Moonbean on St.Andrews St at Kensington Market. Followed by Rooster on Broadview Avenue which has great views over Riverdale Park.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.