Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

As our situation is a little different from others I though I would give a progress report on how things are going with our move to the Mississauga area on an Intra-Company Transfer.
My other post has the details of this UK to USA now onto Canada - A new chapter begins.

The last couple of weeks things have picked up speed with an immigration lawyer appointed and contact made with the transfer manager. The employment contract has been signed and returned to.
The first set of documentation we had to complete was the following:
Temporary health insurance plan - Company provided until the Ontario one is activated.
Relocation Repayment contract - Pretty much tying us to the company for 12 months.
Immigration lawyer consent forms.
The second set of documents:
Questionnaires for both myself and my wife for application information.
Copies of passports, USA Visa's, Qualifications, payslips, marriage certificate and employment verification documents.

We have also started our UK tax return for 2017-18 to get that done before we leave here.

We have also started to take a look at rental properties to see how they will work out with travel and budgets.

The company have agreed to move our vehicle form Montana to Mississauga so that was good news this week as we thought we may need to sell it.

I'll keep posting the updates.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intra Company Transfer USA to Canada - Progress report

Sounds very similar to my early experience so far. Good luck with the rest of it.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Sounds very similar to my early experience so far. Good luck with the rest of it.
Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2018, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we have just come over on my husband's ICT all went relatively smoothly. Good Luck
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi we have just come over on my husband's ICT all went relatively smoothly. Good Luck
That is good to hear, I hope ours goes the same.

Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

No news for the last 8 days, I remember these days from moving from England to Montana. They drag by and I find it one of the hardest parts about moving. Is anyone dealing with my stuff? Is it sitting on a lawyers desk? Have they got the same priorities as I want them to have. I have to keep busy and keep an open mind, but it's tough.

We continue to enjoy the Summer in Montana and hope for more news soon, the company are still under the impression that we with be there for 1st September, I have my doubts at this moment in time - 6 weeks away can it really happen that quick?

Remain positive
keep busy
stay hopeful

D&C
Old Jul 21st 2018, 6:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What’s the lawyer doing? An intra company TWP is so simple and so common I’m not sure why one is needed tbh.

You only need a few fairly simple documents and then you can just rock up and can get your TWP at the border, so 6 weeks is much longer than really needed. You should easily be there by Sept unless they’re doing something unusual.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What’s the lawyer doing? An intra company TWP is so simple and so common I’m not sure why one is needed tbh.

You only need a few fairly simple documents and then you can just rock up and can get your TWP at the border, so 6 weeks is much longer than really needed. You should easily be there by Sept unless they’re doing something unusual.
I have no idea tbh, my company hired the company to facilitate my transfer. They send me forms I complete and send them back. My understanding to this point is that the controls are stricter these days on ICT so I need to prove my qualifications, experience and reasons for entering. This forms the application and then once approved I will need to travel to Canada to activate PR and TWP + OWP for my wife.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
This forms the application and then once approved I will need to travel to Canada to activate PR and TWP + OWP for my wife.
OK. But there is no need to do any of that before you go, you can just apply on entry to Canada (if you did want to go sooner).

And just to clarify, you won't be activing PR - you only get a Temp Work Permit under the ICT work permit program. PR will come later on down the line if you're eligible and decide to apply, it's a completely separate application. I would personally advise you look in to your PR options asap, to avoid the same thing happening again. On a TWP you're at the mercy of your employer (again) and tied to them, whereas once you've got PR you could stay in Canada even if there is no job for you, and you could also work for anybody. So I would strongly recommend you get check to see if you are eligible for PR and if so, get an application underway as soon as reasonably possible, just to give yourself some security.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 21st 2018 at 2:49 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

OK. But there is no need to do any of that before you go, you can just apply on entry to Canada (if you did want to go sooner).

And just to clarify, you won't be activing PR - you only get a Temp Work Permit under the ICT work permit program. PR will come later on down the line if you're eligible and decide to apply, it's a completely separate application.

HTH.
I guess with it being a large company they want it all done and approval in place before we travel. I assume that I would not be able to work until approved so that's why they want me to stay here until that's sorted.

RE: PR - that bit was a bit confusing to me the wiki stuff sent me in loops with TWP, OWP & PR. So if correct I will enter on a TWP as a skilled worker allowing my wife to apply for OWP. Then later on you can apply for PR? PR Being the equivalent of green card in the US?
Old Jul 21st 2018, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I guess with it being a large company they want it all done and approval in place before we travel. I assume that I would not be able to work until approved so that's why they want me to stay here until that's sorted.
Fair enough, they may prefer to have it applied for before you go, although worth noting that even in that case you don't get your TWP until you actually arrive in Canada. For applying at the POE, you'd need the same info but then the TWP is issued immediately, rather than having to wait 8 weeks or so for the letter of approval via a visa office.

RE: PR - that bit was a bit confusing to me the wiki stuff sent me in loops with TWP, OWP & PR. So if correct I will enter on a TWP as a skilled worker allowing my wife to apply for OWP. Then later on you can apply for PR? PR Being the equivalent of green card in the US?
Yep, exactly. So the TWP is the equivalent of your L1 visa in the US i.e. temporary and you can't work for anybody else. PR would be the equivalent of a 'green card' i.e. Permanent Residency and the freedom to work for anybody (or retire, study, set up your own business, whatever you want). Hence why I would strongly suggest you check to see if you're eligible for PR before you go, it would be awful to be in the same situation again and being in Canada on an intra-company TWP doesn't mean you automatically get PR, you still have to apply for it the same as everybody else. The big advantage of Canada versus the US when it comes to PR status, is that unlike the US you wouldn't necessarily need your employer to help you get PR, you could apply for it independently as soon as you arrive, if you score enough points.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So if correct I will enter on a TWP as a skilled worker allowing my wife to apply for OWP. Then later on you can apply for PR? PR Being the equivalent of green card in the US?
Correct. She will be able to apply at the POE and pay the applicable fees when you get your work permit providing she is travelling on a visa exempt passport although will still need the eTA.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

No news for the last 8 days, I remember these days from moving from England to Montana. They drag by and I find it one of the hardest parts about moving. Is anyone dealing with my stuff? Is it sitting on a lawyers desk? Have they got the same priorities as I want them to have. I have to keep busy and keep an open mind, but it's tough.

We continue to enjoy the Summer in Montana and hope for more news soon, the company are still under the impression that we with be there for 1st September, I have my doubts at this moment in time - 6 weeks away can it really happen that quick?

Remain positive
keep busy
stay hopeful

D&C
Hi we arrived on the 7th June via ICT my husband's company used their lawyers to sort the forms and paper work out. They needed to get a file together to support the transfer (he came over on the senior management part) The lawyers needed to apply for a code on the immigration website to attach to the paperwork. We then presented the file at immigration on arrival to Canada and where given my husband's TWP and my OWP and visitors records for the children. As previously stated you do not get PR.

With regards to waiting, we where the same as you. We had everything arranged for the 7th June, flights for all the family including the dog, hotel, car hire etc and we where assured that everything on their side would be ready. Six days before our flight my husband received a call that the immigration website was down and they couldn't get the code (which is I believe to do with not needing an LMIA) and didn't know when they would get it. Two very long days later we where told that everything was good to go.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Fair enough, they may prefer to have it applied for before you go, although worth noting that even in that case you don't get your TWP until you actually arrive in Canada. For applying at the POE, you'd need the same info but then the TWP is issued immediately, rather than having to wait 8 weeks or so for the letter of approval via a visa office.

Yep, exactly. So the TWP is the equivalent of your L1 visa in the US i.e. temporary and you can't work for anybody else. PR would be the equivalent of a 'green card' i.e. Permanent Residency and the freedom to work for anybody (or retire, study, set up your own business, whatever you want). Hence why I would strongly suggest you check to see if you're eligible for PR before you go, it would be awful to be in the same situation again and being in Canada on an intra-company TWP doesn't mean you automatically get PR, you still have to apply for it the same as everybody else. The big advantage of Canada versus the US when it comes to PR status, is that unlike the US you wouldn't necessarily need your employer to help you get PR, you could apply for it independently as soon as you arrive, if you score enough points.

HTH, good luck.
Really helpful information thank you.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Correct. She will be able to apply at the POE and pay the applicable fees when you get your work permit providing she is travelling on a visa exempt passport although will still need the eTA.
Perfect, thanks. I believe we will both need eta on arrival to be issued TWP & OWP. ALL of which can happen once the file is complete for presentation at POE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.