Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interview - tie or no tie.

Interview - tie or no tie.

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:50 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Interview - tie or no tie.

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
If people (especially the boss or those with a longer time with the company) end up being offended by you
Which would lead me to ask, is Canadian corporate culture inclined to put those with relevant experience (and hopefully ability too) in charge ?

Certainly in the UK that seems to rarely be the case, where managers of are often placed in charge of people, about whose skills they know nothing. My previous boss was a qualified chemist, yet he was a qualified chemist.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:53 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Contrary to popular belief, ass-kissing will not necessarily get you very far, it may just prevent you from getting fired.
Harder to have a postive, gung ho attitude towards the company if they are no longer employing you!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:02 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirTainly
Harder to have a postive, gung ho attitude towards the company if they are no longer employing you!
I've always taken the attitude of not kissing ass where I work, and it has worked pretty well for me up to now. At the end of the day, it is delivery rather than bullshit that gets you on...
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:07 pm
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I've always taken the attitude of not kissing ass where I work, and it has worked pretty well for me up to now. At the end of the day, it is delivery rather than bullshit that gets you on...
If only that was always true

2 teams in a company, one always met deadlines, ran on next to zero budget and made money for the company. The other never set any deadlines, rarely completed work ,never produced anything useful, and had a budget bigger than half the other teams salaries. Guess which got pay rises and promotions ?

If you guessed the first you'd be wrong and thats why I'm no longer working there!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:29 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Maybe you've got a point there, just don't stick your nose in too far!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 22nd 2004 at 4:31 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:52 am
Glaswegian

Which would lead me to ask, is Canadian corporate culture inclined to put those with relevant experience (and hopefully ability too) in charge ?
Do you want the honest answer or the "positive for new immigrants" answer?

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 12:06 pm
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Do you want the honest answer or the "positive for new immigrants" answer?
I'd prefer honesty, if it's as bad as it is here, then I'd be now worse off, if it's better then that's a bonus.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 12:44 pm
Glaswegian

I'd prefer honesty, if it's as bad as it is here, then I'd be now worse off, if it's better then that's a bonus.
The answer is the obvious one ... it depends on the people you're working for.

The first job I had was a small privately owned company ... I worked on site at a lot of other small privately owned companies ... saw lots of nepotism and ass kissing.

The company I work for now is higher up the foodchain ... I work on site with national or global companies ... so I now see hard work and effort being rewarded more often ... guess what? I'm now MUCH happier.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:08 am
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
The answer is the obvious one ... it depends on the people you're working for.

The first job I had was a small privately owned company ... I worked on site at a lot of other small privately owned companies ... saw lots of nepotism and ass kissing.

The company I work for now is higher up the foodchain ... I work on site with national or global companies ... so I now see hard work and effort being rewarded more often ... guess what? I'm now MUCH happier.
Thanks for your honesty