Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interview with Citizenship Judge, HELP!

Interview with Citizenship Judge, HELP!

Old Jun 9th 2003, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

fmtan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview with Citizenship Judge, HELP!

Has anyone failed the citizenship exam and have to see the judge?

Pls advise any of your experiences. Need some insight.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview with Citizenship Judge, HELP!

There are internet sites with every question and answer you are likely to ever be asked and the book contains all the info anyway. It is virtually impossible to fail since it is set at Grade 3 level! That said, I know of one person who failed it - purely a language issue, as he refused (disrespectfully in my opinion) to learn English or French and remained cocooned in the Chinese community in BC. If your issue was a language one, I suggest you get some English or French lessons pronto and re-read the book. If you have learning difficulties, then ask for help. Just convince the judge you had a bad day and he will likely pass you.

Originally posted by fmtan
Has anyone failed the citizenship exam and have to see the judge?

Pls advise any of your experiences. Need some insight.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I do not have a language problem. I can read, write & understand English very well.

I was just very nervous during the exam. Right after the exam, I knew I screwed up on one question, and only one. There were 2 questions about Citizenship Responsibilities. According to the instructions, you have to answer both questions correctly otherwise, you will fail. And I knew that I missed one.

The exam was easy, seriously. My score is 19 out of 20. But made a mistake on the critical one, damn it!

So when I called Citizenship Canada call centre, they said that there's a note that I have to appear before a citizenship judge.

Will the judge ask me about the "citizenship responsibilty" only topics or he/she will ask me anything about the book "A Look at Canada?"
Anyone knows about the timeline to appear before a judge in Mississauga, Ontario?

Any inputs/comments is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

mebobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face fmtan can you help with interview questions?

i have a citizenship interview scheduled with judge missausaga..my case is quite unlucky that i missed my citizenship written test...so they gave me a hearing with judge...could please give me the questions and answers asked by judge and the total procedue to appear him..i would really appreciate it..its very urgent..thank u
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Default 2nd Chance

I failed on my written exam also in Mississauga.

So, 3 weeks ago, I received a letter for the hearing with a citizenship judge in Mississauga.

When I got there, all the people there failed their first writtten exam too. At least, it made me more comfortable that I'm not the only one.

We were ask to take a written exam again which is the same as the first exam depends on what color of questionaire. But similar to the first exam, it was very easy. The last 5 questions about the citizenship responsibilities & voting procedure are the same for all color coded questionaires.

After the written exam, everyone is ask to stay, then they will check the result of your written exam immediately. Then pass or fail (i'm sure everyone will pass it this time), everyone is required to stay & wait their turn to see the judge. The waiting is the time consuming part.

The citizenship judge just will ask the following questions:
1. How long have you been in Canada?
2. Are you married or single?
3. How many kids (if married)?
4. What does your spouse do?
5. Does your spouse know about the government system in Canada?
6. Do you have a criminal record?
7. What is your address?
8. What is the premier of Ontario?
9. Who is your MP?
10. Who is the Prime Minister of Canada?
11. What is the ruling party in the federal govt?
12. What party does the premier of Ontario belongs to?
13. What party does your MP belongs to?
14. Who is your mayor?

Very basic questions. Just like chatting with the judge.

After your interview/chat with the judge. He will then let you know if your pass or fail. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2003, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Default Thanks a lot fmtan

Your reply is really a relief for me...Thank you very much for quick response....is this interview taken infront of everyone??..u gave 14 questions..but how long this interview last?...are there any additinal documents will be asked other then those 3 item mentioned in letter....what will they check before allowing to write the test or facing the judge...pls give some details....lol...since u know if u writng the test its easy to pick one answer...but while answering the judge u may tell him he is the pm of canada..just kidding...are you nervous at that time?...pls gime some more details if i miss anyting..thank u
Old Jul 17th 2003, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Bring the documents they require on the letter. But when we got there, they only look at the letter & id with picture. Since, we already showed our passport & landing papers on the 1st written exam.

It was time consuming to wait for the interview with the judge since everyone will have to see the judge one by one (not together) in the judge's office.

The 14 questions are mostly all possible questions that the judge asked during the interview. It only lasted for 3 mins, not bad at all. It was just like a chat.

One guy who could not answer the judge's question, was told to study again in the waiting area & will be called back in later.

It should be ok. Hope it clears it for you. Good luck again.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Default ThanQ fmtan

thank you very much for ur reply..pls keep posted about the oath letter time range when u recieved..for eg..the date u took the interview and the date u recieved for oath..thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Good job I am not answering those questions - I haven't the faintest idea who my MP is. Of course, in Saskatchewan nobody cares becuase when you have a federal election everything is won by the time they get as far east as the Ontario border!!
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Default Re: ThanQ fmtan

hi fmtan could pls tell me time range for oath after the test/interview...thanks

Originally posted by mebobby
thank you very much for ur reply..pls keep posted about the oath letter time range when u recieved..for eg..the date u took the interview and the date u recieved for oath..thanks.