Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Internet Connection

Internet Connection

Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:39 pm
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Internet Connection

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
In the UK it was via cable (NTL) and we paid £34 per month for it. Over here we get around 2 mb and pay $49 per month, but it is our only option at the moment. We also had to pay $400 for the tower to be put up, but we do own that, so could take it with us if we moved and perhaps use it as a bird watching tower or decorate it at Christmas!
You can utilize that 40 ft tower more, by buying dishes for satellites and have them installed on the tower for great signal, to receive free to air channels and pay per view ones if you know how to mod the receiver box, that you can buy online or from a local retailer. Viewsat is the best receiver out there now

I am having a 50 ft tower installed this summer to receive over the air HD channels on our Tv that has a built in ATSC tuner. That is the going rate for towers by the way.

Nice home and blog you have
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
In the UK it was via cable (NTL) and we paid £34 per month for it. Over here we get around 2 mb and pay $49 per month, but it is our only option at the moment. We also had to pay $400 for the tower to be put up, but we do own that, so could take it with us if we moved and perhaps use it as a bird watching tower or decorate it at Christmas!
Wow, thats a lot less than Xplore net want for 2MB

Which company is it?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j4cksparrow
You can utilize that 40 ft tower more, by buying dishes for satellites and have them installed on the tower for great signal, to receive free to air channels and pay per view ones if you know how to mod the receiver box, that you can buy online or from a local retailer. Viewsat is the best receiver out there now

I am having a 50 ft tower installed this summer to receive over the air HD channels on our Tv that has a built in ATSC tuner. That is the going rate for towers by the way.

Nice home and blog you have
The problem with satelite dishes on antenna towers is that they wobble around like crazy in the wind, and snow and ice clearance is near impossible, so signal drop out is a big problem (thats what we were told anyway)
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:04 am
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough

It all depends on how solid the tower is in the first place. The key is to have the tower into the ground properly, using gravel and cement to hold it down.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Wow, thats a lot less than Xplore net want for 2MB

Which company is it?

This company seems to offer more for your buck than Xplore ......... but the question is availability ........... seems like they concentrate more in Eastern Ontario ................ Worth a bolo though..........................

http://www.storm.ca/Wireless.html
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:12 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

It all depends on how solid the tower is in the first place. The key is to have the tower into the ground properly, using gravel and cement to hold it down.
If only that was the case. Lattice type TV antenna towers are designed to flex, regardless of how firmly rooted they are. A hydro pole on the other hand might work.

Doesnt help either way with a satellite dish coated in freezing rain. The ice/ snow from the last dump of freezing rain only melted in the last few days here, after about 10 days coverage. Bit inconvenient 50 feet up if it happens to coat the antenna.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Who says you have to burn the movies and songs? Have you heard of a media centre that you can use to beam movies, mp3s and pictures to your tv downstairs from the computer room wirelessly?

HTPC is another route

Oh good grief, if I want to watch a film I want the characters to speak at the pace they would in real life, I want them to move with fluid, natural, movements. I don't a shitload of unreliable geekery all over the house in order to see jerky movements and hear snatches of dialog as if I was overhearing a conversation in a train. dvds delivered by post are just a better solution than a transmitted signal, especially somewhere like Canada where much of the country has no infrastructure. VHS is even a better solution but, of course, it's becoming difficult to get videos in that format.

Besides which, I haven't needed a "computer room" since the eighties, I don't need to be doing with suspended floors and chillers no more. If I have a disk I can play it at home, in the car, in the office, wherever; all that's needed is a laptop or a TV and a $40 player.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by atfab
This company seems to offer more for your buck than Xplore ......... but the question is availability ........... seems like they concentrate more in Eastern Ontario ................ Worth a bolo though..........................

http://www.storm.ca/Wireless.html
Cheers, bit too far east for me...Im asking Jane really as shes in my general neck of the woods.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
VHS is even a better solution but, of course, it's becoming difficult to get videos in that format.

I defy you to name three ways VHS is better!!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with satelite dishes on antenna towers is that they wobble around like crazy in the wind, and snow and ice clearance is near impossible, so signal drop out is a big problem (thats what we were told anyway)

I believe that to be true. However, a man is coming at ten to give us a big erection. I'll have direct experience of that this afternoon and will report (perhaps using this dial up service).
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

I defy you to name three ways VHS is better!!!

You can wind to a specific frame, not just to "chapters".

The picture doesn't fragment into pixels.

The medium is good for better than ten years. I'm not sure how long but dvds are only good for five.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

I believe that to be true. However, a man is coming at ten to give us a big erection. I'll have direct experience of that this afternoon and will report (perhaps using this dial up service).

Make good and sure that it is protected from ice and snow now!............................................:r ofl:
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You can wind to a specific frame, not just to "chapters".

The picture doesn't fragment into pixels.

The medium is good for better than ten years. I'm not sure how long but dvds are only good for five.
You can advance a DVD frame by frame...and it doesn't flicker, you can enter a time to go to to the second too. Last I checked VCRs didnt even have chapters, unless you had a fancy machine that indexed the tapes as it recorded them.

My DVDs picture never fragments into pixels...even the kids disks are seemingly durable in this respect. The only time thats an issue is if there is some drop out from the camcorder to the computer if Im using a compressed format to record data from the camcorder rather than raw AVI. Maybe the trick is to spend more than $40 on the machine?

Ten years...good luck! Ever dropped a cassette? Or given it to a small child for a few minutes, or had a VCR machine chew it up and spit it out or wrap the tape around the head? Many of my DVDs are wa more than 5 years old, and none have any degradation. Cant say the same for some of the snowier tapes.

Im not a big fan of VCR is you hadnt guessed. Try playing a VCR on your laptop

Good luck with your erection, I know its been a while now Hopefully your quality of life will improve enormously as a result

Last edited by iaink; Mar 16th 2007 at 1:45 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:54 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

DB - Will you be fiddling with your erection all weekend then?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:51 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

We are with Xplornet and we rarely have a problem with the connection. The wind certainly hasn't affected it and nor has any of the weather we have had lately including the ice rain.

The only time we have a problem is when they upgrade or do some work on the system - they don't let you know they are doing it and it sometimes slows it down to dial up speeds for a few hours, but on the whole we are pretty pleased with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.