Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Internet Connection

Internet Connection

Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:29 am
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Internet Connection

Originally Posted by iaink
If there was a hardwired high speed option nearby, I'd be using it!

"Nearby" is a relative term anyway when living in the country, and local geography isnt helping me as I'm tucked down in the valley between what pass for hills around here.

My best hope is a microwave link to a local base station...I was talking to a friend who has that, and although he gets 2Gbps, he suffers from the connection / application issues described by dbd. Frankly I dont miss not having it a home, but as the kids get older it will become an issue for homework and leasure I imagine.
needless to say downloading music and movies is not an option for you?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j4cksparrow
Only at work. Shit, we dont have time to watch the stuff we record on TV anyway, we can happily live without more content
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see the point of downloading films regardless of the link speed. Why not just rent the disk?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:41 am
Banned

j4cksparrow will become famous soon enoughj4cksparrow will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't see the point of downloading films regardless of the link speed. Why not just rent the disk?
why, when the downloads are dvdrips of good quality, if not better than what you get from the video store? Also you don't have to worry about taking it back, and you can watch whenever you like

You can't rent most TV shows can you?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

why, when the downloads are dvdrips of good quality, if not better than what you get from the video store? Also you don't have to worry about taking it back, and you can watch whenever you like

We rent by mail, the effort involved in walking to the end of the driveway to put out a film for the postman and carry the next one in seems trivial compared with downloading the film, burning the dvd, and carrying it to the television and we don't have to buy any media.

You can rent most TV shows but, if it's on TV, you can watch it for free with none of this bother; simply note the time of the show and turn the television on at that time.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

Only at work. Shit, we dont have time to watch the stuff we record on TV anyway, we can happily live without more content

If you guy's have the chance to download Movies and Music at your workplace ............ You have a good thing going .................. Can I send you a list?............................................. .........
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atfab
If you guy's have the chance to download Movies and Music at your workplace ............ You have a good thing going .................. Can I send you a list?............................................. .........
No. As I said, in my life I need less content, not more! Ive no time as it is.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice

No. As I said, in my life I need less content, not more! Ive no time as it is.

Just kidding!! ............ Like you I have little time to watch TV ..... with only an Antenna to pull in the signal you don't get much by way of variety. If it's Movies we wish to watch we usually rent them ............. they are cheap enough and has dbd said with no hassle...............................
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:09 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

This is more by way of curiosity ........ how many who post on this forum have a High Speed internet connection? ......... would seem that many of us who live in Rural communities are condemned to be stuck with the old copper wire infrastructure and a connection speed that resembles molasses being poured on a cold day ......... entreaties to Ma Bell result in promises that fibre optic infrastructure will be available soon .... soon being the operative word and has now stretched well over six years. People who are able/allowed to surf whilst at their place of work are indeed fortunate and probably have the advantage of the Mega Speed bandwidths ........... certainly wasn't an option when I was working though. Microwave transmission is a vague option but is limited by location and ability to be in line of sight of transmission tower .......... Ah well maybe I can get 31kbs today.....................................
When in the UK we had a 10 mb internet connection, but here in the wilderness of Ontario we only manage around 2 mb.

We approached several internet providers out here and all told us it would not be possible to get internet connection at all. We happened to be driving past a house in a neighboring road and noticed that he had satellite internet on a pole in his garden. We went into the office of the company who fitted it and they still told us we would not get it.

However, after lots of persuasion the guy agreed to come out to the property to see what signal we could get. We explained we were on a hill (of sorts) and from the roof of the house could probably have line of site to the antenna. He looked at us as if we were mad, but eventually came out and had to agree we could probably get internet if we had a tower - apparently we were on a hill and could get line of site to the antenna !!!!!!!

He fitted a 40 foot tower behind our house and put the satellite thing on top and low and behold we got internet. He was so amazed he was going to go home a fit it to his house (he lived a couple of roads away).

We really had to insists they come out to us, otherwise we would never have been able to get it. Since it was fitted they have upgraded the system a couple of times which has improved the speed, but as we are quite far from the antenna we will never get super speeds.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
When in the UK we had a 10 mb internet connection, but here in the wilderness of Ontario we only manage around 2 mb.

We approached several internet providers out here and all told us it would not be possible to get internet connection at all. We happened to be driving past a house in a neighboring road and noticed that he had satellite internet on a pole in his garden. We went into the office of the company who fitted it and they still told us we would not get it.

However, after lots of persuasion the guy agreed to come out to the property to see what signal we could get. We explained we were on a hill (of sorts) and from the roof of the house could probably have line of site to the antenna. He looked at us as if we were mad, but eventually came out and had to agree we could probably get internet if we had a tower - apparently we were on a hill and could get line of site to the antenna !!!!!!!

He fitted a 40 foot tower behind our house and put the satellite thing on top and low and behold we got internet. He was so amazed he was going to go home a fit it to his house (he lived a couple of roads away).

We really had to insists they come out to us, otherwise we would never have been able to get it. Since it was fitted they have upgraded the system a couple of times which has improved the speed, but as we are quite far from the antenna we will never get super speeds.

Hi Canada Jane ............ Nice Blog you have there!......................

I am in the process of inquiry into getting a Microwave transmission setup and am awaiting the guy who will come and see if my location is suitable ......... what is ominous however is I know of no one who has this in my area .... but we shall see.

You say you had a 10mbps connection speed in the UK ...... I am assuming that this was via a cable infrastucture or perhaps a Fibre Optic one ...... what kind of cost was that to you?..................................
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:59 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Hi Canada Jane ............ Nice Blog you have there!......................

I am in the process of inquiry into getting a Microwave transmission setup and am awaiting the guy who will come and see if my location is suitable ......... what is ominous however is I know of no one who has this in my area .... but we shall see.

You say you had a 10mbps connection speed in the UK ...... I am assuming that this was via a cable infrastucture or perhaps a Fibre Optic one ...... what kind of cost was that to you?..................................
In the UK it was via cable (NTL) and we paid £34 per month for it. Over here we get around 2 mb and pay $49 per month, but it is our only option at the moment. We also had to pay $400 for the tower to be put up, but we do own that, so could take it with us if we moved and perhaps use it as a bird watching tower or decorate it at Christmas!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
In the UK it was via cable (NTL) and we paid £34 per month for it. Over here we get around 2 mb and pay $49 per month, but it is our only option at the moment. We also had to pay $400 for the tower to be put up, but we do own that, so could take it with us if we moved and perhaps use it as a bird watching tower or decorate it at Christmas!

Thats a hefty price just for the abilty to receive their signal ......... but as you say it is yours and you can remove it when and if you move ......... or maybe turn it into a replica of the CN Tower My youngest Daughter lives near Lindsay, Ontario and I have attached a JPeg of what one of her neigbhours had to do to receive a Microwave signal..............Can you imagine what happens to the signal when the wind really blows..................
Attached Thumbnails Internet Connection-microwave-antenna-52-feet-high-01-.jpg  
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:06 pm
Banned

Thats a hefty price just for the abilty to receive their signal ......... but as you say it is yours and you can remove it when and if you move ......... or maybe turn it into a replica of the CN Tower My youngest Daughter lives near Lindsay, Ontario and I have attached a JPeg of what one of her neigbhours had to do to receive a Microwave signal..............Can you imagine what happens to the signal when the wind really blows..................

Most people use that sort of tower and antenna to receive a whole lot of channels, some in HD for free. Check the link below

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24755
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
We rent by mail, the effort involved in walking to the end of the driveway to put out a film for the postman and carry the next one in seems trivial compared with downloading the film, burning the dvd, and carrying it to the television and we don't have to buy any media.

You can rent most TV shows but, if it's on TV, you can watch it for free with none of this bother; simply note the time of the show and turn the television on at that time.

Who says you have to burn the movies and songs? Have you heard of a media centre that you can use to beam movies, mp3s and pictures to your tv downstairs from the computer room wirelessly?

HTPC is another route
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Most people use that sort of tower and antenna to receive a whole lot of channels, some in HD for free. Check the link below

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24755

Great Link ............... One could really get carried away with that older technology although I do believe it is this technology which will springboard reception of the new HD tv signals .......... now all I have to do now is find myself a 150 foot tree.............................................. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.