Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

International texting help!

International texting help!

Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

enbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International texting help!

I'm currently living in Toronto and my parents are visiting, I need a bit of help figuring out the correct country code to use though. I could text their UK numbers fine when they're in the UK but now they're in Canada my texts don't arrive.

Do I need to add the international code for Canada in front of their UK number now?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International texting help!

Does their plan include international roaming I wonder? That might explain.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enbee
I'm currently living in Toronto and my parents are visiting, I need a bit of help figuring out the correct country code to use though. I could text their UK numbers fine when they're in the UK but now they're in Canada my texts don't arrive.

Do I need to add the international code for Canada in front of their UK number now?
Cannot help but ask, if they are with you why not just talk to them instead of texting? Must be a bundle of laughs around the dinner table.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

They've texted me to say they have arrived, I haven't actually seen them yet.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enbee
They've texted me to say they have arrived, I haven't actually seen them yet.
I guess the international roaming is working then...

did you try sending the text in email form? [email protected]

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/email-to-sms/

Or just calling the number (011 44+ etc)
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

davesol is an unknown quantity at this point

you are probably dialing 00144 then the number as you would from england whereas from canada you need to dial 01144...

or just dial +44... from either country
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

+44 seems to be working now, thanks for the replies.