Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insurance - UK No Claims Recognised?

Insurance - UK No Claims Recognised?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:12 pm

GillCol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance - UK No Claims Recognised?

Hello. Am in the process of buying a car and need insurance. Can anyone tell me if a letter from your previous insurer in the UK has any bearing on the premium quoted? I was told from the agent at AMA (Calgary) that there was a law passed in 2004 that doesn't recognise any previous insurance other than in North America. If anyone can share their knowledge it would be much appreciated, also any companies they can recommend. Thank you.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance - UK No Claims Recognised?

I had a similar letter from my long term UK insurers when I moved here a few years ago. I was 58 then with a full no claims. In short, it did not matter a jot to any of the insurers I approached. They were only interested in Canadian driving experience....all else seemed irrelevant. Their may be an insurer out there who will take your UK record into account but I was unable to find one.

Bite the bullet I think...cars/fuel may be cheaper than the UK but insurance costs (in general terms) soon wipe out the savings unless you do lots of miles per annum.

Best of luck
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My local insurance broker was able to leverage three years driving recognition from my UK insurance driving record. Better than a poke in the eye.

Might be worth phoning around, some brokers are more sensitive to the idea that flexibility on there behalf might lead to long term business with a new client.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

We made sure we had letters from our UK insurers before we left the UK (we asked for them when we cancelled the policies), and they made a huge difference to our insurance here. We found a great broker who accepted the letters and equated it to several years no claims here. (Worth ringing around though, as some of the brokers would not accept them).
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillCol
Hello. Am in the process of buying a car and need insurance. Can anyone tell me if a letter from your previous insurer in the UK has any bearing on the premium quoted? I was told from the agent at AMA (Calgary) that there was a law passed in 2004 that doesn't recognise any previous insurance other than in North America. If anyone can share their knowledge it would be much appreciated, also any companies they can recommend. Thank you.
A couple of weeks or so ago, I asked my broker if he could help someone coming from the UK with car insurance who will be living in Edmonton (Broker is based in Calgary); he said "No problem, I can serve all of Alberta. By the way, tell them to bring a letter from their insurance company in the UK (NOT agent/broker) so I can get full recognistion of their no-claims!"
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:04 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

try Meloche Monnex they quoted me $600 fully comp compaired with eveyone else that quoted me $3000 for third party. House insurance was cheap too (until I installed a wood burning stove, oh well at least the gas bill is $50 cheaper a month!)
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:10 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

We had letters going back about 8 years - our insurer only wanted to see the previous 3 years and gave us the insurance at a good price!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

I landed in 2005, I am in BC.
My insurance company recognised my no claims bonus , I do recall though, they were really particular about the format, you had to provide it the way they asked, Direct Line were great about it back home, so no problems.
It gave me a great saving, so definetly worth doing.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

denmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
My local insurance broker was able to leverage three years driving recognition from my UK insurance driving record. Better than a poke in the eye.

Might be worth phoning around, some brokers are more sensitive to the idea that flexibility on there behalf might lead to long term business with a new client.
Same here I had to get my driving record though from swansea .
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:04 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Our insurance company gave us full no claims based on a letter from our insurance company. I don't know whether they are nationwide but they are Co-operators. They also do a good deal on a house insurance (if you have everything from the same place, you get discounts for each insurance).
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

ICBC accepted letters of proof of NCB from our UK insurers and we were granted full no claims discount in BC. The format and wording of the letters is VERY important - it took us numerous conversations with UK insurers to stop them from just churning out standard responses, which ICBC wouldn't accept.

Most importantly specific dates indicating the commencement and the end date of the insurance must be gained in writing. It's no good just having a letter that states 'Mr X was entitled to 4yrs NCB whilst insured with Company Y'