Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Insufferable Canada

Insufferable Canada

Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:59 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insufferable Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
Like Bogart, I was misinformed.
Like John Gibson, you still are.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

Relax, It's only a commercial.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:10 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
Relax, It's only a commercial.
Who on earth takes any notice of advertisements anyway? Commercial breaks are designed for washroom visits and putting the kettle on. What do you think the fast forward button on a video machine is for - so you dont have to suffer the funny sense of humour of some of these advertising people - where do they get their inspiration from - what goes on in their minds?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
It's only another silly commercial - and nothing more. It says nothing about the "Canadian psyche" (as if there were such a thing). The only thing telling here is your interpretation of a commericial, and it says something about you. Much like a Rorschach Test (ink-blot test) used in psychology.

The way the law works in this country is that one is presumed innocent until proven guilty of a crime. Furthermore, Wayne Gretzky hasn't even been accused of committing any crime.

Actually, what you are doing is called "projecting" in psychology.

To project: "Psychology. To externalize and attribute (an emotion, for example) to someone or something else."

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

In other words, it's you who is showing "a streak of self-righteousness a mile wide" with your comments as you point the finger at Canadians.

The headline in this morning's paper refers to Mr and Mrs Gretzky as "The Great Ones". That made me project alright.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

The headline in this morning's paper refers to Mr and Mrs Gretzky as "The Great Ones". That made me project alright.
Well you do have options........!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Well you do have options........!
Believe me, if I had control we would not subscribe to the Star.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was free.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Horton's has a new ad featuring an Asian grandfather, it's set in a hockey rink and suggests assimilation through coffee. I find it absurdly patronising. It lacks donuts, we don't see successive generations expanding, but it milks every stereotype; kindly white man offers coffee to timid immigrant, immigrant's child adopts local religion, third generation child is a hockey star. Apparently uncaring and inscrutable oriental father learns Canadian values and reveals secret bond with child and grandchild. All celebrate with coffee from a US based multinational corporation.

I'd barely pushed finished puking when CBC moved on to the betting story:

Wayne Greztky, a Canadian icon, like that guy who couldn't hobble across the country on one leg, gambles a bit but the CBC wriggles and squirms to avoid saying so.

Am I the only one who finds a streak of self-righteousness a mile wide in the Canadian psyche ?
Ok problem on several fronts here.

It appears your assuming chinese therefore recent immigrant whereas his family could have been here over 172 years, History

If you know about Tim hortons then you would know they have a huge sponorship in hockey and the mini age, as for being American owned, People don't care.

Finally out of all the Aborignal facial features why do you think their chinese could be Inuit and I think they have been around a few years longer than most.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:19 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

If you have no control, may I suggest you start wearing Depends - they work better than newspaper which tends to leak.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 12th 2006 at 3:56 am.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:47 am
mañana is my busiest day

Don't you get it yet? The Tim Horton's commercials, The Toronto Star newspaper headlines .... it's all part of a conspiracy by US and Canadian corporations to drive you insane. Soon you'll be hearing voices in your head. You're a little like Professor Nash in "A Beautiful Mind".

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 12th 2006 at 4:07 am.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:21 am
Just Joined

CANUK has a spectacular aura aboutCANUK has a spectacular aura aboutCANUK has a spectacular aura about

I have read the first few replys on this discussion and find myself asking why so many people want to move to Canada but feel that is Ok to slag it off at every turn. If you think it is so horrible maybe you should rethink a move or even before the move stay where you are .
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:50 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANUK
I have read the first few replys on this discussion and find myself asking why so many people want to move to Canada but feel that is Ok to slag it off at every turn. If you think it is so horrible maybe you should rethink a move or even before the move stay where you are .
I find myself asking why so many cradle Canadians (as in non British/other nationality of origin British people) post on this site. Those of us who are actually British expats and are actually living in Canada as expats are entitled to an opinion. Of course you won't agree or maybe even understand why there are frustrations or aspects which we might find particularly irksome. Why would you? You are not British Expats
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dingbat
I find myself asking why so many cradle Canadians (as in non British/other nationality of origin British people) post on this site. Those of us who are actually British expats and are actually living in Canada as expats are entitled to an opinion. Of course you won't agree or maybe even understand why there are frustrations or aspects which we might find particularly irksome. Why would you? You are not British Expats
Because It's good to see views from all sides. I find Its interesting to read other boards of Canadians living in the UK, you see the UK in a different light then.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANUK
It seems that some people do not realize that they simply don't have the right personality to accept change and everything that goes with it.

The tone of some posters demonstrates that it's no wonder things don't work out.

Last edited by flashman; Feb 12th 2006 at 10:42 am.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:14 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dingbat
This forum is about Canada's "lifestyle & culture". What's wrong with those with the greatest knowledge about the subject (i.e. "cradle Canadians") posting to this board? The interests of potential immigrants surely are not served by having this discussion board monopolized by "whinging Pommes" - as the Australians call them. This is not to say that many British ex-pats posting here don't have a good understanding of the subject matter. Some however, clearly don't.

I have found that much of the negativity expressed on this forum says more about the attitude/personality of the individual posting, and the situation they put themselves in, than anything fundamental about Canada. In other words, many comments merely reflect a narrow personal and short term perspective of Canada rather than a broader and long term understanding of the country. Perhaps "cradle Canadians" are needed to restore the balance by placing more emphasis on the latter.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 12th 2006 at 1:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.