Innoculations

Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:25 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Innoculations

We are due to land in a few weeks time and I am sure that someone said that all new minor immigrants have to have TB jabs to be enrolled in Ontario schools. Is this the case because in the UK this can now only be done privately or on the NHS if at risk (n/a). Does anyone know what is the inncubation period if I get my children innoculated - can they start school within a couple of weeks of having the jab? This didn't even cross my mind - my childrens compulsary jabs (MMR/HIB etc) are all up to date and we are flying in from the UK. Is this neccessary?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

offwego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Innoculations

Originally Posted by sam/stu
We are due to land in a few weeks time and I am sure that someone said that all new minor immigrants have to have TB jabs to be enrolled in Ontario schools. Is this the case because in the UK this can now only be done privately or on the NHS if at risk (n/a). Does anyone know what is the inncubation period if I get my children innoculated - can they start school within a couple of weeks of having the jab? This didn't even cross my mind - my childrens compulsary jabs (MMR/HIB etc) are all up to date and we are flying in from the UK. Is this neccessary?
I have the form infront of me which we have received from the CHC in London. It came with our Visa approval forms. Headed -Immunization Record - Applicants under 16 years of age.
I quote 'In Canada it is a provincial requirement that all children attending school be appropriately immunized before school enty. In order to assist in the school entry and assist in the health of immigrant children, it is strongly recommended that a record of immunization received prior to immigration to Canada be created and certified before leaving Canada. This form will be issued with the immgrant visas. It is the applicants responsibility to have the form completed and certified by a qualified health professional before departing for Canada'.
'Please enter date of administration in appropriate area (where an immunization has not been administered, please mark 'N.A'

Sorry if you have this form and I am quoting unecessarily but if you go to your doctor and get him to fill it in I'm sure it will be ok. Just mark N.A in the boxes that your child hasn't had. If you need a copy of this form let me know but you should of got one when you received your passports back from the CHC.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:00 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

If you check on the immigration forum and read the thread regarding this, you are required to do no such thing. It is your legal right not to immunize your children and a TB jab is not required.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

There was something in the news the other day that a lo of children in Ontario schools aren't immunized. This wasn't what I saw ... but is similiar: http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...ont060306.html

Nick
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
If you check on the immigration forum and read the thread regarding this, you are required to do no such thing. It is your legal right not to immunize your children and a TB jab is not required.
What's more, if I remember rightly, (and it's many, many years ago), the TB vaccination may show up as a false positive on a TB test and raise a red flag with the medical profession here.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
No vaccinations are compulsory in Canada *but* the wording you'll come across makes it appear that way, on purpose I'm sure, to keep the uptake rates high. See the thread Dingbat mentions here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358229

Schools will say "we need a record of immunization or you cannot enroll the child" - but what they don't mention is that a "record of immunization" also means a letter/sworn statement from you saying "we have not vaccinated our child because of medical/religious/other reasons". You can check exactly what would kind of "get out" would be required by locating the relevant provincial law if you don't want to vaccinate.

So it's definitely not right what you were told about TB - and TB vaccination isn't even on the Canadian schedule (see link in other thread), it's not routinely given here. My not quite 3yr old had it at our request in the UK and his Canadian paediatrician was surprised by that. If you *do* want BCG in the UK, it's freely available at your request - no charge. After 1yr old, they (my health board at least) insist on a heaf test first regardless of whether you say they've not had any contact with TB, but waiting for the heaf test results only adds a week to the process so it's not a big deal, just an extra stress for the child which can be avoided if you do it under 1yr old.