Reload this Page >

Information on Truro, Nova Scotia

Information on Truro, Nova Scotia

Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

uktonovascotia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on Truro, Nova Scotia

Hi,

We plan on making our first recce trip in June. We plan on seeing as much of Nova Scotia as possible but so far really like the look of Truro. I’d love to here from anyone who is living there, planning to move, or has lived there in the past.

My husband and I have 3 children (ages 6, 4 & 19 months). So far the research that I have done suggests that Truro is quite a family orientated area but I’d really value the opinions of those of you that have already settled there. How are the schools, what activities are there for children etc…. I’m hoping to find work in childcare and plan on doing a college course if we are successful in obtaining PR.

Looking forward to your responses.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on Truro, Nova Scotia

That's the sort of area we are looking at and then up to Pictou.
There are several people on here who live around there so hopefully you'll get some replies...
Best of luck with everything
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:31 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

We live 20 mins south of Truro, have you applied for PR yet? what route are you looking to use to obtain your visa?

There are plenty of activities and leisure things to do in and around Truro, you are an hours drive from Halifax. My experience so far of the schools in this region has been very positive. The school board website covering this area is here

http://www.ccrsb.ednet.ns.ca/

If there is anything more specific you would like to know then let us know
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:37 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of expats live in or around Truro and seem to enjoy the area but, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of the place given that it's like some really huge god-like creature chewed up industrial, commercial and residential then spat it all out randomly then pasted a highway through it.

It does have some attractions though; the park, Murphys, the highways leading out to far more attractive places and there are some employment opportunities. Oh, there's the tidal bore and one or two annual attractions (including the corn maze) which make it a great place to visit.

Last edited by Greenhill; Jan 25th 2010 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
We live 20 mins south of Truro, have you applied for PR yet? what route are you looking to use to obtain your visa?

There are plenty of activities and leisure things to do in and around Truro, you are an hours drive from Halifax. My experience so far of the schools in this region has been very positive. The school board website covering this area is here

http://www.ccrsb.ednet.ns.ca/

If there is anything more specific you would like to know then let us know
Thanks for your responses everyone. We are hoping to get in via the NS CI Stream. I just hope we are able to make enough contacts during our recce in June. I’m getting really excited about visiting now.

Ps, Nikki, thanks for the link to the school board. I’ll have a read through it later.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:31 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Lots of expats live in or around Truro and seem to enjoy the area but, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of the place given that it's like some really huge godlike-create chewed up industrial, commercial and residential then spat it all out randomly then pasted a highway through it.

For a moment I thought you were describing New Glasgow !!

It does have some attractions though; the park, Murphys, the highways leading out to far more attractive places and there are some employment opportunities. Oh, there's the tidal bore and one or two annual attractions (including the corn maze) which make it a great place to visit.

It's quite a nice little town actually. You still can't get mushy peas at Murphy's though despite my bitching about it for years.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:37 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, you need to look beyond the outskirts when you are driving in as it it quite industrial, the town itself though has quite a bit of character in my opinion, particularly the older houses and the status made from the elm trees adds to its quaintness, I will add it took a while to grow on me.

Victoria Park is a gem right in the middle of town

http://www.truro.ca/victoria-park.html
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I agree, you need to look beyond the outskirts when you are driving in as it it quite industrial, the town itself though has quite a bit of character in my opinion, particularly the older houses and the status made from the elm trees adds to its quaintness, I will add it took a while to grow on me.

Victoria Park is a gem right in the middle of town

http://www.truro.ca/victoria-park.html
It sounds like a great place. One of my main concerns is being able to find work there. Like I said my long-term goal is to work in childcare but my husband is an office worker. How many of you that live in the area also work there, or do you face long commutes for work each day?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by uktonovascotia
It sounds like a great place. One of my main concerns is being able to find work there. Like I said my long-term goal is to work in childcare but my husband is an office worker. How many of you that live in the area also work there, or do you face long commutes for work each day?
I work in Dartmouth, 40 mins drive for me each day to work, this is fine for me, plenty of people do commute from Truro into the city each day. Depending on jobs there could be plenty of opportunities in the Truro area

Here is a good website for NS jobs

www.careerbeacon.com
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:58 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We plan on making our first recce trip in June. We plan on seeing as much of Nova Scotia as possible but so far really like the look of Truro. I’d love to here from anyone who is living there, planning to move, or has lived there in the past.

My husband and I have 3 children (ages 6, 4 & 19 months). So far the research that I have done suggests that Truro is quite a family orientated area but I’d really value the opinions of those of you that have already settled there. How are the schools, what activities are there for children etc…. I’m hoping to find work in childcare and plan on doing a college course if we are successful in obtaining PR.

Hi,we are on our recce in June also, when are you there? we are there for two weeks from the 10th. Cant wait!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi,we are on our recce in June also, when are you there? we are there for two weeks from the 10th. Cant wait!
Thanks for the link on jobs in NS Nikki , I will take a look through as soon as I get a few minutes.

Howefamily , we are aiming to arrive towards the end of June once the kids have finished school for the summer (were currently in Virginia USA so will be driving up to NS & will do a mini road trip).

Thank you for all the responses , I really appreciate it
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:49 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link on jobs in NS Nikki , I will take a look through as soon as I get a few minutes.

Howefamily , we are aiming to arrive towards the end of June once the kids have finished school for the summer (were currently in Virginia USA so will be driving up to NS & will do a mini road trip).

Thank you for all the responses , I really appreciate it
we will prob miss each other then. Enjoy the road trip, that sounds like good fun in itself.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:00 am
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Hi,

HI

we have been living in Truro for over a year now. In the center of town nearly, on a really nice street, in a lovely big old wooden house with high ceilings and loads of character(something we could never have had in Uk). what you think of Truro depends on what you want for yourself. We would never live on a street that was industrial if we could help it. We live within walking distance of everything but our street is still nice and quiet, compared to Uk.
There are plenty of lovely areas in the town, and the opposite too. That's why you have to come here before you make your final decision.

Let me know when you are coming out here and we can meet up, good luck
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishsamx
HI

we have been living in Truro for over a year now. In the center of town nearly, on a really nice street, in a lovely big old wooden house with high ceilings and loads of character(something we could never have had in Uk). what you think of Truro depends on what you want for yourself. We would never live on a street that was industrial if we could help it. We live within walking distance of everything but our street is still nice and quiet, compared to Uk.
There are plenty of lovely areas in the town, and the opposite too. That's why you have to come here before you make your final decision.

Let me know when you are coming out here and we can meet up, good luck
HI
will watch this thread with interest as i just got an offer of employment in Truro whoop de whoop!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:36 pm
:)

megan_x is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Truro my whole life with no problems. It's only an hour away from Halifax. And Victoria Park is awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.