Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Information about areas around Toronto (30Km radius)

Information about areas around Toronto (30Km radius)

Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Question Information about areas around Toronto (30Km radius)

Hi!

My wife and I are looking for a possible move to Ontario. She is a Canadian citizen (so does our 10 year old as far as I know). My wife has been away from Canada for about 25 years. She was a teenager when her parents moved out of CA.

Anyway...I'm doing some research about everything really and wondering if there is a detailed online website with info about areas where we could start with...

Thank you for any help!

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information about areas around Toronto (30Km radius)

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hi!

My wife and I are looking for a possible move to Ontario. She is a Canadian citizen (so does our 10 year old as far as I know). My wife has been away from Canada for about 25 years. She was a teenager when her parents moved out of CA.

Anyway...I'm doing some research about everything really and wondering if there is a detailed online website with info about areas where we could settle.

Thank you for any help!

Cheers
30 kilometres is less than 20 miles. 20 miles from, say the St Lawrence Market, is the suburban wasteland. Is what you're looking for a grey plastic house with the front elevation consisting of garage door?

Probably not, I suppose, but do what sort of place are you looking for and do you have to commute to Toronto?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
30 kilometres is less than 20 miles. 20 miles from, say the St Lawrence Market, is the suburban wasteland. Is what you're looking for a grey plastic house with the front elevation consisting of garage door?

Probably not, I suppose, but do what sort of place are you looking for and do you have to commute to Toronto?

Good point. So...at this point, I am totally newby here...I haven't even checked the transport system there. What will probably happen is the below. I have already done all this when we had moved to Brisbane and it all worked out fine.

1. We'll land with a few luggage and stay somewhere for a short rent (hopefully not more that 2/3 weeks) until we find a place for long rent (anything decent not super expensive will do for starters)

2. Will surely buy a car immediately as one wont function much without one.

3. Being a software engineer, I'll probably find a job in the city, but you never know. I'm a motorcycle rider too, but I think they are unusable there for many months

4. Wife is a counsellor, so God knows here she'll find a job.

So basically, I'm looking for decent/safe places for a small family, good schools, with some open space (parks and stuff) and amenities and not super far away from Toronto (would say an average of 45 mins train). I'm also interested about ethnic information linked to areas.

Honestly, I have no idea yet how everything works there, just starting researching so apologies for saying anything silly.

Yes, of course we will be doing a couple of trips there before the move

Thanks!

Last edited by B1K3R; Sep 26th 2016 at 1:15 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

3. Being a software engineer
Java?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Java?
Actually, C#
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Actually, C#
Oh. Well, I'm sure there's a market for that too.

Oakville is the usual suggestion for people wanting to commute. It's ethnically British.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oakville is the usual suggestion for people wanting to commute. It's ethnically British.

Yeah, there are quite a few so no worries there. Hmm, I came across Oakville, seems like a nice place..

Thanks!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:50 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I like garage door housing, but I like (when I am well enough) hanging out in my garage playing with RC planes cars and boats
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

We love modern looking houses, large glass windows and lots of greenery, open space etc. Not sure how much one needs to move out for such things....
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

That's changing
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
That's changing

We don't mind cultural diversity as long as there is peace, quite and mutual respect
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't mentioned a budget. It would help if you could.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
That's changing
No doubt and "British" covers a multitude of sins. Even Tunbridge Wells, the Oakville of the South, has some diversity. But Oakville's not Indian, like Brampton and it's not Chinese, like Markham.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

We don't mind cultural diversity as long as there is peace, quite and mutual respect
Totally agree. Cultural diversity is one of the benefits of living in the GTA, and we were a little disappointed when we moved to Oakville that there didn't seem to be much in the area we lived. However that has, and is continuing to change.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

No doubt and "British" covers a multitude of sins. Even Tunbridge Wells, the Oakville of the South, has some diversity. But Oakville's not Indian, like Brampton and it's not Chinese, like Markham.
The new parts of Oakville has attracted buyers from India and Pakistan and the old parts, predominately SE Oakville is currently a huge draw for the Chinese market. I have my house for sale at the moment and of the 25 agents that have taken their clients through the house, 22 have been Chinese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.