Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Informal Chats" with Employers

"Informal Chats" with Employers

Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:41 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default "Informal Chats" with Employers

I was just wondering, for those of you that met on an informal basis with potential employers/did the rounds with CVs to hand, what did you wear? It may sound like a really silly question but since it technically isn't an interview, did you go in work attire or casual or somewhere in between? Thanks for any replies!
x
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:53 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Informal Chats" with Employers

Originally Posted by engineer80
I was just wondering, for those of you that met on an informal basis with potential employers/did the rounds with CVs to hand, what did you wear? It may sound like a really silly question but since it technically isn't an interview, did you go in work attire or casual or somewhere in between? Thanks for any replies!
x
They don't really wear suits here in Canada, formal seems to be chinos and a polo tee.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:57 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
They don't really wear suits here in Canada, formal seems to be chinos and a polo tee.
Ok, so some linens with a smart casual top may be good....thanks! Good thing I asked or I could have looked like a right muppet in a suit!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Partly true...and I would still recommend wearing a suit if it's an office-based job you're seeking.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe so, but if you're going for an interview or want to make a good impression, you should wear a suit (for most jobs)...
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:08 pm
Done!

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Partly true...and I would still recommend wearing a suit if it's an office-based job you're seeking.
Yes the job would be office based....
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:01 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I set up some information interviews while on our research visit and I turned up in smart casual (smart trousers, cotton shirt without tie and clean shoes). One of them hired me 2 years later when we landed (ah the old days of applying and waiting 2-3 years for processing). I was an IT Project manager
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

capillano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by engineer80
Yes the job would be office based....
I would recommend wearing a suit including a tie. No one will hold it against you. First impressions count.

Good luck with the interview!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

mmm that is "smart casual" and a possibly unwise generalisation.

Hubby wore a suit for his "informal interview" and also for his formal one when we landed some 2 years later. He got the job, and now wears a suit at work.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

I phoned a company up from the uk and when we visited , the whole family went to meet the employer. It was great he gave the kids tshirts and caps. And done coloring with them
Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
mmm that is "smart casual" and a possibly unwise generalisation.

Hubby wore a suit for his "informal interview" and also for his formal one when we landed some 2 years later. He got the job, and now wears a suit at work.
I agree
Old Mar 12th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

No one is going to dock you marks for being too formal, but they will if you show up too informal. You can always take your jacket and tie off if needs be.

Also, at my office everyone wears a jacket and tie. It's definately not business casual - except for Stampede week!
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

A good rule of thumb is one step up from what the general employees generally wear (granted....handy if you know...not much use if you dont).
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:26 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
No one is going to dock you marks for being too formal, but they will if you show up too informal. You can always take your jacket and tie off if needs be.

Also, at my office everyone wears a jacket and tie. It's definately not business casual - except for Stampede week!
Jacket and tie? blimey - i thought those days were over.

For an informal chat - I'd wear business casual simply because that's several steps up on what I'd normally wear in the office (hoodies, trainers, jeans etc). I wouldn't wear a suit if it was really just an informal meet up but I would to an interview. Maybe I wouldn't get that far for being a scruffy bugger - but there you go.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:26 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Not strictly true, sometimes part of the "test" is to see if you turn up in casual clothes - I once went to a graduate event where they'd specified NOT to turn up in a suit but smart casual. My uncle gave me advice to ignore this and turn up in a suit..... So I did and everyone else was in smart casual, I got rejected for "not fitting in"

Admittedly, this is probably more for graduate type nonsense than a straight interview at a fully qualified level, but moral of the story is use your best judgment and go with it (I didn't).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.