Reload this Page >

Info on Ottawa

Info on Ottawa

Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

mclaren family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on Ottawa

Hi

The hubby has been offered a job with a company in Ottawa.

It's not one of our main choices but, we've looked into it and it all seems just as nice as the rest of Canada. Also the added benefit of being very warm in the summer.

What I'd like to know is seeing as I am trained as an administrator - is it a requirement to be bilingual in office work, or could you get away with just English, I am very basic on my French.

The other thing is drivers licences - can't find info on whether it's a straight swap over from a British one or you need to sit a new test

Also anyone living there or close by what do you think of the area and what are the best towns within an easy commute to look at for house hunting

Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Default Re: Info on Ottawa

Originally Posted by mclaren family
Hi

It's not one of our main choices but, we've looked into it and it all seems just as nice as the rest of Canada. Also the added benefit of being very warm in the summer.

What I'd like to know is seeing as I am trained as an administrator - is it a requirement to be bilingual in office work, or could you get away with just English, I am very basic on my French.

The other thing is drivers licences - can't find info on whether it's a straight swap over from a British one or you need to sit a new test

Also anyone living there or close by what do you think of the area and what are the best towns within an easy commute to look at for house hunting

Thanks
My understanding is that you may want to brush up your French. Ottowa is a very bilingual city, and if you want a job in Federal Government then having French is a must.

Think of it as an opportunity to add another string to your bow!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:43 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Ottawa is in Ontario which mean, as long as you've held a full license for over 2 years they will exchange your driving license. Anything else though like motorcycle or truck will need to be retested. As for the bilingual, no you won't need it, but it's a big asset.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheadboy
Ottawa is in Ontario which mean, as long as you've held a full license for over 2 years they will exchange your driving license. Anything else though like motorcycle or truck will need to be retested. As for the bilingual, no you won't need it, but it's a big asset.
yeah, had my driver's licence 3 years this month - so glad I don't need to resit a test.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:11 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
Hi

You seem to be new here, so I'm guessing that you haven't yet been through the wiki section (link at top of screen). Much of what you ask is covered in there.

UK licences can simply be swapped; there is no longer any need to take a test.

Do not even dream of getting an admin job in government unless you are a Canadian citizen. It won't happen, not around here anyway.

The need for French varies, even within government. I'm sure there are many unilingual jobs available in the private sector. Adverts will always state what language profile is required. You might want to have a look at some job websites, like monster.ca, to get an idea of what's around and what is looked for.

"Easy commute" rather depends on where the job is located. Ottawa is quite spread out. I can't offer much advice on Ottawa burbs, because I live on the other side of the barbed wire, but there are several other posters in the area that will be able to advise you (when they get out of bed).

It does get warm here in summer. It also gets very humid, almost tropical. Bear in mind, though, that winter is harsh. We gets lots of snow and it is cold. The forecast for today is 11 degrees. Apart from one freak day in December, that's the highest number in five months.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

yes i'm new, but you guessed wrong I've read the wiki on several occasions and I did do a search on driving licences just didn't find anything, hence the reason I asked.

Thanks for the heads up but personally working for anything to do with the Government just ain't me, I work in education (university) and this would possibly be my first route to look at, not planning to work for a while after landing as the hubbies wage is double what he earns here. So once my little boy (Currently 1) goes to school, I will start looking. This also gives me time to brush up on my french

As for the cold and the snow, I have 5 siberian huskies and I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire sledding around the country side

The job is based in North Gower if that helps anyone with suburbs
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:03 pm

yes i'm new, but you guessed wrong I've read the wiki on several occasions and I did do a search on driving licences just didn't find anything, hence the reason I asked.

Thanks for the heads up but personally working for anything to do with the Government just ain't me, I work in education (university) and this would possibly be my first route to look at, not planning to work for a while after landing as the hubbies wage is double what he earns here. So once my little boy (Currently 1) goes to school, I will start looking. This also gives me time to brush up on my french

As for the cold and the snow, I have 5 siberian huskies and I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire sledding around the country side

My apologies for doubting you regarding wiki but many newbies simply don't know it's there. I'm very surprised that it doesn't contain anything on driving licences.

You are wise to discount working in government. It's cut-throat.

There are several universities in Ottawa. As it happens, my neighbours (and dear friends) both work in admin at the University of Ottawa. Next time I see them, I'll make some enquiries regarding job prospects for immigrants, language requirements etc.

I can't really comment on North Gower. It's very handy for the 416 though.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

So once my little boy (Currently 1) goes to school, I will start looking. This also gives me time to brush up on my french

North Gower has some housing (not much though...mainly on lots that are a minimum of 25 m x 50 m I believe). It is close and commutable to places like Kars, Manotick (that can be quite expensive), Osgoode, Richmond, Kemptville, Burritts Rapids. There are some lovely properties with lots of land on either side of the Rideau River between the 416 and Burrits Rapids.

If you have 5 large dogs and want to bring them with you, a propert in a rural or semi-rural setting will be crucial.

Have you gone to mls.ca to look at properties.

The schools in all of these areas are quite good. However, the amount of french you will hear from your neighbours and in shops etc in these places will be next to none.

See some of the folks on this side of the riviere Outaouais are already awake.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ten years ago when I was thinking of relocating to Ottawa as hubby is Canadian and lived there, the agencies said I would have no problems with obtaining administrative work without knowing French. As a legal secretary I would not able to find a position as French is really a requirement.

DH's condo was located in Gloucester just outside of the city and there was public transportation, bus, to the city proper. Winters are cold and lots of snow and I lived through the ice storm of 1998 and came back for more on Valentine's Day that year. Summers are very hot and the weather can be unbearable at times. Was there in July one year during a particularly bad storm, with hail, lightening and thunder to shake the house and DH said this was norm for the area.

Gatineau is lovely and have spent some time there as DH's niece and hubby lived there. Beautiful country in the mountains.

Personally, I loved Ottawa and was sorry that DH opted to move to the US instead of me moving to Canada ;-(
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
See some of the folks on this side of the riviere Outaouais are already awake.
Lazy squarehead slob. I've been at work since before 6am.

Last edited by Souvenir; Mar 17th 2009 at 2:57 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Adeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really nice

check Kanata, a really nice place to live but dont know if its classed as a suburb.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the info guys much appreciated
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Gatineau is lovely
Er, no it isn't. Gatineau is fugly. It is close to lovely bits but the city itself is hideous.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Er, no it isn't. Gatineau is fugly. It is close to lovely bits but the city itself is hideous.
I have to agree with you there....the actual urban areas of Gatineau are craptastically ugly. Is there actually an older neighbourhood that is being gentrified or are the neighbourhoods to the north of Place du Portage the standard bearers of Quebecois chic.

Once you get up towards Chelsea, Wakefield, Cantley, the homes look nicer and the countryside is quite nice and rolling.

Having said all of that, some of the older areas in Aylmer are quite pleasant especially near the marina.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Lazy squarehead slob. I've at work since before 6am.
You've been at work so long you forgot a word in your retort. How dare you call me a tete-carre

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...e%20carr%C3%A9

The definition of the tete carre on this webpage bears no resemblance to any heavy BE posters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.