Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Info needed for Canadian moving to UK/Manchester

Info needed for Canadian moving to UK/Manchester

Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info needed for Canadian moving to UK/Manchester

Get a real estate agent in Toronto then.they have access to all property in Toronto and won't charge you a penny unlike uk letting agents. People seem to think that realtors in Canada are only for buying but we used one to get our rental apartment and she was fantastic. They will be interested in your business as they get commission from it. They have a smaller pool of properties to pick from but there are no costs to you and I found it was good when we had no history in Canada and she could explain our situation to them.
Re Manchester I lived there for 3 years before moving to Toronto and while its not the most memorable of cities it certainly has some nice areas to live in.a good place to research potential places is www.upmystreet.com gives you the profile and make up of a post code.feel free to pm me for any info
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well I work in IT so I'm told that Toronto is the best place to find work really and I've already spoken to a few of the other guys on here about that I'm slightly more comfortable on that subject now but the rental market in TO seems like a real minefield compared with what I'm used to.

If I contact a letting agent or private landlord about a property in Manchester then 9/10 times they will come back to you within 24 hours and try to arrange a viewing. We emailed a few landlords on Craigslist and Kijiji about apartments for rent and not a single one of them even had a decency to reply.
Are you contacting them from Manchester? If so then I suspect that's part of the problem, insofar as you're not here to view any units so they probably think 'Why Bother'.
You might also have a look at the Classifieds in Toronto's major daily newspaper and I would suggest, if you can afford, that you look for a condominium rental as they tend to be better appointed/maintained.
http://www.thestar.com/classifieds
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Are you contacting them from Manchester? If so then I suspect that's part of the problem, insofar as you're not here to view any units so they probably think 'Why Bother'.
You might also have a look at the Classifieds in Toronto's major daily newspaper and I would suggest, if you can afford, that you look for a condominium rental as they tend to be better appointed/maintained.
http://www.thestar.com/classifieds
Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

I've actually signed up for a Canadian email address now as I thought that may be the problem but I will probably just wait until I get there now before I contact any more since we have some temp accomodation sorted out anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Sadly there many areas of the UK where it hasn't worked out as well. Many areas have been completely taken over by immigrants of a single culture. They have built their own micro-country that exists inside the UK but has little interaction with it. That's not multiculturalism - multiculturalism is the interaction of multiple cultures not the creation of an exclusive enclave for just one culture.
Originally Posted by crusheduk
For sure...try Preston. Blackburn Burnley you'd think you was in India/Pakistan:
I understand the sentiment of what you are saying, but it's not any different in my corner of Canada.

Here in Vancouver, they are always prattling on about multiculturalism, but it isn't, it's white & SE Asian in the main. It's interesting to see the percentage of S.Asians in major UK towns (although figures are getting out of date with census' due in UK & Canada this year):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Asian

Blackburn: 20.6%
Bradford: 24.3%
Preston: 11.6%
Slough: 27.9%
Manchester: 9.1%
Birmingham: 22%
Leicester: 29.9%

In Vancouver the percentage of SE Asians is 27.9%, with 47.1% being from visible miniorities. Essentially, Vancouver has proportions of SE Asians, similar to what Slough, Bradford, Leicester has of S.Asian people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Vancouver