Reload this Page >

indication of food prices

indication of food prices

Old May 18th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough
Default indication of food prices

quick question folks,
about to move to toronto but looking for an indication on what food costs, i know everyone has their own tastes but its for indication purposes.
food / groceries like cans of pepsi, bread, steaks, and the like.

thanks
Old May 18th 2010, 9:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: indication of food prices

I havent dont it for a while, but from time to time Ive posted images of grocery receipts...

Ill see what I can find...

Its a year old, but there is one here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597884

2litre Pepsi is usually $2.50, but can be had half price a lot of the time.
Flat of 24 cans maybe $5
Decent size T-bone, less than $10, or two half decent size sirloin for $7 is you shop around. Fancier grades a lot more!
Bread, depends, you wont find much for less than $1.50, Regular brand names (Dempsters etc) more like $2.25-$3.00.

Last edited by iaink; May 18th 2010 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I can't speak for Toronto, but here in Halifax NS, we seem to be spending a LOT on the family shop....it's quite a shock (soon to be 15%HST too)

The last lot was $215 which I think will probably last a couple of weeks.

Junk is cheap, fruit and veg are silly prices...I'm guessing it's because we live in a forest :-)

Food does tend to be better quality and last longer tho....and the sizes of stuff are bigger eg cans of pop are 355ml as apposed to 330ml

Having said all that, I'm loving it here :-)
Old May 18th 2010, 9:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaceace
I can't speak for Toronto, but here in Halifax NS, we seem to be spending a LOT on the family shop....it's quite a shock (soon to be 15%HST too)
No HST on groceries.

Pop, candy, certain baked goods, pre-made sandwiches yes but groceries no.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by madscots
quick question folks,
about to move to toronto but looking for an indication on what food costs, i know everyone has their own tastes but its for indication purposes.

thanks
hi you can go online and have a look at the flyers from supermarkets in toronto there is loblaws ,dominion ,nofrills pricechopper. canadians collect coupons to make their shopping cheaper.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No HST on groceries.

Pop, candy, certain baked goods, pre-made sandwiches yes but groceries no.
pet supplies, cleaning materials, laundry stuff, most packaged snack that goes in kids lunches are taxed (just checked my receipt today)... lol damnit - they taxed Kool-aid ! the buggers! ooo and my Choccy finger (bakery stuff) had GST but not PST

thought i would add to the list
Old May 18th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by reeni
pet supplies, cleaning materials, laundry stuff, most packaged snack that goes in kids lunches are taxed (just checked my receipt today)... lol damnit - they taxed Kool-aid ! the buggers! ooo and my Choccy finger (bakery stuff) had GST but not PST

thought i would add to the list
the more i look at my bill the more i wonder what pot the tax people are smoking. the Fruit Gushers (kids lunch snack) had GST and PST applied but not the Dunkerroos (also a kids lunch snack) maybe it has something to do with the level of healthy stuff in it?
The kids only get one "fun" snack a day in their lunch the rest is fruit and healthy stuff.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by reeni
the more i look at my bill the more i wonder what pot the tax people are smoking. the Fruit Gushers (kids lunch snack) had GST and PST applied but not the Dunkerroos (also a kids lunch snack) maybe it has something to do with the level of healthy stuff in it?
The kids only get one "fun" snack a day in their lunch the rest is fruit and healthy stuff.
Fruit Gushers likely considered candy hence tax, Dunkeroos likely considered cookies, no tax.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

oh and we get charged a 10% deposit on pop too...no idea how we get the deposit back lol
Old May 18th 2010, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace
oh and we get charged a 10% deposit on pop too...no idea how we get the deposit back lol
http://www.rrfb.com/pages/programs/beverageOverview.cfm

http://www.rrfb.com/directory/s_sear...?categoryid=14
Old May 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohhhhh, that explains why our blue bag disappears on garbage day before the truck comes.
Old May 19th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Again not sure about TO but i was amazed at how much Chicken costs here and Lamb is horrific and seems to be mostly frozen. Beer in cans is a rip off!!

On the plus side Steak is very cheap - Im a bit skint so having to just put up with Steak for Tea again
Old May 19th 2010, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Again not sure about TO but i was amazed at how much Chicken costs here and Lamb is horrific and seems to be mostly frozen. Beer in cans is a rip off!!

On the plus side Steak is very cheap - Im a bit skint so having to just put up with Steak for Tea again
Lamb is $6/lb here, if you buy the whole sheep (butchered to order, not just a carcass on the porch).
Old May 19th 2010, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Im just a poor Truck driver - I cant afford or manage a whole one
Old May 19th 2010, 12:31 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by madscots
quick question folks,

thanks
Hi, on the Maple Leaf section, I posted a list of prices from a shop I just did in Kamloops, BC, if that's any good to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.