BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Indian Take Away in Canada

found a good website with loads of recipes on

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

bottom right hand side they have loads of recipes
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
when we were in canada (ontario to be precise), we used to hang out in a place near Square 1 in mississauga, called Taste of India. this indian restaurant is newly set-up--i seem to remember that this used to be a greek restaurant before but one which did not do much business.
anyway, taste of india is very nicely decorated, the service is great, and the food is genuine north indian, so you can choose from the very hot, to mildly so for those who cannot stand too much chilli.
we used to make an effort to eat there at least twice a month. do try it.
another one we used to frequent was one in the indian area in downtown toronto, called Bombay something...food was excellent.
by the way, did you know that eating chillies is very good for the blood and also helps the body get rid of many toxins, as it causes you to perspire?
Perhaps the Bombay Palace. Bottom of Jarvis. Chain. Good but expensive:

http://bombaypalace.sites.toronto.com/

For north Indian I like the Barbecue Hut (it doesn't have an Indian name as the owner doesn't think white Canadians are ready for anything so obviously foreign). For south Indian the Madras Durbar ("like being at my Mum's" says our friend from Kerala, unenthusiastically). Both are on Gerrard just west of Coxwell.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough

folks,those interested in Indian food,all variety...and best site...

www.bawarchi.com
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

For anyone living in Edmonton area, I can recommend New Asian Village on 34th Ave and 97St.

For the 1st year of our time in Canada I explored many curry houses and was incredibly disappointed! In the end I vowed not to waste my money - just to go around to a Sri Lankan friends house.

Then New Asian Village opened I went one lunchtime with a friend from work, and was very impressed. They offer a buffet lunch for $9.99. It is excellent. Always a good selection of meat & veg curries, along with faves like tandoori chicken, popadams etc. Their Naan is nothing like Naan in Britain, but still acceptable. Typical dishes on any given luchtime are
Steamed rice, safron rice, unlimited naan & popadams
Veg Korma, alu gobi, alu capricum, kidney bean curry, mushroom curry, pakora curry
Butter chicken, lamb curry, chilli chicken, beef curry and tandoori chicken

Being a buffet, go fill up the plate as often as you like. Also included in the buffet is the salad car along with mango chutney, raita. Soup is available for a starter, although I've never tried it.

Desert is also included. Usually available is melon, watermelon, mango custard, rice pudding and an indian sweet of some kind (milk balls, jellabean things).

All in all it is a super deal for under a fiver!!! Quality is good, restaurant is clean, staff are superb. I tend to average 1 visit per week (2 per week if I'm doing well!). I will say that it is not the same as British curries, but it is the closest I have found taste-wise and is the only Indian I will take people to.

That said I'm still missing some of my faves....chicken pathia, murgh murchi masala...[someone pass a napkin - this chap is drooling everywhere!]
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Kabel will become famous soon enough

God, I really want a curry tonight now!

...I'm suppose to be on a bloody diet though.