Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian immigrants soon to outnumber Chinese

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Do I have to spell it out? Just go through the names from the very beginning. They are easy to spot. I will list them if you wish. I am not shy.
Well, I have nothing better to do, so go ahead. I never thought you were shy.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:22 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Purdy please.... can I be on the list? Then I can further my education with a degree in Wikipediaology. And, I'm high on paint fumes.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

from your link to wiki:

[I]Jared Diamond seems to have put the nail in the intellectual and scientific coffin for racism in his book, "Guns, Germs, and Steel." In one of the most profound works on racism, Diamond argues that Europe conquered the world not because of skin color but because of purely accidental reasons. He lays out the argument that Europe has an east-west axis suitable for the domestication of crops and for the domestication of animals.[/I

Oh dear. I read that book (and thought it was very important). But that spin is totally wrong. Diamond was not talking about 21st C social realities, but dealing with a much broader theme. A great book, but a lousy review on wiki. (note no references supplied).
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, I have nothing better to do, so go ahead. I never thought you were shy.
Well it was fairly easy to spot them: London 7 and Hudman.

If one, or both, of these individuals feels unfairly picked upon then I would ask that they justify their accusations. Personally I figure they owe Annette an apology.

Last edited by montreal mike; Oct 21st 2006 at 4:24 am.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray1968
Looks like Indian immigrants are going to be the no1 source of migrants to Canada very soon ..overtaking the Chinese. More Indian restaurants as well soon ???

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...national/Asia/
It doesn't matter really which group predominates although myself I would welcome an increase in Indian restaurants. In Montreal there are far too few. I love Indian and Chinese cuisine.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter really which group predominates although myself I would welcome an increase in Indian restaurants. In Montreal there are far too few. I love Indian and Chinese cuisine.
I don't know that an increase in the number of immigrants from India would mean an increase in the number of Indian restaurants; CIC favours cab drivers over cooks.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know that an increase in the number of immigrants from India would mean an increase in the number of Indian restaurants; CIC favours cab drivers over cooks.
You are probably right.

But what this country needs is more of the entrepreneurial class. In my experience several newcomers from China and the Indian subcontinent (including Sri Lanka) set up their own businesses. These would include restaurants.

It also depends on the prevailing local culture. For instance in Montreal I have noticed many Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants. In fact we have a thriving, yet tiny, Chinatown where I go eat once a week.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably right.

But what this country needs is more of the entrepreneurial class. In my experience several newcomers from China and the Indian subcontinent (including Sri Lanka) set up their own businesses. These would include restaurants.

It also depends on the prevailing local culture. For instance in Montreal I have noticed many Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants. In fact we have a thriving, yet tiny, Chinatown where I go eat once a week.

Why won't India ever win the World Cup?

It spoils the joke a bit but I think that, if there's a stereotypical trade for people from India, it's doctor. I don't think any of my family have ever seen a non-Indian doctor in Canada (perhaps excepting the current one, she's Muslim and so we guess she's more likely to be from Pakistan).
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why won't India ever win the World Cup?

It spoils the joke a bit but I think that, if there's a stereotypical trade for people from India, it's doctor. I don't think any of my family have ever seen a non-Indian doctor in Canada (perhaps excepting the current one, she's Muslim and so we guess she's more likely to be from Pakistan).

It seems to me that there is a 'cultural thing' at work here. I can't really explain it though.

In Montreal hospital many nurses tend to be from the Phillipines.

Those from the Indian subcontinent (4 countries actually) tend to be doctors, engineers, academics.

I suspect there would be more doctors from the subcontinent but provincial entry requirements are stringent. Some nonsense about meeting Canadian Standards?

Funnily enough I lived in India (just 200 miles north west of Calcutta in the mid to late fifties) and my family were taken care of by some excellent Indian doctors.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

If one, or both, of these individuals feels unfairly picked upon then I would ask that they justify their accusations. Personally I figure they owe Annette an apology.
Sorry Annette,
MM... You seem to like pigeonholing people, but based on the racial anonymity of BE you never know who you are talking to.
AM lives in a Town which is predominately white, her beef is with something else, probably pissed at still having to work. If she has to commute to Van on a regular basis ,I cant blame her. But thats another storey.
As usual people dont like look within for the answers, but have a dig at somebody else.
Thats my problem with bigots/ racists is I have always found underneath it all there personal inadequacies that need dealing with.
She did not back up any of her comments which I ( and others) perceived had bigoted undertones.
Maybe its a generation thing, I grew up in a world which was changing from finding racial,sexual....(fill in the gap) slurs acceptable.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hudman
Sorry Annette,
MM... You seem to like pigeonholing people, but based on the racial anonymity of BE you never know who you are talking to.

She did not back up any of her comments which I ( and others) perceived had bigoted undertones.
Maybe its a generation thing, I grew up in a world which was changing from finding racial,sexual....(fill in the gap) slurs acceptable.
Hudman .. I know nobody at this forum but I can assure you her comment was not racist. Now one may not like her point of view and may find it bigoted and, if so, that is fine by me. But I do know racism when I see it and that is why I posted the link to the definition.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

MM
if you read her original post, you will see the majority of people who replied were offended.
Apologise for what?for me personally she is the worse kind of racist, as she will not admit to it, but made disgusting comments as she did, with a vicious undertone.To me that = COWARD.
Yes, I feel devasated at being picked on by you, I am off to America now, if I see any fellas in the white pointy hats I will advise them to head up to Pitt Meadows to have a chat with our friend.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by London7
MM
if you read her original post, you will see the majority of people who replied were offended.
Apologise for what?for me personally she is the worse kind of racist, as she will not admit to it, but made disgusting comments as she did, with a vicious undertone.To me that = COWARD.
Yes, I feel devasated at being picked on by you, I am off to America now, if I see any fellas in the white pointy hats I will advise them to head up to Pitt Meadows to have a chat with our friend.
Yes I read her original post very carefully. As I pointed out already it wasn't racist. Not even remotely so. I doesn't meet the commonly accepted definition.

I have lived on three continents and myself have seen instances of violence due to racism/religious hatred. How about coming out of a cinema (Calcutta 1957) and seeing someone being almost killed on the street? I witnessed bloodshed between Hindus and Moslems. Both were at fault. I call that racism/religious hatred.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:36 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I read her original post very carefully. As I pointed out already it wasn't racist. Not even remotely so. I doesn't meet the commonly accepted definition.

I have lived on three continents and myself have seen instances of violence due to racism/religious hatred. How about coming out of a cinema (Calcutta 1957) and seeing someone being almost killed on the street? I witnessed bloodshed between Hindus and Moslems. Both were at fault. I call that racism/religious hatred.
Sorry but the original post did have racist undertones.............what planet you on!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:03 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hudman
Sorry Annette,
AM lives in a Town which is predominately white, her beef is with something else, probably pissed at still having to work. If she has to commute to Van on a regular basis ,I cant blame her. But thats another storey.
As usual people dont like look within for the answers, but have a dig at somebody else.
Thats my problem with bigots/ racists is I have always found underneath it all there personal inadequacies that need dealing with.
You make so many assumptions about me and my life, I find that to be typical of a bigot and racist. With emphasis on the bigot part. The reactions by you and some of the other posters were knee-jerk and offensive and complete with personal attacks. Almost funny if it weren't so offensive. Sort of a mass hysteria. Go back and read both of my postings, and quit the hysteria. As for the "majority of people who replied being offended", they were evidently offended at what they wanted to think was written, not what was actually written. This whole thing started out with irony. I say it like it is, not with racist undertones, overtones or bigotry. If I found the same attitudes amongst "white, British, colonists" or any other culture, colour, race, I'd have said it too.

Oh, and on my commute to work, I travel with an Indian, a Polynesian, a Hungarian, an Iranian, and a girl from Hong Kong - all good friends. This makes for a pleasant commute, but you even seem to have decided there are problems with my journey to work. Bigotry indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.