Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Incorporation query

Incorporation query

Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Incorporation query

Part of the arrangements for my new job are that I incorporate. I don't have any big problem with this as, for most of my working life, I've been self employed or traded as a limited company.
I intend to use an accountant to do my books each year as, in my experience, they usually save me more in tax than they charge in fees, and the fees are deductible anyway. Being in a new country as well I want the peace of mind that my tax affairs will be done right. Never messed with tax or customs, don't intend to start now.
I've been to see a local accountant who I feel would do a good job. He explained the ins and outs of incorporation and the benefits I might receive. The only problem is with his fees for incorporation. He has quoted me $1500 which I think is a bit high. As far as I know this includes the lawyers fees and GST registration and I am seeing him today to clarify this and one or two other points.
His 'year end' fees are quite reasonable but the incorporation rates seem high. I only intend to incorporate for BC.
Would any of you accountant types out there be able to offer me a bit of advice?
Many thanks, Ray
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Incorporation query

Originally Posted by Inse
Part of the arrangements for my new job are that I incorporate. I don't have any big problem with this as, for most of my working life, I've been self employed or traded as a limited company.
I intend to use an accountant to do my books each year as, in my experience, they usually save me more in tax than they charge in fees, and the fees are deductible anyway. Being in a new country as well I want the peace of mind that my tax affairs will be done right. Never messed with tax or customs, don't intend to start now.
I've been to see a local accountant who I feel would do a good job. He explained the ins and outs of incorporation and the benefits I might receive. The only problem is with his fees for incorporation. He has quoted me $1500 which I think is a bit high. As far as I know this includes the lawyers fees and GST registration and I am seeing him today to clarify this and one or two other points.
His 'year end' fees are quite reasonable but the incorporation rates seem high. I only intend to incorporate for BC.
Would any of you accountant types out there be able to offer me a bit of advice?
Many thanks, Ray
I'm not an accountant but:

- I don't think you can write off accounting fees, my bill for accounting says "Investment Advice"

- I paid about $800 for each Ontario corporation, $1500 does seem rather a lot.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:15 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not an accountant but:

- I don't think you can write off accounting fees, my bill for accounting says "Investment Advice"
It's down as "legal, accounting and professional fees" on my T1 this year. All $75 of it
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:15 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, Ray
Where in BC are you? We have a very good accountant who might be able to help you. His rates are quite fair and we find his work to be very good. There are no charges for a business number from the government and you can easily get this yourself. If you want you use a name, not a number then you would need to search and register the name. All this can be done from here http://www.bcbusinessregistry.ca/introduction/index.htm

All professional fees in connection with a business are fully deductible.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Where in BC are you? We have a very good accountant who might be able to help you. His rates are quite fair and we find his work to be very good. There are no charges for a business number from the government and you can easily get this yourself. If you want you use a name, not a number then you would need to search and register the name. All this can be done from here http://www.bcbusinessregistry.ca/introduction/index.htm

All professional fees in connection with a business are fully deductible.
Hi Surrey Expat. I'm in Creston. I will be using a number and not a name. I'm just a bit confused (down to my age!) with what is involved with incorporation here and anxious to get it right, without getting gouged.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33

- I paid about $800 for each Ontario corporation, $1500 does seem rather a lot.
I did expect around the $1000 but not $1500
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, Ray

I got an incorporated business set up online with GST registration and a few knobs and whistles for just over $100. That was back in November last year and it's functioning ok...

That was with: http://www.bdc-canada.com
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:28 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Surrey Expat. I'm in Creston. I will be using a number and not a name. I'm just a bit confused (down to my age!) with what is involved with incorporation here and anxious to get it right, without getting gouged.
$1000 seems about right. A lawyer can do the incorporation for you. Maybe call a couple and see what they would charge. Often they have off the shelf companies ready to go.

Our accountant is a bit far away for you.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about other provinces, but in Saskatchewan the directors have to consist of a majority of Canadian citizens. At least unless they have changed it in the last couple of years.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I don't know about other provinces, but in Saskatchewan the directors have to consist of a majority of Canadian citizens. At least unless they have changed it in the last couple of years.
I'm was just a 2nd class resident of 1 month and I'm the majority director. Although Ontario is a bit more advanced and more sophisticated in it's business programs than Sas-catch-you-an.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

He has quoted me $1500 which I think is a bit high. As far as I know this includes the lawyers fees and GST registration and I am seeing him today to clarify this and one or two other points.
It sounds quite high to me too. I would tell him so and ask how the cost is calculated.

There is a fee of about $350 to pay to the government so you need to be sure this is included in his quote. Also, have you asked for any special provisions to be included in the articles? This could increase the cost if he needs to get a lawyer to draft them. If not, why is he using a lawyer? Otherwise I can't see that a simple incorporation and filing of a business number application will take more than a couple of hours of his time.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Very_Optimistic is on a distinguished road

Hi,

My OH needs to get incorporated when we reach BC in July. We were told the legal fees would be $1000ish plus the $350 for the government charges. This was in a meeting with a lawyer in Comox.