Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing a vehicle into Canada from UK.

Importing a vehicle into Canada from UK.

Old Dec 7th 2016, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Transat41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a vehicle into Canada from UK.

I'm thinking about importing a motorhome into Canada from the UK, has anyone done this, or anyone imported a car?
I'm thinking something around 15 years or older. I can foresee problems getting spare parts though. I am thinking of something like Talbot Express, Fiat Ducato, or a Mercedes Autotrail. I might be OK as regards to spare parts with the Merc, but for the other two I would probably have zero chance of finding spare parts.

The main reason I want to do this is fuel economy, UK import 25 mpg, as opposed to Canadian standard motorhome 10 mpg. I plan to do a lot of miles.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in this matter.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a vehicle into Canada from UK.

Importing vehicles from countries other than the United States - Transport Canada

I've seen a Mercedes camper over here, it was up for sale for a long time.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may struggle with parts here for the Mercedes as well.
The Mercedes Sprinter platform is re-badged as the Dodge Ram Promaster here using the same diesel engines but hasn't been in production very long.
Re. Fuel consumption, for some reason (probably emissions), the fuel consumption here is abysmal compared to the identical European counterpart.
ie. Back in 2003, I had a Seat Ibiza with the VW engine that was averaging 58mpg and 62mpg after I had it chipped to 190bhp.
13years on, out here, with the same basic engine in the Golf, they brag in their adverts that it it'll do up to 42mpg on the highway.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Transat41
I'm thinking about importing a motorhome into Canada from the UK, has anyone done this, or anyone imported a car?
I'm thinking something around 15 years or older. I can foresee problems getting spare parts though. I am thinking of something like Talbot Express, Fiat Ducato, or a Mercedes Autotrail. I might be OK as regards to spare parts with the Merc, but for the other two I would probably have zero chance of finding spare parts.

The main reason I want to do this is fuel economy, UK import 25 mpg, as opposed to Canadian standard motorhome 10 mpg. I plan to do a lot of miles.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in this matter.
Watch for import taxes, you may find you have to pay them unless you have owned the vehicle for a certain length of time, and also the cost of getting it registered there, including the changes to the lights etc. Also, not too sure if it affects registration in Canada, but if the vehicle has a side door then it will be on the traffic side if you stop on a road, in many European countries that can lead to the vehicle not being registerable.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

RHD attracts a 25% premium load and that's on FA rates but, if you can live with that or will reside in a Province with an insurance monopoly, then there a fair few JDM campers on offer in BC and several firms that specialize in importing JDM vehicles.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:55 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Back in 2003, I had a Seat Ibiza with the VW engine that was averaging 58mpg and 62mpg after I had it chipped to 190bhp.
13years on, out here, with the same basic engine in the Golf, they brag in their adverts that it it'll do up to 42mpg on the highway.
Don't forget the fact that in the UK, the lowest grade petrol sold is 95 octane. In Canada, the lowest grade is 87 octane.

In fact, the UKs lowest grade (95) is better than the highest grade you can readily buy in Canada... 94.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Don't forget the fact that in the UK, the lowest grade petrol sold is 95 octane. In Canada, the lowest grade is 87 octane.

In fact, the UKs lowest grade (95) is better than the highest grade you can readily buy in Canada... 94.
Thread drift bit.... I don't believe that this is correct.

The ratings shown are different. The UK and Europe use RON whereas US and Canada use RON + MON / 2.

Bottom line is that Europe 95 / 98 equates to US / Canada 91/93 AIUI

Stands by to be shot down by true petrolheads!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Transat41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.
If I did buy one I'd get a left hand drive, there seems to be plenty of them for sale in Blighty. Might be more trouble than its worth though.
I'll do more research and see if I can find people out there who have done it, with a vehicle that is not popular in North America.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Transat41
Thanks for your replies.
If I did buy one I'd get a left hand drive, there seems to be plenty of them for sale in Blighty. Might be more trouble than its worth though.
I'll do more research and see if I can find people out there who have done it, with a vehicle that is not popular in North America.

Have a look/ask around for ones in-country that are up for sale.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
I think you may struggle with parts here for the Mercedes as well.
The Mercedes Sprinter platform is re-badged as the Dodge Ram Promaster here using the same diesel engines but hasn't been in production very long.
Re. Fuel consumption, for some reason (probably emissions), the fuel consumption here is abysmal compared to the identical European counterpart.
ie. Back in 2003, I had a Seat Ibiza with the VW engine that was averaging 58mpg and 62mpg after I had it chipped to 190bhp.
Don't forget those are small gallons over here....
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so potential issues (speaking as someone who imported a 1997 Defender when I moved here).

1) If you're already here, you will pay 12% PST/HST/whateverST. But then that's no different to an in-Canada purchase without part-ex.
2) The vehicle will need to be over 15 years old (you seem to know that)
3) The vehicle will need to be soil-free. It will be inspected. I got about 25-30kg of soil out of my front wheel arches from behind the liners after it was 'clean'. Cleaning by CBSA/AGR will cost you about $2000 if you get it wrong.
4) Spares for the first two you suggested will be coming from the UK/Europe. Even if parts are available here, they will still be cheaper imported yourself from the UK....and will probably be delivered quicker too!!
5) Import will be Ro/Ro (because a camper won't fit in a shipping container), which means it will dock at Halifax. You will need to deal with that yourself or pay a shipping agent. It will need to be 'landed' at Halifax or transported to your local CBSA (eg your local airport) on a truck (wheels off the ground) in-bond to be landed.
6) The Provincial inspection needs to be done both at your point of Landing (because you will need to Licence it in the first Province you drive it in) and again where you will be keeping it (as you will need to finally Licence it there too).
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Thread drift bit.... I don't believe that this is correct.

The ratings shown are different. The UK and Europe use RON whereas US and Canada use RON + MON / 2.

Bottom line is that Europe 95 / 98 equates to US / Canada 91/93 AIUI

Stands by to be shot down by true petrolheads!
In the UK octane rating is measured in RON (Research Octane Number) and in the US (and therefore I presume Canada as well) it is measured in AKI (Anti-Knock Index) which is an average between a fuel's RON and MON (Motor Octane Number). It's not possible to convert directly (i.e. AKI + 2 = RON) as it will depend on the characteristics of the individual fuels as the two scales are measuring different things but roughly, yes, a RON rating will be higher than a AKI rating so the two aren't comparable.

So comparing MPG between the UK and the USA/Canada can't be done without some conversions. Canadian motor homes may well be less efficient but given that petrol costs 40% less in Canada you may find that overall it really isn't worth the cost/hassle.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
When Canada used gallons (back in the 1970's...) it was the same size gallon as a UK gallon. It was only the US gallon that was 4/5 the size of the Canadian/UK gallon.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Canadian gallons are the same as the UK,
Can & UK 4.546ltrs=1gallon
US 3.79ltrs=1gallon
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Photoplex

Sorry, forgot to put Diesel in the bit about my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.