Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Importing a boat

Importing a boat

Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:50 am
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold
Default Importing a boat

I have a 28 foot crownline motorboat, not worth a lot as she's nearly 20 years old and needs a new engine but selling it will net me very little and with an engine in Canada we'll put her to good use.

Any ideas on the best way to have it sent to Canada I'm quite ok with getting it as far as the mainland and towing it back to Saskatchewan by myself or having it put on a truck and shipped.

Any hurdles on the importing paperwork side I need to be aware of?

John
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:11 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a boat

this should give you a starting point
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/imp-mar-eng.html

also be aware to operate it you'll probably need one of these

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...orfaq-2233.htm
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:28 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Note to self, make sure boat is on goods to follow list
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
Note to self, make sure boat is on goods to follow list
That's key. (Assuming you haven't landed yet). Otherwise you'll pay duties and taxes on it. You *may* pay sales tax when you come to register it in your province. In Canada you pay sales tax everytime something like a car, boat, rv, atv, snowmobile is resold. Tax on tax - it's the Canadian way.

I'd suggest you carefully look at the value of the boat, the cost of a new engine here and what you could buy a similar boat for. Your freight costs to import as RoRo cargo are not going to be insignificant.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I know you can import boats from the US that were made in the US very easily and with no duty because of NAFA. Not sure about from the UK. You should be able to get an engine for it very easily and with a bit of looking around, fairly inexpensively.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
also be aware to operate it you'll probably need one of these

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...orfaq-2233.htm
That's a piece of piss and would take about three minutes to get and are designed for novices. The Small Vessel Operator Proficiency and Marine Emergency Duties A3 courses are much better but more of a commitment.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 24th 2014 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

yes but probably not something of which the OP was aware of , there being no real UK equivalent, which is why I posted it.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
yes but probably not something of which the OP was aware of , there being no real UK equivalent, which is why I posted it.
Good point. Plus, technically you do need to pass the VHF requirement to operate one. The Canadian Power Squadron offer some excellent courses on all aspects of boating.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite ok with getting it as far as the mainland and towing it back to Saskatchewan by myself

Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I like the imagery
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:53 pm
Professional Cat herder

I think it is highly appropriate that "floatsy " has commented on this thread
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:42 pm
?

For the peanut gallery I'll rephrase

I'm ok with the boat being roro'd to Halifax and me towing the boat back using my own truck or getting it and trailer put on an truck and transported to my location in SK.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose there are rivers and suchlike in Saskatchewan
Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:51 pm
?

Originally Posted by bats
I suppose there are rivers and suchlike in Saskatchewan
1 or 2, otherwise it'll be a bit of a trek to the nearest tidal slip
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:00 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

1 or 2, otherwise it'll be a bit of a trek to the nearest tidal slip
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...f_Saskatchewan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.