Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Import of wine

Import of wine

Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Jerv73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Import of wine

I have searched the forum for the answer to this but have so far not managed to find one (sorry if I have missed it).

Over the years I have managed to accumulate around a 100 bottles of no so expensive wine (£5 to £10). I am aware from reading various source materials that you are only allowed to import a limited amount as personal allowance. I have tried the CIC website on several occasions and the page I require seems to have moved, but with no indication of where to.

I was hoping someone could advise how the import tax is worked out for such items and whether I would need to bring documented proof on the cost of each bottle of wine?

On the various occasions I have visited the west coast I have noticed that the cost of wine is slightly higher than the UK. However, if the importing them costs more than replacing them upon arrival I may be having a fair few merry nights before I leave.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

andrewhatton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Import of wine

try telephoning customs and excise, i am sure they will know

Failing that give all the wine to me and i can get blinding drunk. And why have you acumulated so much cheap wine? are you hoping it will increase in price and it is an investment?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Someone asked this question recently with respect to moving to Newfoundland. As wine/beer/spirit distribution is largely controlled at the provincial level by the liquor control board of that province, I'd suggest contacting them directly rather than customs.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Jerv73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise on contacting the relevant organisations.

It seems that once you mention to family and friends you like the odd bottle of wine, every present you get there after is either a bottle of wine, a fancy wine glass, electric corkscrew or wine books.

I should have mentioned I like sports cars......
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

andrewhatton is an unknown quantity at this point

or fast women...............................