Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Implications of getting a SIN

Implications of getting a SIN

Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Implications of getting a SIN

Last week we successfully landed at YVR and are currently plodding around the Okanagan deciding which ski resort to locate ourselves near to 😄. We don't plan to make the final move until late 2017 or 2018.

We are considering getting our SINs tomorrow from the Service Canada office but have a couple of questions before making the journey down there:

1. Do we need a permanent address to get our SINs? We have arranged for our PR cards to be sent to a friend's house - will Service Canada automatically use this address for our SINs?
2. Are there any tax implications of getting the SIN? Do we need to file tax returns or does getting SINs make worldwide income potentially taxable in Canada? My understanding (perhaps wrongly) is that the income tax liability is triggered by establishing a residence and is nothing to do with the SIN.
3. Are there any issues with getting a SIN so long before moving to Canada?

As always, I appreciate your helpful feedback.

Many thanks
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of getting a SIN

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Last week we successfully landed at YVR and are currently plodding around the Okanagan deciding which ski resort to locate ourselves near to 😄. We don't plan to make the final move until late 2017 or 2018.

We are considering getting our SINs tomorrow from the Service Canada office but have a couple of questions before making the journey down there:

1. Do we need a permanent address to get our SINs? We have arranged for our PR cards to be sent to a friend's house - will Service Canada automatically use this address for our SINs?
2. Are there any tax implications of getting the SIN? Do we need to file tax returns or does getting SINs make worldwide income potentially taxable in Canada? My understanding (perhaps wrongly) is that the income tax liability is triggered by establishing a residence and is nothing to do with the SIN.
3. Are there any issues with getting a SIN so long before moving to Canada?

As always, I appreciate your helpful feedback.

Many thanks
1. No. I used my friends address.

2. No

3. No. I am a Canadian (as opposed to my wife whom I sponsored), so I got mine about 18 months before my upcoming residence trip.

For you PA, you will probably have to show them the CoPR, but not sure on that.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I had to show my CoPR form to get my SIN.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

matt1670 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely not Revelstoke ;-)
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt1670
Definitely not Revelstoke ;-)
Went to Revelstoke last year - a bit too economically limiting, both with a lack of jobs and the requirement to replace my powder skis twice a year!
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

matt1670 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Went to Revelstoke last year - a bit too economically limiting, both with a lack of jobs and the requirement to replace my powder skis twice a year!

Isn't replacing powder skis every 2 years a good thing?

Yes I hear you about the economic job situation! Its a thriving tourist industry but you also have BC Hydro, CP Rail and 2 big mills which are great employers.