Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IMP and relocation

IMP and relocation

Old May 19th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Fred1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IMP and relocation

I am looking at moving to NS (Halifax region) and when carrying out my research have come across a company called IMP that appear to be recruiting in my field. I have been told that a certain relocation company refer people to them in exchange for a fee, and are also in cahoots with a husband and wife real estate agents team where they also get a split of the fees earned. This all sounds a bit dodgy to me, and I have heard some stories about the whole set up that sounds questionable.

Does anyone have any feedback ? This does sounds like a quick way in, but I don't want to get involved in anything underhand. Also, I've heard that IMP aren't a good company to work for (poor pay and conditions). Any views on this ?

Thanks

Fred
Old May 19th 2009, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Stormthirst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IMP and relocation

UK2NovaScotia.com are a relocation company, but they make no bones about where they get their money from ie referrals and commission from estate agents in NS. I wouldn't say that was particularly dodgy as such as they don't try to hide how they get paid. I think your answer will be research any company you wish to use - especially if they are particularly cheap and they are expecting you to hand over large sums of cash!

I don't know who IMP are - could you expand on what field they are in?
Old May 19th 2009, 4:04 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

IMP are always looking for certain trades - have you checked out their website to look for vacancies. Why get someone to refer you to them for a fee - go direct. They quite often go to the UK to recruit staff. They can help get you here ie permits etc. As for the company, some folks like them, some folks don't.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't pay for the relocation company's service, or the realtor. They get their money from IMP and the sellers of the property.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Fred1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tuppence
You wouldn't pay for the relocation company's service, or the realtor. They get their money from IMP and the sellers of the property.
Its not the payment that would concern me. I had heard that they are giving misleading information to people to get the in - I was just trying to find out if it was true
Old May 19th 2009, 7:39 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Welcome to BE

If you try a search putting IMP in the search field you should get lots more info re IMP, I know they have been discissed on here fairly regularly.

Sorry I dont know anyting about UK2NS other than I have heard of them, so cant really add any comment to this

Good luck with your plans
Old May 19th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Hey Fred, I work for IMP, I came accross on their relocation package, there is nothing underhand in any way about it. They are recruiting certain trades, if you are in one of these trades and are able to show qualifications and experience, they on succesfull application will pay about $11000 towards your relocation.

However you sign this money over in a loyalty scheme, which would see you owe a percentage back, based on how many years you have been with them. UK2novascotia are a great couple, Mike and Orlas job from an IMP perspective is to help you to succesfully get started in Canada. They will help you find local services, realtors, car dealers, government agencies, etc, they have been great to ourselves and other couples we know, but I know some people can take them or leave them. They cost you nothing but IMP pay them to help you integrate (their fee actually used to be part of your relocation money, but experience has shown that UK2novascotia really help people settle in better). This from IMPs perspective helps you settle in more easily and a happy employee is a productive employee.

IMP will help you obtain a TWP, for the short term, with the aim of you obtaining PR status as quickly as possible, They need skilled workers hence why they are recruiting in the UK.

A word of warning.

Dont go the IMP route without researching about Canada its lifestyle and cost of living first, some have come here looking for greener pastures and have been dissilusioned. It isnt as cheep here as some say, and therefore much depends on the finances you can bring with you, i.e. money from house sale, pension from UK etc.

We came here via IMP and for us they were a god send we were already applied for PR and were in the waiting loop we fully intended to settle in Halifax, had picked out schools, housing areas, done a recce etc. IMPs offer of employment got us into Canada a year early paid a fair whack to the relocation, and provided immediate employment. But we knew what we were doing with regards emmigration and had done 4 years of research.

IMP do as they promise they give you a job with medical cover(there is a cost) they help you obtain a TWP, they pay for your relocation to an extent.
But they are not immigration consultants, they are an aerospace company looking for skilled workers. On the downside, the wages are not great, but they are fair for this province. The shop floor is run by the union, it is a closed shop, you will be a member, (they will get on your nerves they did mine)

Fred this is an Honest deal, its not for everyone but there are a fair number of Ex pats working at IMP now, most I have met see it as it is for us immigrants, a stepping stone to a new life and new oppertunities. I have been with the company just over a year now and no major complaints so far.

Anyone who wants to know more can PM me and ill give you my phone number for a chat, I can give you contact details for the company, or you can get them off of their website Whichever you prefer.

Please though people do your research first, dont emmigrate on a whim, or Dont Dive headfirst into the lake without looking to see if there are rocks in the way first