Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immunizations?

Immunizations?

Old May 27th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

LandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant future
Default Immunizations?

I'm moving to Canada with my partner soon, so while in the UK and having the NHS what immunizations should i get? I know that it's time for me to have a tetanus booster not sure what else there is.

Thanks in advance for the information

L and C
P.S sorry for mis-spelling the title I can't go back and change it now

Last edited by LandC; May 27th 2010 at 12:27 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immnizations?

Originally Posted by LandC
I'm moving to Canada with my partner soon so while in the UK and having the NHS what immunizations should i get? I know that its time for me to have a tetanus booster not sure what else there is.

L and C
You should be fine with the jabs you'd normally get in the UK. It might be a good idea to get a shot for hepatitis.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:32 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Routine immunizations are free in Canada to residents once covered by their Provincial Health Care - register as soon as you get here.

Immunization Schedules - Canada

You will probably pay for travel immunizations, but this is the same as the NHS.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for the first time I'm bemused by a question on this site. I'm not immunized against anything. It has never crossed my mind to be immunized against anything while in Canada, the US or Europe.

Do we expect malaria or dengue fever to break out along the Danforth?
Old May 27th 2010, 12:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving to Canada with my partner soon, so while in the UK and having the NHS what immunizations should i get? I know that it's time for me to have a tetanus booster not sure what else there is.

L and C
Just to be safe, and due to the prevalent diseases Canada has on offer, i would suggest vaccination for Rabies, Typhoid, Hepatitis, Diphtheria, Malaria, Plague, and Humour Displacement.

Alternatively, this may help

Old May 27th 2010, 1:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not for the first time I'm bemused by a question on this site. I'm not immunized against anything. It has never crossed my mind to be immunized against anything while in Canada, the US or Europe.

Do we expect malaria or dengue fever to break out along the Danforth?
No. On the other hand, it's wise to have a tetanus shot wherever you live. Ditto hepatitis.
Old May 27th 2010, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunizations?

L and C
Fixed.

I would check out the relative costs of travel immunization, Hep shots and the like are certainly not cheap here.

According to my local health unit (who administer such things here) Canadians are supposed to have the following:
Vaccines that protect against the following diseases are available free of charge, and are required for attendance at school:

• Diphtheria is a very serious bacterial infection. It can cause breathing problems, heart failure, nerve damage and death in about 10% of cases.
• Tetanus (Lockjaw) causes painful muscle spasms, breathing failure and can lead to death. It is caused by bacteria and spores in the soil that can infect wounds.
• Polio can cause paralysis (loss of control over muscles in the body), inflammation of the brain and death. People get polio from drinking water or eating food with the polio virus in it. It is no longer common in Canada because of high immunization rates, but cases do occur elsewhere in the world and polio may be acquired when traveling if you are not fully immunized.
• Measles causes rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and watery eyes. It can cause middle ear infection, pneumonia (lung infection), inflammation of the brain, hearing loss, brain damage and death.
• Mumps causes fever, headache, painful swelling of the glands in the mouth and neck, earache and can cause inflammation of the brain. It can cause temporary or permanent deafness and swelling of the ovaries in women and testes in men, possibly leading to sterility.
• Rubella (German Measles) causes fever, rash, swelling of the neck glands and swelling and pain in the joints. It can cause bruising and bleeding. If a pregnant woman gets rubella, it can be very dangerous for the unborn baby.

Vaccines against the following diseases are recommended but not required for attendance at school.

• Pertussis (Whooping Cough) causes severe coughing spells for weeks or months. It can also cause pneumonia (lung infection), middle ear infection, convulsions (seizures), inflammation of the brain and death. The risk of complications is greatest in children younger than one year of age.
• Hepatitis B is a virus that can cause serious liver problems that can be fatal, such as liver failure and liver cancer. The vaccine is free for grade 7 students and certain high-risk groups (including infants born to mothers who are infected with hepatitis B and can pass the disease on to their babies).
• Influenza is a viral infection that causes cough, high fever, chills, headache and muscle pain. It can cause pneumonia (infection of the lungs), middle ear infections, heart failure and death. The danger of this infection varies from year to year depending on the strain and can be mild to life-threatening. Any one six months of age and older who lives, works or attends school in Ontario can get the vaccine each year free of charge.
• Varicella (Chicken pox) is a highly contagious viral infection. It can cause fever, headache, chills, muscle or joint aches a day or two before the itchy, red rash appears. A pregnant woman with chicken pox can pass it on to her unborn baby. Mothers with chicken pox can also give it to their newborn baby after birth. Chicken pox can be very severe or even life-threatening to newborn babies.
• Meningoccal disease-group C is a very serious bacterial infection and a common cause of meningitis (infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord) and meningococcaemia (severe infection of the blood) that can cause severe complications and death.
• Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is a very common virus transmitted through sexual activity. HPV has been found to cause cervical cancer, some other rare cancers and genital warts. (About 75 per cent of adults will have at least one HPV infection in their lifetime.) The vaccine is free for grade 8 females.

Vaccines against the following diseases are recommended for younger children. These vaccines are available free of charge:

• Haemophilus Influenzae B (HIB) is a bacteria that can infect any part of the body. It can cause middle ear infections, breathing problems, damage to joints, pneumonia (lung infection), inflammation of the brain leading to brain damage and death. This vaccine recommended for children less than 5 years of age.
• Pneumococcal disease is a bacterial infection that can cause serious illnesses such as pneumonia, blood infection and meningitis. The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine is now available free of charge in Ontario for the routine immunization of children less than 2 years old as well as high-risk children 2 to 59 months of age.