Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immunisations for school

Immunisations for school

Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice
Default Immunisations for school

Hi everyone,

We are off to Ottawa in Jan (hooray - at last!), and i've been in touch with the school/immunisation office regarding the boys imms. Apparently I need to get my youngest an extra DPTP/quadracel booster (what is that btw... diptheria, polio tetanus and ...?) and my eldest needs an extra Td & Polio (again, at the risk of sounding stooopid - i have no idea what Td is - possibly a typo - whaddya think?)

Did anyone else come across this and if so - were your Dr's ok about giving the extra jabs?

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:25 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immunisations for school

Originally Posted by Batfink
Hi everyone,

We are off to Ottawa in Jan (hooray - at last!), and i've been in touch with the school/immunisation office regarding the boys imms. Apparently I need to get my youngest an extra DPTP/quadracel booster (what is that btw... diptheria, polio tetanus and ...?) and my eldest needs an extra Td & Polio (again, at the risk of sounding stooopid - i have no idea what Td is - possibly a typo - whaddya think?)

Did anyone else come across this and if so - were your Dr's ok about giving the extra jabs?

Thanks
Td is Diptheria and Tetanus DPTP - Diptheria, polio, pertusis and tetanus

not sure how old your son is - mine is 11 and jusy needs hep b
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Dave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question. But i have one of my own. We have just sold our house and are hoping fly out beginning of Feb. I am ringing up my doctor today regarding their vaccinations and just presumed that the normal jabs that they have when they are little will be enough. Will they need additional jabs?? I have 4 children ranging from two to ten. Sorry to jump in on your thread but it has been on my mind and i need to get it sorted. There just seems to be sooo much to do now....

Wishing you all the best with your move

April
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Hi Dave-April,

I got in touch with the school that the boys will hopefully be attending (aged 7 and nearly 5), who put me in touch with the Public Health Dept. I sent them an email documenting all the jabs that they had had and they sent me the info on which additional jabs they will need. I do need to fill in some paperwork and send it over so it's all official. I guess it depends on which province/area you are going to.

I wanted to get it all sorted before we leave so they can start school almost immediately so lifes gets back to normal as soon as possible for them.

Thanks for your replies everyone
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Dave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really nice

Hi Dave-April,

I got in touch with the school that the boys will hopefully be attending (aged 7 and nearly 5), who put me in touch with the Public Health Dept. I sent them an email documenting all the jabs that they had had and they sent me the info on which additional jabs they will need. I do need to fill in some paperwork and send it over so it's all official. I guess it depends on which province/area you are going to.

I wanted to get it all sorted before we leave so they can start school almost immediately so lifes gets back to normal as soon as possible for them.

Thanks for your replies everyone
Thanks Batfink, I wasn't really sure what to do. So thats helped
me loads!!

Out of interest though, how did you decide which school to go for? We are going to okotoks near Calgary and there are about 5 or 6 elementary schools. So i have know clue!! AAAhhhh the stess

April
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

We were lucky in that during a recce that my OH undertook we obtained a rental house. There is only one school that covers the area so we had to go for that one which is good as it is literally 10 min walk away from the house - thank goodness as driving on the wrong side of the road and in the snow and ice terrifies me! I've been in touch with the head teacher and she was really helpful and friendly !

I hope that it all works out for you and if you are still if doubt - close your eyes and stick a pin in the map!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

We were lucky in that during a recce that my OH undertook we obtained a rental house. There is only one school that covers the area so we had to go for that one which is good as it is literally 10 min walk away from the house - thank goodness as driving on the wrong side of the road and in the snow and ice terrifies me! I've been in touch with the head teacher and she was really helpful and friendly !

I hope that it all works out for you and if you are still if doubt - close your eyes and stick a pin in the map!!
The pin in a map idea is great and if all else fails definitely worth a go!!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We are in BC, and no-one asked about vaccinations. As we came from the US we had lots of proof already, and the kids were half way through getting Hepatitis B too (they were very glad not to have to have the final two jabs!). DTP usually gets boosted every 10 years (the tetanus part should be done every 10 years for life).
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Here's the wiki with a link to the recommended immunisation schedule for Canada - check your kids' records (the health authority keeps a centralised register of these, easy to get a print-out from them if your kids are too old for you to have the "red book") and see what you're missing. But none of it is compulsory in Canada, despite how schools/daycares etc. make it appear.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave-april
We are going to okotoks near Calgary and there are about 5 or 6 elementary schools. So i have know clue!! AAAhhhh the stess

April
Hi April - usually, where you live dictates which school you go to - they have their own catchment areas. You may want to pick a school, then try and buy or rent in that area, or vice versa - buy or rent a house you like, and the kids just go to the local school.

However, there are lots of Okotoks people on this site, and maybe someone will point you in the right direction... (Sam-in-Okotoks, Lisa W, joelsa, Getting There to name but a few!)

Back on thread - I was armed with my red book, but kid's schools here in Cochrane never asked anything about immunisations. In fact it took 16 months for anyone to ask what daughter number one had had - and it was only when she moved school that they seemed interested to get records up to date. No-one yet cares about daughter number two!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect each Province has its own rules and regulations regarding student immunization. In Ontario each child must have an up-to-date immunization record. Children who are not fully immunized or have a special exemption, may not be allowed to attend school.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

In Alberta I believe that immunisation records are now the job of Alberta Health rather than the schools. So basically when you register at schools for Kindergarten or whatever they no longer ask to see anything....

That was our experience anyway

L
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Immunisations for school

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi April - usually, where you live dictates which school you go to - they have their own catchment areas. You may want to pick a school, then try and buy or rent in that area, or vice versa - buy or rent a house you like, and the kids just go to the local school.

However, there are lots of Okotoks people on this site, and maybe someone will point you in the right direction... (Sam-in-Okotoks, Lisa W, joelsa, Getting There to name but a few!)

Back on thread - I was armed with my red book, but kid's schools here in Cochrane never asked anything about immunisations. In fact it took 16 months for anyone to ask what daughter number one had had - and it was only when she moved school that they seemed interested to get records up to date. No-one yet cares about daughter number two!
Thanks Ann,

I think now what i will do is contact our doctors to double check they are up to date with their vaccinations (which i am sure they are) and then leave it as that and hope for the best.

Me and Dave were actually discussing the other night about maybe going to Cochrane, as this was our original choice. We are still unsure (even though we are going soon)and was wondering if you don't mind my asking but why you chose Cochrane?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:32 pm
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road

We moved to BC a year ago. I had to think long and hard about the vaccinations. As I opted out of immunising my second child and I stopped immunizations for my first after the first shot of MMR - he had febrile convulsions which according to doctors were not related to it.
I am also a nurse which made my decision not to immunise even harder. Before immigrating I did my research and it is not compulsory to immunise your children in Canada :
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vs-sv/vs-faq16-eng.php
There is one more link for those who need help with Canadian schedule of immunizations:
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/.../index-eng.php
I had no problems in UK or Canada. It is a personal decision of each parent to immunise their children or not. Luckily we are not in the US as it is much harder to opt out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by marina; Dec 11th 2008 at 10:32 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by leepee
In Alberta I believe that immunisation records are now the job of Alberta Health rather than the schools. So basically when you register at schools for Kindergarten or whatever they no longer ask to see anything....

That was our experience anyway

L
This was what happened with our kids. Then a short while after they had been registerd they sent a letter home from alberta health asking for the kids health details (their health number, doctor's details and vaccination details etc). I sent them back and it all seemed OK apart from one kid who was missing one of her MMR boosters... I was phoned up by a nurse who said that it wasn't compulsory but I could get it done if I wanted at the local health center... which reminds me, I must make an appointment......