Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Imminent move to NS

Imminent move to NS

Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Sally Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Imminent move to NS

My home in the UK has just gone under offer, so the possibility of moving to NS is now very real. I carry dual citizenship. I am thinking of making a trip to NS the end of April, just to be absolutely certain that this is the right thing for myself and my daughter. I hear that NS has lots of friendly people so it will be important to us to join in community events to get to know people as we have no family or support when we arrive. I am planning to rent in or near Halifax to begin with, then find employment and hopefully life will remain good as we mean to go on. Finding the UK somewhat tough and looking for a better life. Having lived in Toronto for many years, I do know Canada has quite a good life style and standard of living. If anyone has any opinions or thoughts for me to consider now, I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Imminent move to NS

Originally Posted by Sally Wilson
My home in the UK has just gone under offer, so the possibility of moving to NS is now very real. I carry dual citizenship. I am thinking of making a trip to NS the end of April, just to be absolutely certain that this is the right thing for myself and my daughter. I hear that NS has lots of friendly people so it will be important to us to join in community events to get to know people as we have no family or support when we arrive. I am planning to rent in or near Halifax to begin with, then find employment and hopefully life will remain good as we mean to go on. Finding the UK somewhat tough and looking for a better life. Having lived in Toronto for many years, I do know Canada has quite a good life style and standard of living. If anyone has any opinions or thoughts for me to consider now, I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks for any advice.
Well Sally, I'm going to move out there on the 5th May and I'm pretty friendly.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Sally Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laser558
Well Sally, I'm going to move out there on the 5th May and I'm pretty friendly.
Hi laser558. Where are you moving to in Nova Scotia? Have you been there before. Are you moving from the UK? I could ask so many questions - sorry! Well hope to hear from you.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Sally, I have sent a pm. Yes moving from the UK
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a sensible move. Stay away from British Columbia as we're load of ****s here.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Wilson
I've been living in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia for almost a year now and feel very comfortable there. We're an older couple so weren't looking for the same things as you will be, but we've found the people very friendly and enjoy our life there.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NoreenC
I've been living in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia for almost a year now and feel very comfortable there. We're an older couple so weren't looking for the same things as you will be, but we've found the people very friendly and enjoy our life there.
Hi Sally,

We've been here in NS for three and a half weeks now (I think I have contacted you before). We came across from Cornwall and I am totally convinced it was the right move.

The UK had lost it's charm for us sometime ago, but the current state of affairs over there left us feeling as though we had a very narrow escape getting out when we did! We still have to sell our house in Cornwall, but have someone very interested as I type so we're crossing our fingers and toes that we get an offer soon!

We are renting right between Bedford and Halifax and feel that this was the perfect location for us - close to everything and a great base from which to explore and discover where we may eventually want to buy a house.

If you are coming across soon and would like to meet up, or if you would like to know anything else...just send me a PM.

Perhaps a point of interest would be how many Canadians (not just Nova Scotians) have told me how much nicer/friendlier NS is than Toronto...if you lived in Toronto before and liked that, then this would suggest that you will love NS!!

Good luck!!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There are lots of us here, we are all linked up through facebook page, this is where you can get lots of info and also lots of contacts and info about events/meet ups etc

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=99605645325
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Sara Dee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

Great to find so many people from NS here. Myself, my husband & 5 year old son are moving to Halifax on the 6th June and we are currently trying to find somewhere to live. Seem to be on Kijiji constantly these days! JandG interesting you mention Bedford - that's where we're looking at renting too. It's pretty daunting considering we've never been to Canada before so it's a real leap of faith! We have no family or friends there but I hear the people are very friendly. We are really looking forward to it but just have so much to get done now in the next 7 weeks!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be there in early August. FB is a great place to get to know people as Nikki Dreaming said. Hopefully see you over there...
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sara Dee
Hi folks

Great to find so many people from NS here. Myself, my husband & 5 year old son are moving to Halifax on the 6th June and we are currently trying to find somewhere to live. Seem to be on Kijiji constantly these days! JandG interesting you mention Bedford - that's where we're looking at renting too. It's pretty daunting considering we've never been to Canada before so it's a real leap of faith! We have no family or friends there but I hear the people are very friendly. We are really looking forward to it but just have so much to get done now in the next 7 weeks!
It all depends on what you are looking for - where we are is a place called Royale Hemlocks, which is near The Ravines...these are both very large-scale developments full of town houses and blocks of condos....it doesn't represent what we are after long-term in respect of our 'Canadian Dream', but it is perfect whilst we find our feet and look around for somewhere that may become our long-term home.

I would certainly recommend trying to base yourselves somewhere more urban, near to facilities, schools, etc until you get used to the different areas and can make a more informed decision as to where you want to live. Rental contracts here are generally a minimum of 12 months (we were lucky in that we managed to negotiate an 8 month lease), so you want to avoid getting stuck somewhere unsuitable!

If you are contacting potential rentals via Kijiji, bear in mind that you cannot direct message vendors via Kijiji from outside Canada (it will know where you are based on your computer's IP address). We sent numerous emails to people without any response before we worked this out - look for listings where people have used their actual email address or phone number and contact them that way!

Hope everything goes well for you...getting everything sorted in the UK is a nightmare, but is well worth it!!