Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration and Settlement office said

Immigration and Settlement office said

Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Marmite lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration and Settlement office said

Yesterday I went to the Immigration and settlement office and they said that if we waited until 55 years old we would not have to do the citizen test, just turn up and they check off your photo against the paperwork etc and bingo you are a citizen. She said a lot do it that way as it is easier.
She also said if you do apply after your three year's of being here you are through the system quicker. The longer you wait the longer it takes, so she told me.
Now my question is she also said that 'if' I pass that my two young daughters can come to the final part and get the hand shake, sing the national Anthem and swear to the Queen. Is that so?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration and Settlement office said

Originally Posted by Marmite lover
Yesterday I went to the Immigration and settlement office and they said that if we waited until 55 years old we would not have to do the citizen test, just turn up and they check off your photo against the paperwork etc and bingo you are a citizen. She said a lot do it that way as it is easier.
She also said if you do apply after your three year's of being here you are through the system quicker. The longer you wait the longer it takes, so she told me.
Now my question is she also said that 'if' I pass that my two young daughters can come to the final part and get the hand shake, sing the national Anthem and swear to the Queen. Is that so?
My kids (both born in Canada so already citizens) and a good friend came to the ceremony with me so it shouldn't be a problem. My little boy even met the judge and shook his hand.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My kids (both born in Canada so already citizens) and a good friend came to the ceremony with me so it shouldn't be a problem. My little boy even met the judge and shook his hand.
I thought they did not like children at the ceremony? So if you pass they give you your date of the ceremony and you can take guests?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
I thought they did not like children at the ceremony? So if you pass they give you your date of the ceremony and you can take guests?
It's wasn't a problem in Toronto. My friend did have to take my baby girl outside when she started to cry mind you.