Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration Policy

Immigration Policy

Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:26 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Immigration Policy

Originally Posted by iaink
We live in a global village now, and races and cultures will mix more and more as time goes on, it cant be avoided, and canada is no different in this respect then the UK, except there is *probably* a much higher number of immigrant already here than there.
Referring back to an earlier thread, you get to stop being an immigrant sooner here, maybe even in you own lifetime.

In Celtic parts of the UK, you're still an immigrant up to three generations after the first arrivals.

Those Anglo-Saxons newcomers and their funny ways still aren't welcome in some parts of the UK

Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:16 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liftman
Every day in the Press, on television and Radio, there are stories and reports of how life in the UK is being eroded by the slow march of illegal immigration.
Would that be the Daily Mail by any chance??

I think it is *very* hypocritical of people to slag off people immigrating to the UK, considering that they are planning to emigrate themselves. Do you think you have any "right" in Canada that is different to the rights of immigrants in the UK? Do you think you have more rights as an immigrant because you are white?

In my opinion immigration contributes to the cultural, social and economic diversity of any country, regardless of their country of orgin. The fact is that a lot of asians, carribeans etc are more likley to be second generation UK citizens who have as much right to live in the UK as anyone else.

People have been migrating to the UK in one way or another for thousands of years. I know for a fact I have English, French and Irish ancestry. It is this migration that has made the UK the country it is.

I wouldn't like my kids to be denied Canadian citizenship just because their Mother is not an ethnic Canadian....
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:03 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by squarepants
Sounds like you condone this kind of behaviour, am a bit worried about that ! If that is how you feel, does that go for every british born person then, or only a certain looking types?
Where do you think in my posts that I condone Racism?(I assume that is the implied accusation?)

Certain looking types??? I assume you mean people with a skin colour that is not the same as mine?

What colour is my skin? Do YOU know?

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Would that be the Daily Mail by any chance??

I think it is *very* hypocritical of people to slag off people immigrating to the UK, considering that they are planning to emigrate themselves. Do you think you have any "right" in Canada that is different to the rights of immigrants in the UK? Do you think you have more rights as an immigrant because you are white?

In my opinion immigration contributes to the cultural, social and economic diversity of any country, regardless of their country of orgin. The fact is that a lot of asians, carribeans etc are more likley to be second generation UK citizens who have as much right to live in the UK as anyone else.

People have been migrating to the UK in one way or another for thousands of years. I know for a fact I have English, French and Irish ancestry. It is this migration that has made the UK the country it is.

I wouldn't like my kids to be denied Canadian citizenship just because their Mother is not an ethnic Canadian....
I do wish that uninformed people would not put their words into my mouth. I have absolutely no problem with people immigrating to the UK, as long as they do it legally, exactly in the same way as I would wish to enter Canada. It is the ILLEGAL immigration that I have a problem with.

Please please please, actually read a post properly before diving in and replying.

Well, if the press said so (presumably the daily mail?) it must be really bad!
Well Iain, why assume the Daily Mail?

Radio 4 - PM
BBC 2 - newsnight
Sky News
BBC News 24
ITN
C4 News
The Times, The Independant, The Daily Telegraph, The Financial Times, The Guardian, and even press that you probably have read, The Sun have carried this story.

Originally Posted by squarepants
Since he said that its ok for a british born person to scam the system, I was asking at the same time, there is no boundaries to this, i.e you can be asian, african, eastern european, and what not?

The problem only arises, when you are not born in the uk.
Maybe badly put by me. I do not like scammers of any type, but I do not like people claiming benefits when they have entered the country illegally.

This would be a real danger to refugees if we did not have any means of safe entry, but we do. It is called Asylum. If they use this and are declared to be in need, then no problem. We, like Canada are rich. But for them to come in in the back of a lorry, work illegally, then as soon as they are caught, claim asylum at that point, then I am sorry, they have lost their chance in my eyes.

Last edited by liftman; Sep 15th 2004 at 4:06 pm. Reason: Truly awful spelling
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:03 pm
Glaswegian

I do wish that uninformed people would not put their words into my mouth.
Welcome to another thread of doom .... doesn't it bug you when a thread degrades like this ... anyone even remember what the original topic was?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:05 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Welcome to another thread of doom .... doesn't it bug you when a thread degrades like this ... anyone even remember what the original topic was?
The funny thing is that this thread of doom is actually on topic!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:08 pm
Glaswegian

The funny thing is that this thread of doom is actually on topic!!
Is it still being productive or does it need put out of our misery??

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well Iain, why assume the Daily Mail?

Radio 4 - PM
BBC 2 - newsnight
Sky News
BBC News 24
ITN
C4 News
The Times, The Independant, The Daily Telegraph, The Financial Times, The Guardian, and even press that you probably have read, The Sun have carried this story.
I assumed the daily mail because its usually the worst offender at blowing any immigration based issue out of all proportion to appeal to the baser instincts of its "little englander" readership to try and boost circulation, although the comment was aimed at the media in general for making the worst of a bad situation.

Yeah, me i read the Sun! you obviously have my number! PMSL at the prospect. Sorry to offend, but you came over exactly like a DM letter writer. None of your comments about Turbans, Sharia Law, Carribean drug rights etc had anything to do with illegal immigrants per se, it was just typical little englander fodder, and i stand by my response that you will find more of the same in Canada.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2004 at 5:35 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:28 pm
Glaswegian

[QUOTE=iaink]Yeah, me i read the Sun!
What's wrong with reading the Sun?

This thread seems to be an exercise in exposing raw nerves ...

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]
Yeah, me i read the Sun!
What's wrong with reading the Sun?

This thread seems to be an exercise in exposing raw nerves ...
Nothing wrong with reading the Sun, although its not exactly renowned for in depth analysis. I was merely saying, in a sarchastic way, that Lifty had mistaken me for someone I am not.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:34 pm
Glaswegian

Nothing wrong with reading the Sun, although its not exactly renowned for in depth analysis.
But it had a really good comics page ... I took to reading the Sun after I got fed up with the Times' & Telegraph's tendancy to swallow government spin hook, line & sinker.

It's a right rivetin' read

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

But it had a really good comics page ... I took to reading the Sun after I got fed up with the Times' & Telegraph's tendancy to swallow government spin hook, line & sinker.

It's a right rivetin' read
The pictures are nice too
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:23 pm
Just going for Holidays

Sorry to offend, but you came over exactly like a DM letter writer. None of your comments about Turbans, Sharia Law, Carribean drug rights etc had anything to do with illegal immigrants per se, it was just typical little englander fodder, and i stand by my response that you will find more of the same in Canada.
I must agree that these particular comments had little to do with the illegal immigrants. It was a sidebar that I got slid into regarding the way that immigrants tend to establish "enclaves" of their own relegion/language/ethnic background, and then expect their host country to acceed to their wishes that the whole country should become like them. I am sure this is as relevant in Canada as it is in the UK!

PS. I love cold beer, and Hockey, but must accept that I do drink tea during the day, but only good coffee after dark.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:41 pm
Glaswegian

I do drink tea during the day
Even Tim Hortons now sells tea - brewed in a tea maker designed by a 3rd generation "tea master".

Haven't tried it yet ... if it's anything like Canadian drip coffee it'll be like heavilly stewed tar.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Even Tim Hortons now sells tea - brewed in a tea maker designed by a 3rd generation "tea master".

Haven't tried it yet ... if it's anything like Canadian drip coffee it'll be like heavilly stewed tar.
I havent tried it yet, but an English tea connoisseur I work with did, and she didnt finish it. Her exact words... "'effing terrible". Your assumption is correct.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2004 at 7:16 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Hey, watch the mouth there......TH has the best coffee in the world.....at a reasonable price....compared to other places.....and the timbits ain't bad either as a added attraction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.