Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration Policy

Immigration Policy

Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:07 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Immigration Policy

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well I’ve gone through the UK immigration procedure with my Canadian wife when we went back… and it’s not as easy as getting into Canada… I spent a whole day in the Croyden centre and watched a woman slowly dragged sobbing from the booth having been rejected…
Those that think the UK is a soft touch on immigration are living is a deluded world fuelled by media hype….
Have you ever tried to get a national insurance number… its not as easy as you make out… it took us approx 6months with all the paperwork…
I suppose that I am probably thinking of the people who are not coming to the UK as workers, more as "refugees".

Now I put that word in inverted commas intentionally.

There are two types of refugee. Those who have come from dangerous or opressed places and need a place of safety, and those who haven't.

The first I have no problem with. the latter are the real problem here. they are the ones who are begging in the streets, running the "eastern bloc" prostitution, stealing identities and organising the illegal importation of people from the middle east/China/India/former Soviet Union.

When I travel into Cornwall in the summer, the fields are packed with cheap labour, people without papers who are paid £10 a week picking daffodils, housed in old chicken sheds. When they are caught, and the corrupt farmers with them, they immediately apply for assylum, and are then allowed to collect benefits until their cases are decided - this can take 2-3 years.

If these people do not apply as soon as they arrive, they shoud not be able to claim anything, and they should be returned to their country of departure - usually France - as they have no right to be here.

Unfortunately, the expansion of the EU has only exaserpated this situation. There are now millions more poor, low skilled people allowed to just walk into the UK with no check on their health, or security standing.

Every day in the Press, on television and Radio, there are stories and reports of how life in the UK is being eroded by the slow march of illegal immigration.

There are moslems demanding that the UK should be governed under Shari`ah law. They want to be allowed to run their lives as they did at home, not according to the rules of the country they have come to.

There are Afro-carribeans demanding that their way of life, including drugs should be upheld, otherwise we are damaging their human rights.

The Sikh gentlemen are not required to comly with the Road Traffic Act and wear a crash helmet, as they wear a turban.

If you want to practice your religion, wear you clothes, honour your traditions, thats fine. But please, honour OUR traditions, our laws. You have come here to live in our country. If we went to your country and acted like this, we would not be tolerated, cosseted and helped, we would be arrested, deported, jailed.

Could you see Canada allowing tens of thousands of Peruvians to walk into Vancouver and Toronto, demanding free housing, medical benefits and money, and then, when the local populace complains, telling them that the Canadians can go to Peru as they are now part of the same big happy family?

This is happening here and now.

The UK may never recover from this, and the politicians are allowing it to happen.

Rant Over
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:26 am
squarepants

Ok....so in your case, how do you know which one is which? What really gets my goat, is when people lump them all together, and make that generalization, they don't bother to find out more about these people's situations, and what they've been through.

You know as well as I do, this sis the case in the UK, the old folks sitting in the corner, on the bus, and making silly comments like "they all come over here", who are they, the ones that don't look like you?

There are loads of us brits too back there, that claim every flippin' benefits going, and haven't worked for years, what makes them different from a refugee, scamming the system?

Originally Posted by liftman

There are two types of refugee. Those who have come from dangerous or opressed places and need a place of safety, and those who haven't.

The first I have no problem with. the latter are the real problem here. they are the ones who are begging in the streets, running the "eastern bloc" prostitution, stealing identities and organising the illegal importation of people from the middle east/China/India/former Soviet Union.

r

Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:39 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by squarepants
Ok....so in your case, how do you know which one is which? What really gets my goat, is when people lump them all together, and make that generalization, they don't bother to find out more about these people's situations, and what they've been through.
This is why they should be applying for their asylum at the point of entry. They can then be questioned, and the truth of the matter established.

You know as well as I do, this sis the case in the UK, the old folks sitting in the corner, on the bus, and making silly comments like "they all come over here", who are they, the ones that don't look like you?
Racism knows few bounds. The old folk probably do not see themslves as racist or religiously intolerant. That was not how they were brought up. No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish was a common sight on boarding houses in the 50's and 60's in the UK.

There are loads of us brits too back there, that claim every flippin' benefits going, and haven't worked for years, what makes them different from a refugee, scamming the system?
I agree except for one thing, those lazy buggers that are scamming are here by right of having been born here. They are residents, citizens, British. This is (for better or worse) their country.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:54 am
Glaswegian

This is happening here and now.

The UK may never recover from this, and the politicians are allowing it to happen.

Rant Over
That wasn't a rant, that sounded like a fair and balanced view of life in the UK as I remember it.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:06 am
squarepants

Sounds like you condone this kind of behaviour, am a bit worried about that ! If that is how you feel, does that go for every british born person then, or only a certain looking types?

I agree except for one thing, those lazy buggers that are scamming are here by right of having been born here. They are residents, citizens, British. This is (for better or worse) their country.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:16 am
Glaswegian

does that go for every british born person then, or only a certain looking types?
How do you want us to look then??

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:22 am
squarepants

Since he said that its ok for a british born person to scam the system, I was asking at the same time, there is no boundaries to this, i.e you can be asian, african, eastern european, and what not?

The problem only arises, when you are not born in the uk.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
How do you want us to look then??

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:29 am
Glaswegian

Since he said that its ok for a british born person to scam the system, I was asking at the same time, there is no boundaries to this, i.e you can be asian, african, eastern european, and what not?

The problem only arises, when you are not born in the uk.
Hmmm ... I don't support scammers of any race, creed or colour ... they're all lazy buggers as far as I'm concerned.

BUT ... I guess to some degree it's better to scam your own country of birth than someone else's ... but ...

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:40 am
squarepants

Is that right, so as a tax payer, you will be happy to see your taxes going to scammers of the same nationality as you, and that is ok with you?

Hmmm ... I don't support scammers of any race, creed or colour ... they're all lazy buggers as far as I'm concerned.

BUT ... I guess to some degree it's better to scam your own country of birth than someone else's ... but ...

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:42 am
Glaswegian

that is ok with you?
Nope ... by choice I'd put all the scammers in Alberta into buses and ship them out to BC ... they have a liberal government who can afford to fund them.

Awaiting the flame firestorm .....

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Nope ... by choice I'd put all the scammers in Alberta into buses and ship them out to BC ... they have a liberal government who can afford to fund them.

Awaiting the flame firestorm .....
Well, it's arrived (good thing I like you).....just what BC needs.....more bums and scammers - we can't afford the ones we have now!!!!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:49 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
we can't afford the ones we have now!!!!!!!
Did you vote for them

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Did you vote for them
Yes, but only under duress.......and because they made promises to taxpayers and once in power broke every one of those promises.

We have a real problem in BC with our next election coming up - don't wnt to vote Liberal again....but there is no one else looking even close to be capable......scary thought that the Liberals might get in again!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:54 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Yes, but only under duress.......and because they made promises to taxpayers and once in power broke every one of those promises.

We have a real problem in BC with our next election coming up - don't wnt to vote Liberal again....but there is no one else looking even close to be capable......scary thought that the Liberals might get in again!!!!
Vote SNP next time ... I'll be heading over in a bus full of ex-Alberta scammers ...

Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

SNIP
Every day in the Press, on television and Radio, there are stories and reports of how life in the UK is being eroded by the slow march of illegal immigration.

There are moslems demanding that the UK should be governed under Shari`ah law. They want to be allowed to run their lives as they did at home, not according to the rules of the country they have come to.

There are Afro-carribeans demanding that their way of life, including drugs should be upheld, otherwise we are damaging their human rights.

The Sikh gentlemen are not required to comly with the Road Traffic Act and wear a crash helmet, as they wear a turban.

SNIP
Well, if the press said so (presumably the daily mail?) it must be really bad!

Blah blah blah...what makes you think Canada is any different? Canada welcomes immigrants and assylum seakers from around the globe, and just the other day I got a rather nasty semi racist NIMBY email making its way aroung canada decrying the erosion of canadian traditions for exactly the same reasons of integration you are "ranting" about here.

Canada is a land built on immigration, and its traditions are nearly all borrowed from other cultures. Remember, if you make it to canada, you too will be an immigrant, with strange tea making obsessions, and you will want to erode the canadian tradition of COLD beer for some luke warm muck, and perhaps attend an ANGLICAN church, and watch some stupid alien game called "SOCCER" whatever the hell that is.

We live in a global village now, and races and cultures will mix more and more as time goes on, it cant be avoided, and canada is no different in this respect then the UK, except there is *probably* a much higher number of immigrant already here than there.

rant over

Iain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.