Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Immigration Denied - Getting tough on Fraudsters

Immigration Denied - Getting tough on Fraudsters

Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:51 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Denied - Getting tough on Fraudsters

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Pretty sure once the decision has been "made" they can't go back and re-nege on it, even if they missed something during the process. I've never seen a single case on here of anyone's PR being revoked for anything like that. Once you get PR your case is completed and closed (with the possible exception of going to another province after getting provincial nomination, but I've never even seen THAT happen!)

Perhaps if you've committed a serious crime or something like that before coming to the country they would, but as for having a dodgy AEO I think in the worst case you would just get put into their immigration statistics :P
It's one of those typical "knowing the wrinckles" scenarios isn't it? Is it illegal though?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's one of those typical "knowing the wrinckles" scenarios isn't it? Is it illegal though?
It's fraud, but the law in that area is rather limited. Basically if you break the rules, most of the time all that happens is your PR application gets turned down. They don't seem to go after you, but for big operations like the one featured this might be different. It's not like in the US where if you marry someone for citizenship and they find out it's a sham you get fined thousands of dollars and possibly taken to court.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:00 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's fraud, but the law in that area is rather limited. Basically if you break the rules, most of the time all that happens is your PR application gets turned down. They don't seem to go after you, but for big operations like the one featured this might be different. It's not like in the US where if you marry someone for citizenship and they find out it's a sham you get fined thousands of dollars and possibly taken to court.
But would the immigrant applicant, once a PR (assuming they got away with it), get deported? fined? imprisoned? nothing?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If people have to bend the rules a bit who cares? Firstly its Canada and secondly, there's lots of room for people. Live and let live.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure once the decision has been "made" they can't go back and re-nege on it, even if they missed something during the process. I've never seen a single case on here of anyone's PR being revoked for anything like that.
Your PR can certainly be revoked if CIC decides you obtained it fraudulently or in some way that is not within the rules.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If people have to bend the rules a bit who cares? Firstly its Canada and secondly, there's lots of room for people. Live and let live.
Screw that. Now I've got in, I want to pull the rope up behind me to keep the rest of the plebs out - it helps me feel special you know.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Screw that. Now I've got in, I want to pull the rope up behind me to keep the rest of the plebs out - it helps me feel special you know.
Well at least you're honest
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:17 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Pretty sure once the decision has been "made" they can't go back and re-nege on it, even if they missed something during the process. I've never seen a single case on here of anyone's PR being revoked for anything like that. Once you get PR your case is completed and closed (with the possible exception of going to another province after getting provincial nomination, but I've never even seen THAT happen!)

Perhaps if you've committed a serious crime or something like that before coming to the country they would, but as for having a dodgy AEO I think in the worst case you would just get put into their immigration statistics :P I do agree perhaps they should tighten up, but ultimately I think a lot of good people are forced to bend the rules in order to get into Canada, and end up contributing a lot to the country.

Sure CBSA goes after persons who have obtained their PR status through misrepresentation, even years after the fact. It mostly happens in spousal cases, but their are a % of skilled workers. Troll through the decisions of the IAD http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html and search text misrepresentation.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:28 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Sure CBSA goes after persons who have obtained their PR status through misrepresentation, even years after the fact. It mostly happens in spousal cases, but their are a % of skilled workers. Troll through the decisions of the IAD http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html and search text misrepresentation.
I would have thought an illegal act is just that - and always will be (unless the law is changed) - otherwise a rapist 15 years down the line would be....what? ooh I know, a rapist
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Very interesting PMM.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:51 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Cool!!