Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm so sad!!!!

I'm so sad!!!!

Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future
Default I'm so sad!!!!

We arrived 10 weeks ago today, and everything was going so well up to about 4 weeks ago - My oh was let go from the company that brought him over.
We thought that was it and were preparing to go home - anyway another company stepped in at last minute and pulled out all the stops to apply for lmo - this came back the other day, great we thought, until we and company realised it was for only 8 Weeks!!! company were told though they could extend and it should'nt be a problem???

Anyway in meantime i have started my dream job and kids are finally settled in school, all we want to do is try and make ago of things here!

So now we all have to go to the border and get new wp that will be only valid for 8 weeks, and if they dont extend that is the end of the dream

I just feel so sad about everything, we are actually just thinking about giving up and going home....

Anne

Last edited by anne-ireland; Mar 20th 2009 at 4:41 am.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:21 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so sad!!!!

OMG what a nightmare Your not giving up and there is every chance that your WP will be extended. I wish you the best of everything.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:37 am
Arrived 12th March 2009

markandlibby is an unknown quantity at this point

That is terrible luck and must be realy stressfull - i hope it all works out.
I'll send you some karma . . .
Old Mar 20th 2009, 6:33 am
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

dont give up Anne, at least get the WP and see what happens. You and your family have spent a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get where you are now so dont chick in the towel just yet.

I hope it all works out!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

OMG Thats terrible, but at least try and get that further WP and then hopefully extend it for you.

The very best of luck.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:08 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markandlibby
That is terrible luck and must be realy stressfull - i hope it all works out.
I'll send you some karma . . .
+1
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

snofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
+1
Got everthing crossed for you Anne, like everyone has said, you've worked so hard to get there, fight for it and keep smiling!

Big hugs
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:48 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne-ireland
We arrived 10 weeks ago today, and everything was going so well up to about 4 weeks ago - My oh was let go from the company that brought him over.
We thought that was it and were preparing to go home - anyway another company stepped in at last minute and pulled out all the stops to apply for lmo - this came back the other day, great we thought, until we and company realised it was for only 8 Weeks!!! company were told though they could extend and it should'nt be a problem???

Anyway in meantime i have started my dream job and kids are finally settled in school, all we want to do is try and make ago of things here!

So now we all have to go to the border and get new wp that will be only valid for 8 weeks, and if they dont extend that is the end of the dream

I just feel so sad about everything, we are actually just thinking about giving up and going home....

Anne
That is awful! At least when the application is in to extend the WP, your OH can still work under assumed status and bring home the bacon.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Hi Anne,

I am very sorry about your situation, hang in though.... its always very tough (emotional hell) at the beginning.
If you can get three years in Canada under your belt - no less- then all going well, you'll be fine- that was my experience. Dont bail yet you've done too much to turn around and go back...to what??
You've probably burned bridges and it would be tougher or as tough and confusing to re-adjust back home than just staying here and soldiering on.

One thing I will say is ;be aware that there is a firing/dismissal approach here among employers that is quite different from home, its much more prevalent to dump often good employees for whatever reason.
Get yourself a union position if you can.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

thankyou everybody for your support, i needed to vent some of my distress - and we are trying to not worry our families at home.

Yes we have invested too much in this process, and burnt bridges at home - we had a chat last night and we are gonna try and fight this and hopefully they will extend.

The ironey is we are now both in jobs that we love, he is with a smaller firm, doing more skilled work, and i am working with a company that have been so supportive through this, to the point of giving me paid leave, when i was with them 3 days!!!! i didnt even request it.

Anyway once again thankyou for all the support, will keep all posted on how it goes.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:54 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

thankyou everybody for your support, i needed to vent some of my distress - and we are trying to not worry our families at home.

Yes we have invested too much in this process, and burnt bridges at home - we had a chat last night and we are gonna try and fight this and hopefully they will extend.

The ironey is we are now both in jobs that we love, he is with a smaller firm, doing more skilled work, and i am working with a company that have been so supportive through this, to the point of giving me paid leave, when i was with them 3 days!!!! i didnt even request it.

Anyway once again thankyou for all the support, will keep all posted on how it goes.
Im glad you seem a bit more positive now, just work with it and im sure you will be ok
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Anne
First of all I am sooo very sorry to read this. Really my heart goes out to you.

2ndly and a big 2nd- please - those of you who are coming over on a temp visa, not PR, take and heed the warnings- the Canadian economy is taking a hit as well- don;t sell everything up in the UK, in case you have to go back. Its really not a nice feeling.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:22 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Originally Posted by shelley748
First of all I am sooo very sorry to read this. Really my heart goes out to you.

2ndly and a big 2nd- please - those of you who are coming over on a temp visa, not PR, take and heed the warnings- the Canadian economy is taking a hit as well- don;t sell everything up in the UK, in case you have to go back. Its really not a nice feeling.
Hi Shelley I think thats good advice as we have friends having to come back from OZ due to them not being safe on their visas....it made us have second thoughts about selling up completely because they sold up moved out there and built a house but have to sell it now. The house was only completed in November so its been a steep learning curve for them but they are not bitter. Like they say dont put all your eggs in one basket!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by shelley748

I agree entirely.
if you can, come for one year or two and try it out first- rent an apartment
but dont ever,ever sell everything /burn bridges back home. Keep the door open.
The world is much smaller now anyway.
Actually I have friends who fly from toronto to london for a long weekend quite regularly
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:08 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Try and stay positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.