Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm here and need to leave and come back!!

I'm here and need to leave and come back!!

Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:14 am
Just Joined

trjackso will become famous soon enough
Default I'm here and need to leave and come back!!

Well thanks for the advice everyone, it really worked. I landed a job over the phone, quit my job in the UK and thought I need to risk everything here. Left my home and moved to Canada in July.

I came in via Vancouver and landed after my 8 hour flight from Manchester and found myself with a bunch of documents faxed / emailed and sent via snail mail at the border control. I said that the company lawyers had asked me to turn up to get a visa for 2 years.

Well it was mid-day in Vancouver and I waited at the post of an anxious young officer and managed to get my book stamped and visa stamped for 2 years in under 20 minutes. I flew out of Vancouver 4 hours later and hit Calgary, that was it...all that panic over nothing!! woop woop!

Now I landed in Regina at 9pm after a long day and a half and could not wait to be with my Kimberly. I love her dearly.

So, next steps now Winter is almost half way through is being able to travel out of Canada okay for vacations and such....as my visa says that It will not guarantee re-entry to Canada if I leave, which sucks because I am meant to go to my cousins wedding soon in California.

So again I need help again!! How do I make it that I can travel, but return to my sweetheart with my crippling visa? or visit my relatives in the UK? Is it possible?

I now have to apply for my perm res visa, of which I will ask advice of the local Offices here in Regina...I am going to ask my company for help too, maybe contact their lawyers/HR...so we will see...

If I am working here already, do I need the money to prove I can afford to support myself? I have it still, but need to put it away safe before we spend it all on Ikea goods...lol

Welcome to Canada, your friendly Ikea (8 hours away in Edmonton or Calgary!!)

Hope someone can advise this long list of queries.

Teej
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:33 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm here and need to leave and come back!!

I advise you not to leave for vacations or weddings until your residency is settled. You may well be refused re-entry and possibly that will have an effect on you gaining PR.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we still had TWP with the 'does not guarantee re-entry' We border hopped without a prob. That was before the world economy bottomed out though - shouldn't change anything though.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a problem traveling while on a work permit...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:44 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
I never had a problem traveling while on a work permit...
Same here, especially if it's just been activated you have loads of time left on it. The only time it could get sticky is closer to the end of the TWP period when proof of further time or flights out of Canada may be needed.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

I suggest you call up CIC and check this but this is how I believe it works.

I'm here on a NZ WHP and the information that the embassy provided with that said that the work permit would say not valid for re-entry but that this was not an issue.

What I think happens (and this is from researching the immigration law fairly thoroughly) is that people have *two* pieces of paper to worry about.

One is a visa. This gets you in. It's possible that you're from a visa waiver country in which case you may not need one. However, the point is that it's the *visa* that determines entry.

The second is the work permit. This permits you to *work*. Without it, you can't. So you could get into the country with a visa but then not be able to work without a work permit.

Why does the work permit say that it's not valid for re-entry? Because the work permit is *not* about entry. It's about working.

So, by this analysis, you'd be fine to go.

From personal experience, almost as soon as I got here I went to the US on the train and came back. The CBSA officer asked some questions, looked a little confused, and then let me straight in.

Oh, and to save a lot of bother, if you enter the US on the Visa waiver make sure, when leaving, you give the green card back. I believe you can do this by giving it to the Canadian officer. If you don't, you need to post it back to them along with proof that you have actually left the US.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:08 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

My TWP says the same, I've been in and out of the country probably half a dozen times so far, not a problem coming back in....
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trjackso
So, next steps now Winter is almost half way through
LOL, posted Jan 20th, in SK??

You have sooooo much to learn

Last edited by iaink; Jan 21st 2009 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, posted Jan 20th, in SK??

You have sooooo much to learn
LOL I know, but its not too bad. Okay -49 hurts a little, but I cleared the driveway in -32 by hand, you just have to bundle up!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by trjackso
LOL I know, but its not too bad. Okay -49 hurts a little, but I cleared the driveway in -32 by hand, you just have to bundle up!!
Get a snowblower Trevor!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vegasrockstar
Get a snowblower Trevor!
I might get a snow blower next year, all sold out now (the cheap ones anyway) but as of now I am enjoying playing in the snow, even if it means playing for longer than my friends/family recommend...lol
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I advise you not to leave for vacations or weddings until your residency is settled. You may well be refused re-entry and possibly that will have an effect on you gaining PR.
Been through Calgary back to the UK and then back no probs and also done 2 to and from USA border crossings with no problems at all - apart from rude American Border guys
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: I'm here and need to leave and come back!!

There should not be any problems travelling at all. The TWP allows you to work in Canada, it is your passport that determines whether you can travel or not. So long as that is valid I cannot see what the problem is.