Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm about to sit my Plumbing exam for the 4th time

I'm about to sit my Plumbing exam for the 4th time

Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm about to sit my Plumbing exam for the 4th time

The majority of questions were Math. Spent 3 hours on it lol

I’m sure I will get there, maybe next time I will be luckier with the questions

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You mustn't give up!

You're nearly there!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you pay for some private, very specific tutoring in the areas that are giving you trouble?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:33 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Could you pay for some private, very specific tutoring in the areas that are giving you trouble?
Yes, I would second that suggestion.

My son this year was having a problem with Advanced Math and Physics at 11th Grade taught in French, I was lucky I found the perfect person and after a few lessons he has an 'I can do this' approach that has taken him from being OK to self confident, and much less stressed.

It's all about the self confidence - very very best of luck
Old Apr 11th 2018, 1:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magawish
The majority of questions were Math. Spent 3 hours on it lol

I’m sure I will get there, maybe next time I will be luckier with the questions

Thanks
not about luck its about knowledge..if you keep failing then something is wrong..maybe plumbing isn't your forte
Old Apr 11th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's not a helpful comment. My understanding is that the OP is already an experienced trained plumber and is challenging the Canadian exam.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 3:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
That's not a helpful comment. My understanding is that the OP is already an experienced trained plumber and is challenging the Canadian exam.
I agree with you. My son is currently on a full-time course to be an electrician. He has exams every week. He usually aces them. One exam, he got marked down. It was about three-dimensional design and math.

My son, a qualified and experienced precision machinist, knows way more about this stuff than his teacher does. He simply didn't do the sums according to what the book says and got penalised for using a different methodology.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:00 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband would never have passed anything in life, had it not been for a private tutor, the one to one element allowed him to understand exactly what it was he was getting wrong, and right it. That's what made him suggest it to our son.

Magawish, whatever you do don't give up. The math is not your problem - the anxiety over the math is what's letting you down.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband would never have passed anything in life, had it not been for a private tutor, the one to one element allowed him to understand exactly what it was he was getting wrong
In a completely different way, I can well believe this.

In Tech Drawing at school there was a particular aspect I just couldn't get my head around in class.

One day, when the teacher was out of the room, there was the usual playing around and I threw a plastic set square from one end of the room to another. It spun beautifully through the air and as the teacher returned to the room opening the door, it flew right past his face.

I had to own up or the whole class was to be kept in. So at my detention that night I was doing the work from class with one on one from the teacher and it all clicked.

It was key to a lot of the stuff that was needed for other exercises and massively improved my exam mark.

So, lesson learned. If there's something you have a problem with, lark about in class and get some one on one attention at detention.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So, lesson learned. If there's something you have a problem with, lark about in class and get some one on one attention at detention.
You'll be pleased if I don't recommend this as a course of action to my son
Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!

I will keep studying and working hard... I shall not be defeated

Roll on 25th April!! Next exam
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Good to read this. Report back after the exam! We'll be looking out for your post.