Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you're moving money AFTER you've left the UK, I suggest you don't bank with Lloyds

If you're moving money AFTER you've left the UK, I suggest you don't bank with Lloyds

Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:40 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default If you're moving money AFTER you've left the UK, I suggest you don't bank with Lloyds

I am so angry today, we moved over about £10 before we flew out, leaving the rest to move out when my redundancy money and the utilities came through.

So I rang Lloyds from Canada this morning and told them I'd be moving the rest over and asked if there were any daily restrictions online, and was told I couldn't sent more than 10k in one payment, so I'd need to send multiple payments to HiFX...no problem, they confirmed that'd be fine. So I book my rate with HiFX and go to send the money over.

Set up all the payments. It got held by the fraud team, no problem I thought I'd just call them to release the funds - nope.

Unless you are physically in the country you cannot move more than 10k PER DAY. The only way to move more would be with a chaps payment which....TADA you have to go to a branch to complete!

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just incredibly frustrated. It's going to take me a week to get the money to HiFX now instead of them having it tomorrow...meaning I'D have it tomorrow or the day after!

End of rant
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're moving money AFTER you've left the UK, I suggest you don't bank with Ll

Originally Posted by sheadboy
I am so angry today, we moved over about £10 before we flew out, leaving the rest to move out when my redundancy money and the utilities came through.

So I rang Lloyds from Canada this morning and told them I'd be moving the rest over and asked if there were any daily restrictions online, and was told I couldn't sent more than 10k in one payment, so I'd need to send multiple payments to HiFX...no problem, they confirmed that'd be fine. So I book my rate with HiFX and go to send the money over.

Set up all the payments. It got held by the fraud team, no problem I thought I'd just call them to release the funds - nope.

Unless you are physically in the country you cannot move more than 10k PER DAY. The only way to move more would be with a chaps payment which....TADA you have to go to a branch to complete!

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just incredibly frustrated. It's going to take me a week to get the money to HiFX now instead of them having it tomorrow...meaning I'D have it tomorrow or the day after!

End of rant
We use a direct debit mandate for the Fx house and they take the funds from the account and send me the currency.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're moving money AFTER you've left the UK, I suggest you don't bank with Ll

End of rant
Without meaning to sound unsympathetic but didn't you check this before you left?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:03 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

the bank told me there was no daily limit, I'd just need to send multiple 10k payments. I can't help it if they give me false information.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:35 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted about about this a few times over the years - it is not only Lloyds that have security procedures to follow.

It's up to you to set up passwords etc with your bank. Prior to leaving the UK I had to set up 3 passwords with my bank to enable me to transfer sums higher than 5000 GBP to HIFX - this came into effect when I left the UK. Security is there for our benefit.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:40 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

no, I do agree, I just needed to rant a little.

every other aspect of the move went perfectly, we were bound to hit one bump
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:41 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

no, I do agree, I just needed to rant a little.

every other aspect of the move went perfectly, we were bound to hit one bump
Nothing worse than not getting access to your own money, so I do sympathise with you.

Good the hear that everything else is going well
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I am in Canada and have transferred money from the UK with Lloyds TSB. There is a 10K online limit, but no limit if you write to your actual branch with the transfer instructions. I talked to the Customer Services Manager at my Lloyds TSB UK branch before doing larger transfers. I have used this process twice now with no problems. I even had a phone call from the Manager on my mobile to let me know the money had been transferred.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I made a couple of bigger transfers by swift to the lawyers account for property purchases.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:18 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Originally Posted by atscmc
Hi,

I am in Canada and have transferred money from the UK with Lloyds TSB. There is a 10K online limit, but no limit if you write to your actual branch with the transfer instructions. I talked to the Customer Services Manager at my Lloyds TSB UK branch before doing larger transfers. I have used this process twice now with no problems. I even had a phone call from the Manager on my mobile to let me know the money had been transferred.
that's good to hear...we were offered no solutions just told to suck it up effectively.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:45 am
Scottish Canuck

that's good to hear...we were offered no solutions just told to suck it up effectively.
One thing I would recommend for people about to emigrate is to get the phone number of someone handling your account at your UK branch - it beats going through the telephone banking system.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:50 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

yeah, I'm going to speak directly to Branch tomorrow, bypass the telebanking and online.

Thanks for your experiences!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar problem with Barclay's.....before we moved we went into our local branch and explained we may need to sell the house in the future and transfer the monies to Canada. We were told this wouldn't be a problem and signed what we thought was the necessary paperwork.

When it came down to transferring the money, I was given a great rate by our bank here RBC, so I rang Barclay's to get it transferred. Only to be told that I could either transfer 5000 per day over the phone or 2000 via online banking. By the time we argued we had lost the great rate and had lost $12000 What a waste of time!!!!!

Our friends who banked with HSBC had no trouble at all....and I would highly recommend anyone opening an account with them before moving...I sure wish we had.

Linda
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

considering that rates of exchange can go up as well as down, and that currently GBP to CAD is tom tit..... having to move a little at a time might be a blessing in disguise?

afterall, if with each chunk of change moved, your price goes in your benefit, you'd make a profit not seen with one fell swoop.

frankly, right now i wish i could move less than £5k at a time.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
considering that rates of exchange can go up as well as down, and that currently GBP to CAD is tom tit..... having to move a little at a time might be a blessing in disguise?

afterall, if with each chunk of change moved, your price goes in your benefit, you'd make a profit not seen with one fell swoop.

frankly, right now i wish i could move less than £5k at a time.
So are you actually arguing that it is better to change small amounts with an increasingly better rate than it is to wait until the rate hits its highest and then transfer it all over? It seems like you are

I appreciate that I may have this wrong as I am evidently not the financial whiz kid you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.